Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2013 9:11:05 AM EDT
I got an email from a member of the House of Representatives, Matt Salmon this morning that I thought I'd share:

Dear Mr. BJEEP,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns over the recent debate about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Our country is mourning the recent shocking and senseless murders in Aurora CO and Newtown CT by lone individuals seeking to do unspeakable harm to their fellow Americans. In response, it is natural for us as a country to reflect and try to identify solutions and policies that will ensure such horrific events never happen again. Unfortunately, those who have long-sought increased gun restrictions are using these tragedies to once again try and limit the constitutionally guaranteed rights of law abiding Americans to own and operate firearms. It is never more important to fight to protect the rights of individual citizens than in the wake of a tragedy that tempts us with easy "solutions" that limit the rights of all.  

As a gun owner and avid target shooter, I exercise my right as an American to keep and bear arms. I have enjoyed participating in various target shooting activities and value the safe-handling of firearms. I also believe that this natural, God-given right ought to be safeguarded as the Founding Fathers intended when they enshrined it in the Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment exists as a bulwark against those who would deprive the American citizen of his life, his liberty, or his property. This is the essence of the Second Amendment. As a result, I remain very concerned about the Obama Administration's plan to implement gun ownership restrictions. As a result, I join millions of Americans who refuse to allow my rights to be limited because of the action of a few; that is not America.  

Going forward, I will stand as I have always stood, in the defense of all American's constitutional rights and I will continue to advocate for responsible firearm ownership and stand ready to defend against any encroachments on our right to bear arms.

Thank you again for contacting me. As we take up debate on this important issue, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind as we work on solutions that will protect our families. If you have any additional comments or questions, please feel free to contact me or my office at 202-225-2635.

Sincerely,
Matt Salmon
Member of Congress
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top