Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2002 2:09:03 PM EDT

Can a combo lock on a gun safe (like Sentry) be changed to a keypad mechanism? If so, how $$ is it?

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes,

Lagard or Sargent and Greenleaf (S&G) digital keypads and electronic bolts can be purchased and retrofited to existing safes.

Used locks can be found on Ebay for $60 and up depending on the lock.  If you want specific model numbers or instructions, post back or email me off the board.

Do not by a "spring bolt" type lock, you want a dead bolt type that requires MANUAL manipulation to retract the bolt.  If you search the newsgroups you will find that even a low budget theif can use a hammer, a paper clip and a 9 volt to get into a spring bolt secured safe.

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]

I'd have to dig up my receipt, but I *think* it was under $150 for new S&G electronics for my Fort Knox.

No system is perfect. I opted to change to the electronic keypad for ease of entry (in a hurry, under stress), ability to change combinations, ability to have "supervisor and user" combinations, and the "anti hack" feature of keypad shutdown after X bad tries.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Waldo brings up a couple of good points.

Although I think I overrated the "entry under stress" idea when I was converting my safes.  The locks have a beep that accompanies the press of each key which is not very "tactically correct".

The ability to change the combination is great, I recommend not using any one key twice in your combination, it decreases the use on the keys and makes the keypad last longer.  It also decreases the number of available combinations, but not appreciably.

The "anti-hack" feature is also good.  With my locks, entering the wrong combo 3 times gets you a 1 or 2 minute penalty, another wrong entry gets you a 10 minute penalty.

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Some things should never change...

"I don't need no stinkin batteries..."
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waldo brings up a couple of good points.

Although I think I overrated the "entry under stress" idea when I was converting my safes.  The locks have a beep that accompanies the press of each key which is not very "tactically correct".
View Quote

I had to open mine with the tumbler luck in a hurry once and it taught me a lesson. I can get into mine about 300% faster with the keypad.

I don't care for the keypad tones either, but the keypad on the alarm system just to get into the room with the safe makes the same tones, although I can get around that by disarming the system from any phone extension in the house or by cellphone from outside.

I would rather see the keypad (on the safe) have a real soft low glow back lighted keypad that activated after "any" key was pressed.

At the time, I had to have my things secured this way. (long story) It was never an ideal situation for me, but at that time, that's what I had to do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
How about Browning (Bridger)?

The Browning web site sez digital locks are a factory only option. Can a tumbler lock be replaced with a digital without sending it back to Browning?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sticking with my S&G with locking dial. My home defense stuff doesn't live in the safe anyway, unless I'm going to be away from home for more than a work shift. I prefer to keep it accessible. Then again, there are no young`uns running around my house. If there were, I'd find a better way to store my defense arm, yet keep it safe from the kid(s). A "Gun Vault" would seem a good option....
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, I don't remember beep noises on my S&G when I press the keys.  Only one beep when I press the # after the combo.  

I'll have to go check it out later and verify.

PS.  With the electronic, replace the batteries each year.  Do it on your birthday so you won't forget.

And keep a working flashlight on top of the safe. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember in a real SHTF scenario (If a Nuke goes off "God forbid") you electronic lock is fried!
Stick with the old fashioned dial!
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Remember in a real SHTF scenario (If a Nuke goes off "God forbid") you electronic lock is fried!
View Quote

Hell if a nuke goes off your screwed anyhow so whats it matter?
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Correct will all be screwed like never before! But just Imagine if you are not in the immediate blast or fallout zone, Because of the EMP from the blast your electronic lock gets cooked.You cannot get into your safe to get the stuff you need when you are most in need of it!
I don't think it will be that easy to get a safe smith to make a house call under the circumstances!
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Correct will all be screwed like never before! But just Imagine if you are not in the immediate blast or fallout zone, Because of the EMP from the blast your electronic lock gets cooked.You cannot get into your safe to get the stuff you need when you are most in need of it!
I don't think it will be that easy to get a safe smith to make a house call under the circumstances!
View Quote

Most, if not all safes that have a keypad, also have a "key" backup. To access mine I just remove the battery cover and use the key. No fuss, no muss, no worries about EMP. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
"A key" If you can open it with a key
[b]So can any burgular[/b]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top