Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2001 11:48:31 AM EDT
What is the rule for using snap caps? It has been said that the AR can dry fire all day long, what about my .357 magnum?  Thanks for the info.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]Modern[/b] centerfire guns should be able to handle it no problem.  Rimfire (.22 lr) should not be dry fired, however as it can ruin the face of the chamber as well as the firing pin.  If you are in doubt, you can always check with your local gunsmith in regards to your particular gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the rule for using snap caps? It has been said that the AR can dry fire all day long, what about my .357 magnum?  Thanks for the info.

Nuckles.
View Quote

Like the man said, modern weapons need no snap caps. The old style handguns like the SA Colts had firing pins that would break if dry fired.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I dry-fired my S&W revos thousands of times without snapcaps.

It is warned that snap-caps should be used on wheelguns with the hammer mounted firing pins. My old model 65 S&W service revolver is on the 3rd firing pin. The new 65 I picked up in '99 has a frame mounted pin and a flat faced hammer. S&W said it could be dry-fired without any problems. I dry-fired(without caps) it 2,000 times the first few days to break it in, and thousands more since. No problems.

Snap-caps are pretty inexpensive. They can't do any harm, only good. I just went digging through my reloading drawer and found a handfull. These say "Armsport .38 sp-Italy w/357M, 38SP & 38 SW" stamped on the case head.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Kenin N:This is a Rossi .357 Magnum with a hammer mounted firing pin. Did S&W say both were safe or just the '99 model?
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I just called and told them I had a new M65 and wondered about dry firing.

We dry fired the hammer-mounted style daily at the Law Enforcement Training Center. I never witnessed any problems with those old M10 Military & Police models. I do think I may have speeded up the breakage on my 2 pins though. The metals in the pins had no flex and broke as if they were cast.

I would recommend snap-caps with the hammer mounted style pin.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a warning, not all modern arms are dry-fire safe.  Beretta's will break with exstensive dryfiring w/o snap-caps.  I.E. a few times O.K., 500-100 times for home training will result in broken firing pin mechanism.

Always consult manual or if necessary, manufaturer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top