Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2002 5:12:27 AM EDT
http://www.registerguard.com/news/Wire/N0054OR--SheikArrested.html[/url]
Dang those intolerant explosives detectors

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Tests indicated explosives residue on the luggage
                             of a local Islamic religious leader arrested at the Portland International
                             Airport on charges of document fraud, a federal prosecutor said Monday at
                             the man's arraignment.

Sheik Mohamed Abdirahman Kariye, 41, was arrested at the airport
                             without incident around noon Sunday and booked at the Multnomah
                             County Jail.

Kariye on Monday pleaded innocent to two felony charges of using false
                             information - including a changed name - while applying for and receiving
                             three different Social Security cards between 1983 and 1995. The federal
                             indictment also alleges that Kariye used an altered birth date in a 1998
                             asylum application.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's play canastas on his ---s until we get some answers.  Enough is enough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Well...just a thought, maybe he works in a firecracker shop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like he's gonna be learning a new trade soon - making license plates.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If we've learned anything since last year, I hope this lead to search warrants on his house and that of his "followers".
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
At the risk of adopting a totally selfish view of this thread, I’m wondering how sensitive these machines are and what exactly constitutes “explosive residue”?

I’ve probably got small amounts of burnt gunpowder residue on everything I own.

And I do occasionally fertilize my yard.

I guess I’d be wise to stop the practice of emptying out my range bag and using it as luggage when flying!
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess I’d be wise to stop the practice of emptying out my range bag and using it as luggage when flying!
View Quote

I was just wondering about that.  I am going to fly for the first time since the 9-11 murders and was planning on taking the same bag I use for mags and ammo for my carry on.  Maybe I sould reconsider...[uzi]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The enemy has no flag, wears no uniform, stages no parades. He could be on the next treadmill at the gym, or the next table at the sports bar. He requires no tanks or submarines; he can operate with a rental car and a box cutter. He may be in Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Germany, the Spanish Riviera or the next motel room. His leader may be dead — or not.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in the portland area and can shed a little more light on this subject.

[b]Chaingun wrote:
Well...just a thought, maybe he works in a firecracker shop[/b]

No, this man did not work in a firecracker shop.

Sheik Mohamed Abdirahman Kariye, 41, was the leader of a South West Portland Mosque that has been under investigation by the FBI, hence the "Sheik" that is before his name. His title would be somewhat similair to say a pastor of a church. This man Sheik Mohamed Abdirahman was the religious leader of the Mosque in South West Portland,Oregon.

FBI spokesperson Beth ann Steele of the Portland,Oregon FBI division has also said publically that Sheik Mohamed Abdirahman has no other job. They found this out by examing transactions in his bank account that showed a total of $85,000 worth of money so they did some research and found this man had no other employment in the area. Red flags went up due to the large amount of money in his account and he has no explanation to were the money came from at this point in time.

[b] 199 wrote:
At the risk of adopting a totally selfish view of this thread, I’m wondering how sensitive these machines are and what exactly constitutes “explosive residue”?

I’ve probably got small amounts of burnt gunpowder residue on everything I own.

And I do occasionally fertilize my yard.

I guess I’d be wise to stop the practice of emptying out my range bag and using it as luggage when flying![/b]

The explosives that were detected on his bag were not consistent with gun powder residue or fertilizer, it was consitent with explosive material that is used in TNT said FBI spokesperson Beth ann Steele of the Portland Oregon FBI division.

This guy has been under investigation for some time. The FBI put an under cover agent in the mosque back in August of 2002. Also concerning this mosque back a few months ago there was another individual that was a muslim of the extreme islmaic faith that was arrested on similar documents fraud, and during his arrest the FBI had found a number of full-automatic AK47's in his vehicle. He had said that he had them for protection due to the bias towards his race after the September 11 terror attacks.

Also concerning Sheik Mohamed Abdirahman, he was trying to get out of the country and was on his way to the United Arab Emerates, with no plans as to come back to the United States. These were plans that he had made out of the spur of the moment. So his trip was not a planned trip!

So given just a few of the facts at hand, this man is not being picked on. Sounds to me that the FBI has been watching him and he got scared and tried to evade before he got busted.

To me this sounds like a man who had some plans in the works for a terror attack possibly in this area, and the FBI might have thwarted it.

But we will most likely never know that aspect of the investigation. So one can only speculate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Too bad we can't hand his azz over to the Israelis and tell them we fear a 'ticking bomb' scenario!

'Jailbirds sing in the Shin Bet Jail.'

Eric The(Tweet,Tweet)Hun[]:)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
MinuteMan3:  Thanks for the great info.  Sounds like this one was for real.

We keep dodging the bullet with all this, I’ve just got to wonder when our luck is going to run out!
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
[b] Eric the Hun wrote:

Too bad we can't hand his azz over to the Israelis and tell them we fear a 'ticking bomb' scenario!

'Jailbirds sing in the Shin Bet Jail.'[/b]

I totally agree with you 100% on this one, the only thing is our government is to politically correct and to diversified to allow such a thinng!

Hell I would extract the information from the man for free!

Nothing that some days of sleep deprevasion, and pulling ones fingernails out one at a time very slowly and then putting salt on the exposed wounds can get accomplished!

Or maybe placeing a bamboo cage big enough to fit on a persons head with one trap door on the cage. After makeing sure the person was adequetely restrained, you place the cage on the persons head, open trap door, install hungry rat, close trap door, and let the rat go to town. I bet information would be available quite easily after such experiences! Such torture would not kill the person, just would motivate them to speak up a little faster!

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also concerning this mosque back a few months ago there was another individual that was a muslim of the extreme islmaic faith that was arrested on similar documents fraud, and during his arrest the FBI had found a number of full-automatic AK47's in his vehicle. He had said that he had them for protection due to the bias towards his race after the September 11 terror attacks.
View Quote

Any word on whether these AK's were registered per NFA guidelines?
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure the AK's were register with BATF.  If not, doesn't matter, he's not a right-wing militia christian.....

About the (gunpowder) residue, I flew out of Houston at the end of January. All my clothes, and most of my luggage have at least some gunpowder residue on them.  I didn't have any problems.

TS [X]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also concerning this mosque back a few months ago there was another individual that was a muslim of the extreme islmaic faith that was arrested on similar documents fraud, and during his arrest the FBI had found a number of full-automatic AK47's in his vehicle. He had said that he had them for protection due to the bias towards his race after the September 11 terror attacks.
View Quote

Any word on whether these AK's were registered per NFA guidelines?
View Quote

I was just about to ask why he wasn't busted for NFA violations myself (I mean, how many transferrable full-auto AKs are out there, anyhow? And how many terror suspects (coming from countries where AKs are a dime a dozen) will go thru the process of getting a legal one, let alone 'multiple' legal ones)?? The FBI being PC, maybe?? Or maybe they want to see who he works with???

Unless, of course, the media got SEMI-AUTOMATIC and FULL-AUTOMATIC mixed up again....
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope you all know that those machine that check for explosives actually just check for nitrates. Nitrates are what make explosives go boom. But they are also used in fertalizer and heart medication. So chances are if you play golf and take heart meds, your gona get busted by the machine. They have a list of questions to ask you when you do get popped posative by the machine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top