Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2013 9:08:22 AM EDT
WAVERLY, Colo. (AP) - Grant Family Farms owner Andy Grant says he was forced to kill 12,000 chickens that he could not afford to feed before he filed for bankruptcy.

Grant says financers who loaned the farm north of Waverly $1.5 million assumed control of its finances and withheld funds from egg sales for feed. He says he did the most humane thing possible, killing the chickens before they starved.

According to the Fort Collins Coloradoan (http://tinyurl.com/aely8zb), the 2,000-acre farm closed last month and filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The bankruptcy required the business to liquidate its assets.

Michael Brownlee, co-founder of Localization Partners LLC that loaned Grant the money, says the chicken operation was separate from the farm and his firm had no obligation to pay for feed

http://www.koaa.com/news/farmer-kills-12-000-chickens-before-going-bankrupt/
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#1]
How exactly did he kill them.

Did he choke his chickens?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What's for dinner?

Chicken...for the rest of our lives!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait till our goverernment starts doing the "most humane thing" about its cattle it can't afford to feed.........
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Luckily he wasn't cranking out carrots too...

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushhogin the birds
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily he wasn't cranking out carrots too...

Subtle, but I think I see what you did there.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad once ran over my pet chicken...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Probably had to switch hands too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top