Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2002 4:29:59 PM EDT
My 94 Toyota PU (4-cylinder, 22RE) is having problems passing emissions... High HC and co2 levels, and a sooty tailpipe. Looks like a rich mixture problem. There is no mixture adjustment (dealer only, it's capped with a metal plug).

Fresh oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs, and brand new 02 sensor... wires appear OK and cap and rotor not bad. Dosn't burn oil and running at 107K miles.

I'm thinking bad cold start injector or something to do with the AFM (though it checks out with an ohmmeter). The cat-converter seems ok also.

Any ideas fellas? (and don't tell me to use a bottle of "will-pass" in the gas tank [:D] )

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

There is no mixture adjustment (dealer only, it's capped with a metal plug).

View Quote

Drive a sheet metal screw part way in and give a good yank with a pair of locking pliars...  It comes right out [}:D]Might not be emmisions legal though...[(:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You should play with the timing a bit. I asked about this a while back for a 92 mazda. If you play with the timing enough, (retard I think,) it will lower the emissions, but it will rob you of power for a while. You should also do it when it is colder in the morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top