Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Freebird. Might as well get hopped up on Thorazine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Freebird, the song that would not end.
"If I leave here tomorrow" - hey, why not just leave here today , so we don't have to listen to 5 hours of endless guitar wanking???

So do you skynyrd fans sing along during 'saturday night special' with the part about throwing handguns in the sea?
"Ain't good for nothin but killin". Yeah man, rock on! You tell them, skynrd! Tell me how women shouldn't have a handgun for self protection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I want thorazine and Freebird,along with my saturday night special!

Van Vante   Bros Rule!     Bob    [:D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"If I leave here tomorrow" - hey, why not just leave here today , so we don't have to listen to 5 hours of endless guitar wanking???

So do you skynyrd fans sing along during 'saturday night special' with the part about throwing handguns in the sea?
"Ain't good for nothin but killin". Yeah man, rock on! You tell them, skynrd! Tell me how women shouldn't have a handgun for self protection.
View Quote

You sound like the guy that went to a Hendrix show ,and complaned about the long guitar plays!

You probably don't like Duwayne Allman either,right?

To each his own,Stevie Ray played just a little too long(for some)   right?

Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Mister Saturday Night Special is the only blight on an otherwise exemplary band. [:)]
I consider it's existance as evidence that Ronnie had a moment of weakness, and in a fit of stupidity, recorded an antigun song.
Everybody has things they regret in their past.  Singers just have it recorded for posterity.
View Quote

Rosie O'Donnell only attacked Tom Selleck once. Guess you're ready to give her a big hippie love smooch too, eh?

I'm from the old school of " it takes 100 'attaboys' to erase an 'aw, shit'".

I've seen LS's "aw shit", and not one "attaboy".
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
My friend is a avid guitar freak and also a huge LS fan.

I asked him about that song just recently and he said that RVZ was not anti-gun.  He was referring to other people that were saying this at the time.

Anyway, I always thought it was anti-gun too...  but still love the music.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Laughing so hard, I have a cramp!
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Mister Saturday Night Special is the only blight on an otherwise exemplary band. [:)]
I consider it's existance as evidence that Ronnie had a moment of weakness, and in a fit of stupidity, recorded an antigun song.
Everybody has things they regret in their past.  Singers just have it recorded for posterity.
View Quote

He had guns also,and was just expressing what he thought a two inched barrel was good for(not your 100 yard gun)  Just made to put a man in a hole(close combat quarters) ain't good for nothing else!

Lighten up a real good tight group(like the eagles) so on,band built at home like the Chili Peppers.

Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey govthug,bastiat

What do guys sleep in your combat boots and with your SHTF Pack strapped on your back?

Chill OUT bro!

Its just a song,and a pretty good one too.Hell I like some songs that don't have lyrics I can understad.Some don't even have lyrics.

Anyhow these guys are rock stars,they live in fantasy land.Thats why they can sit around,smoke a dubbie,and come up with some sweet jams.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What do guys sleep in your combat boots and with your SHTF Pack strapped on your back?
View Quote

Why yes, I sometimes do. On freedom's fronts, protecting your liberties.

It's my privelege and honor to do so.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Really?

When your at home in bed with your wife too?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
No, only when duty requires it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats what I suspected.

Thanks for serving[:)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for your support![:)]

But Skynrd sucks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Can I have the last word here [stick]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#22]
To all. I see this all over the place. Someone says, THAT SUCKS, THEY SUCK, THIS SUCKS,etc, etc, etc. You know what? That is THEIR OPINION! What they SHOULD say is, I THINK this or that sucks. Just because someone "THINKS" that something sucks doesn't make it so.
AB
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
"Saturday Night Special"
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Their taste in airplanes sucks [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Lynrd Skynrd kicks ass. Nothing like driving along on a warm sunny day listening to "Sweet Home Alabama" [^]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Lynyrd Skynyrd is as American as apple pie.  If someone doesn't like them, that is flat out treason in my book.  

[blue]comments like that aren't needed to make your point![/blue]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I love "Sweet Home Alabama," always have. I absolutly hate "Freebird." Damn, they musta' been stoned on 'ludes when they did that one. I particularly hate "SNS."

Many of their songs are about drinking and carrying on with married women. It's no wonder they didn't want guns around.

