Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2002 12:00:30 PM EDT
this particular incident occured on 'gunbroker.com' and was for a kimel ap-9 for 319 including shipping
i sent a cashiers check the day after the auction
6/11/02!!!!!! and still have recieved nothing
he has not cashed the check but my bank wont let me cancel it
it is a ken dushane in new hampshire and according to other feedback left on him he is in prison or something
i am wondering if anyone knows how i can go about getting my money back
thanks for your time
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Why won't the bank let you cancel it.

That sounds crazy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont get mad, get midieval!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest sending the prisoner a letter but talk about guns will probably get tossed.  

Not being able to cancel a check is insane.  Cancel your bank account then.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
As stated above,if not for a 25-30 dollar fee, they wil not cancel their cashiers check,as you say its not cashed,go to the top management first,then if no recourse...CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT!......there are plenty of banks......of course i'd think your out 3bills then.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The cashier's check is the problem.  Payment on a cashier's check cannot be stopped at ANY bank.  That would make the whole idea of a cashier's check useless.  Unfortunately, I think you have to put this down as a learning experience, and use POSTAL money orders, or credit cards via PayPal in the future.

Cashier's checks are as good as cash to the party named on the check.  The only way you can get your money back is to get the cashier's check back unendorsed and return it to your bank.  Personal checks aren't much better, because once they are received by a fraudulent seller, they will deposit them immediately so you won't have time to get suspicious and stop payment.  Postal money orders allow you to sick the USPS on them, and immediately makes the crime a felony.  And credit cards allow you to contest charges.

Sorry about your bad luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I recall a situation where a famous van line put the company I was working for at the time on C.O.D. because our delightful contractor customers had ruined our cash flow and made us, in turn, pay late on earlier shipping.

So we had to cough up a cashier's check for a couple thousand, and following their instructions to the letter, we gave it to their driver when he arrived with the load.

Weeks later, the van line called us again explaining how they needed us to stop payment on the cashiers's check, that it had been "lost".

So they had our bank send us a form to stop payment on the cashier's check.  Now this form was a couple of pages, more extensive than the regular kind, with all kinds of legalese basically protecting the global bank's ass.

Reading between the lines, it seemed that we should order large quantities of alum to restore our butts to something close to their original size, if we were stupid enough to sign their BOHICA form.  So we didn't, figuring that what had really happened was that the driver was holding their cashiers check hostage because they owed [b]him [/b] money.

But the form does in fact exist -  maybe you need to sent a letter to an informed executive, offering to have an attorney and/or the people at
[url]http://www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm[/url]
take a look at the issue.

I'd suggest not relying on phone calls alone, or you may find that you'll be twisting in the wind.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The only way you can get your money back is to get the cashier's check back unendorsed and return it to your bank.
View Quote

Not true.  I've canceled several [i]dozen[/i] cashier's/bank checks for work.  Of course, it was a complete pain in the neck, and you have to sign paperwork stating that you will go to jail for wire fraud if you lie on the paperwork.  I don't know if that's true or not, but the paperwork is very clear on that point.  Go into the bank and talk in person to a customer service rep.  They'll probably complain about what a pain in the neck the paperwork is, but since it has already been 90 days, you should insist.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top