Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2002 8:36:51 AM EDT
I saw an incredible Blues guitarist over the weekend. His name is Michael Burks, and that guy can REALLY play ! Has anyone else heard of him ?  Some guys can sing & others can play, but he can do both. He has two CD's out: one called "Make it Rain" put out by Alligator records, and another one that I think is called "From the Inside Out" or something close to that. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of "From the Inside Out" ? I had the opportunity to talk to Mr. Burks before the show, and he said it was out of print & unavailable commercially. The CD was put out by a company he is no longer associated with & even he can't get a copy. He said my best bet was to find someone who had the CD and ask them to burn a copy. Can anyone help me out ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Big blues fan.

Albert King
B. B. King (saw him twice)
Buddy Guy (once, amazing)
Susan Tedeschi (saw once, get the "Just Won't Burn" CD)
Stevie Ray Vaughn (the king)
Johnny Winter
Jimmy Smith (great B3 player)
Donna Oxford

I'll keep an eye open for any Michael Burks stuff.

Just call me STRATS!
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Just call me STRATS!
View Quote

Hey that's me!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I found some copies on gemm.com, not cheap, but they have it.

[URL]http://www5.gemm.com/c/search.pl?sid=301846780&key=66067&disp_ad_format_mode=0&artist=BURKS%2CMICHAEL&title=FROM+THE+INSIDE[/URL]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just call me STRATS!
View Quote

Hey that's me!!! [:D]
View Quote

Guitars 'n' Guns

Gotta love it.

Do you play?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.bluesmagazine.net/C_Disques_chroniques/images/image22/Mickael%20Burks.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bluesongrand.com/gallery%20pics/burksb.jpg[/img]

Below----    live audio of Burk Jamming...    [:)]

[url]http://www.alligator.com/flash/burks2/[/url]

[img]http://www.mnblues.com/cdjpg/mburks250.jpg[/img]
Independent © 1999
(Michael's first CD is currently not available.)
"From the Inside Out" has been acclaimed by Blues Access as one of the most memorable indie releases in a long time.  Blues Revue pens Burks as no less than phenomenal and speculates that he could be the next Luther Allison.  Living Blues Magazine tabs the cd as among the best debuts of the year.  Blues Beat Magazine has honored the powerful guitarist and singer as the newcomer artist of the year.    "From the Inside Out" was also named as among Blues Beat's best recordings of the year. 
Michael has been invited to perform with many of today's stars including:  Buddy Miles, Big Jack Johnson, Son Seals, Tommy Castro, W.C. Clark, Coco Montoya, Tab Benoit, Susan Tedeschi to name a few.  It is time to know that Michael Burks has arrived

Burks Review...  
[url]http://www.mnblues.com/cdreview/cd-mburks.html[/url]

I would suggest emailing your needs to .....
E-mail Ray Stiles at: [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
=Expanding the list a little=
Robert Johnson
John Lee Hooker
and
Eric oh my god Clapton

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Indigenous
add Chris Duarte and Buddy Lang to that list.

Lots of KWS and Indigenous on Kazaa if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found some copies on gemm.com, not cheap, but they have it.

[URL]http://www5.gemm.com/c/search.pl?sid=301846780&key=66067&disp_ad_format_mode=0&artist=BURKS%2CMICHAEL&title=FROM+THE+INSIDE[/URL]
View Quote

Slickbt,

Have you ever ordered anything from gemm.com ? If so, how are they to deal with ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
SRV is too cool.  just got finished burnin' these from my friend's unbelieveable collection.

VAUGHAN BROTHERS /FAMILY STYLE
VAUGHAN, JIMMY /STRANGE PLEASURE      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE /IN THE BEGINNING      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /79/08/20 IN THE OPEN      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /80/07/22 NORFOLK VA      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /81/01/14 FITZGERALDS HUSTON      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /83/05/23 PIER  84 NYC W/B.GUY    
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /83/06/20  
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /84/08/25 LORELEY FEST GERMANY    
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /85/12/07 MILWAUKEE
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /90/08/25ALPINE VALLEY FINAL 1ST OF 2      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /90/08/26ALPINE VALLEY FINAL SHOW EVER    
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /BLUES AT SUNRISE  
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /IN STEP  
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /JAMMIN WITH THE BOYS      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /LIVE ALIVE
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL 84'
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /LIVE EL MOCAMBO TORONTO 83
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /LIVE UNKNOWN  86'
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /MONTREAL MARCH 89
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /SOUL TO SOUL      
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /TEXAS FLOOD STUDIO
VAUGHAN, STEVIE RAY /THE SKY IS CRYING
VAUGHAN,STEVIE RAY /86/12/31 FOX THEATER ATLANTA GA    
VAUGHAN,STEVIE RAY /NASHVILLE STUDIO 1978      
VAUGHAN,STEVIE RAY /TOUCH THE SKY      

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
BB King
Muddy Waters
Paul Butterfield Blues Band [url]http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/aprilskies/20/[/url]
Bishop Blumfield Cooper Sam Lay
Siegel Schwall Band
Otis and the Elevators
Clapton
Duane Allman (bottleneck slide guitar)
                                Lonnie Brooks
                                                                              Ronnie Baker Brooks
                                                                                                                             Paul Butterfield
                                James Cotton
                                                                              Arthur Crudup
                                                                                                                             Willie Dixon
                                Buddy Guy
                                                                              Earl Hooker
                                                                                                                             Elmore James
                                Jimmy Reed
                                                                              Otis Rush
                                                                                                                             Magic Sam
                                Son Seals
                                                                              Magic Slim
                                                                                                                             Otis Spann
                                Hound Dog Taylor
                                                                              Koko Taylor
                                                                                                                             Little Walter

Junior Wells
                                                                                                                             Howlin' Wolf
Stevie Ray

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
May not be exactly blues, and it's all intrumental, but Johnny A's Sometime Tuesday Morning is a great cd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Indigenous
View Quote

I caught them on Austin City Limits (IIRC)

pretty darn cool, I went out the next day and bought all their albums (..OOPS!,  err... CD's) [:D]

same thing with Junior Brown.
I gotta make note to go visit ASL one of these days... [:)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Blues guitarist here - semi working. I like all blues and bluesrock, but it has to have depth and soul, not just chops. People like Otis Rush, Anson Funderburg, Lucky Peterson, Tinsley Ellis, Joe Kubeck, etc, etc, have all 3.

Kenny Wayne Hanson? All flash and no pan. No soul. No depth. Loud and that's about it. IMO of course, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My absolute favorite electric blues musician has to be Hound Dog Taylor.  My favorite acoustic blues musicians are Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, with Leadbelly a close second.

Other great artists:
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Son House
Son Seals
Melvin Taylor
Lightnin' Hopkins
Elmore James
Howlin' Wolf

Clapton may play a mean guitar, but he has no soul, he is just going through the motions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top