Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2002 1:15:15 PM EDT
Man shoots nail in his head, doesn't notice

Associated Press
Sept. 06, 2002 11:00:00

SANTA CLARITA, Calif.- A nail in the brain has got to hurt, right? Not to construction worker Jorge Hernandez, who accidentally shot himself in the head with a nail gun and didn't realize it.

Hernandez says he didn't know he had a nail in his head until he saw it in the mirror of his car. The nail apparently ricocheted off a piece of metal, went through his eye socket and lodged in his brain.

He says his face felt hot but he didn't even have a headache. It took doctors three hours to remove the more than-three-inch long spike. Somehow, the nail managed to miss his eye and not cause any brain damage.

Hernandez's brain surgeon feels that kind of luck is better than winning the lottery.
View Quote

[url]http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0906nailhead06-ON.html[/url]

[img]http://www.arizonarepublic.com/news/gifs/breaking/0906nailhead06-ON.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
cali smog deadens pain.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
THis must happen quite alot, or at least I have read about quite afew occurances here in the past few months.  Guess I didn't realize that nailguns were such complex machines to handle [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
These horrendous things should be registered. The people that operate them should be trained. Maybe we should ban these "nailguns". Do it for the kids.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw him on a Spanish TV station. He has a big nasty "Mexi-Mullet"and lived in what looked like a straight up barrio. He scares his 4 kids now. What a fargin' idiot!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
OUCH!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Now really, most people are going to notice if they shoot themselves in the face with a nail gun. This guy must have been using some kind of medication to deaden his nerve endings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
"and not cause any brain damage."

Geee anyone care to hazard a guess as to why this occured????

I say that the target was too small.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These horrendous things should be registered. The people that operate them should be trained. Maybe we should ban these "nailguns". Do it for the kids.
View Quote

I'm glad somebody around here has some sense.  

Let me welcome you to MILT (Mothers Insisting on Licensed Tools).

[url]http://www.allmax.com/MILT/[/url]

Do it for the children.

Link Posted: 9/7/2002 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Proof that humans use ony 5% of their brains.. this nail must of hit the unused 95%.. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe- some people just shouldn't be allowed to use electricity.
If you were raised in a village hut some where without it, you may not be aware of it's potentially lethal side.[B)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
This kind of thing doesn't surprise me.

Several years ago I recall hearing about a WW2 vet that discovered he had a "lump" in his neck

Turns out it was a pistol slug that had been there 50+ years .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top