I don't think Skynrd is the bomb, but their not too bad. Most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyhow these guys are rock stars,they live in fantasy land.Thats why they can sit around,smoke a dubbie,and come up with some sweet jams.

If these guys are SO GREAT, then why do they have to smoke dope to play? Maybe that's why you need to smoke dope to enjoy their music over and over again. Face it. It's good sounding guitar rifts that go nowhere. Even their live stuff sounds the same as the record and goes nowhere. And Yes, I did see the original band live.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lynyrd Skynyrd is as American as apple pie.  If someone doesn't like them, that is flat out treason in my book.  

Edited out of here as well.
Striker
View Quote

Wow, that's the most astute argument I've ever seen on an internet forum. Congratulations. That beats any other rational argument out there. I'll have to use that one. If you don't agree with me, you're gay.

People can like lynyrd skynyrd just like they can enjoy the backstreet boys or michael bolton. Some people don't like them at all.

Mature, self confident people can accept that others have different opinions and tastes in trivial things like music. Insecure, hyspersensitive people with tiny little minds attack others for their taste or distate in bands (here, let me add a 'ha ha' to make that last insult a joke. ha ha.).

I only said skynyrd sucks, I didn't go on to attack those who like skynyrd. Pulling your little stunt doesn't speak well for skynrd or their fans, does it?  

Oh yeah, here's my first 'IBTL'!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, if you don't like Southern Fried Rock in general, then you won't like them.  Simple.  

Here's the deal on SNS.  You can't live you're whole life in protest of ideas.  Yes, the political message of that song sucks.  But, if you restrict everything artistic to enjoy around politics you won't like 95% of anything artistic (as we know most "artists" tend toward a more liberal way of thinking anyway.  

Maybe you don't spend money to support it, but I think you can enjoy it nontheless while objectiely removing your political objections.  

Having said that, it's pretty fuckin cool the way they stomped on that lefty Canandian Neil Young's B.S. "Southern Man" statement, huh?

I mean, they acutally responded to him in a song that was recorded and on the air!  That's certainly NOT PC--sort of like the rap East Coast/West coast thing 20 years early!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lynrd Skynrd kicks ass. Nothing like driving along on a warm sunny day listening to "Sweet Home Alabama" [^]
View Quote

Damn right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I know for a fact that Ronnie Van Zant was NOT anti-gun. He DID write one song that was "objectionable", but you have to remember that in the mid `70's gun rights were not under attack to the extent that they are today. Ronnie was a hunter and like many hunters (even today) was not the type for a defensive mindset in terms of firearms. Not many people back then really felt a need to carry concealed, for example (civilians anyway). The world was a little kinder and gentler than today.
FWIW, I know Ronnie's cousin Jimmy Van Zant personally, and he is as pro-gun as it gets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He had guns also,and was just expressing what he thought a two inched barrel was good for(not your 100 yard gun)  Just made to put a man in a hole(close combat quarters) ain't good for nothing else!
View Quote

Well, that sounds like the antigunners and some hunters.  I have been told by hunters that they think that their long guns are okay, but they see no need for ARs or handguns and they should be outlawed.  They are worse than Rosie in my opinion.  I always tell them that their 'sniper' rifles are next.

I always liked Skynyrd, especially 'Sweet Home Alabama', but after 'Saturday Night Special', I won't listen to them.

Bobbyjack, Dwayne Allman was okay, but Greg is a complete dick.  The wrong Allman brother died on that motorcycle.  As an example of Greg being a dick, he got busted for drugs and instead of taking responsibility for his own actions, he turned in all his friends to stay out of jail.  He was performing at Road Atlanta one weekend.  They brought him around to meet us course workers.  They guy smelled so bad it was nauseating.  So, have absolutely no respect for Greg.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Jlb,

I don't smoke dope.

Maybe you otta give it a try?

Might loosen that hair up your ass.[:)]

I don't really give a damn where the sweet guitar riffs are going.If it sounds good,thats good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Give me three steps is my all time favorite song.  And I really did marry me sister.  Step-sister that is.

Bob B
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#36]
You can still be a patriotic American and NOT like LS.  But we true Southern men know those people are truely Yankees by heart....

if ya dont like Skynard then fuck ya.

:::::Cranks up the Southern Fried rock:::::::

Oh yeah, remember, it is pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-Erd

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top