Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2013 7:10:08 AM EDT
I'm wanting some chili and I'm tired of the pre-packaged mixes.  I don't think I'm ready to tackle roasting, de-skinning or grinding chili peppers yet but I'm looking for a good, old-fashioned chili recipe using fresh veggies, meat and seasonings (no beans  ).   I've looked online and most of what I found looks overly complex, overly bland or just outright bizarre (chocolate in chili??).  I do love tomatoes so recipes with those are welcome.

Anyone care to share!  I've got a slow cooker, a pressure cooker and a good old-fashioned stove top pot for the actual cooking.

Damn, I should have searched first.   Found a really good thread HERE
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've made chili w/o the packet of mix by simply using a lot of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and ranch style beans (I know you said no beans, but that's what I did).

It tasted about the same as using a packet to be honest.

I'm pretty sure I'm just paying $0.69 for a little packet of chili powder, salt, and flour anyway

Speed
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Try allrecipes.com. They even rate the recipes so you know which are the best ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It has begun.

In before the beans vs. no beans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Well son, it isn't chili without beans, so I don't know what you are asking about.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the true to classic recipes made only with chile and meat with sparing amounts of other flavors.  They can be kind of bitter if the cook really doesn't know their shit.

The best recipe I've seen here is VacaDuck's Power Keg Chili.  Although, you may want to adjust his recipe just a bit.  Depending on the season and the chile's you use, it can melt your face off.

ETA:  No beans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a competition with my roommates when I was a nuke in training.  Each week one of us made chili, with two rules: no recipes and no dupes. We had some real winners, one of which occurred when I mistakenly dumped wàaaay too much black pepper in.

Experiment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#8]
My two cents;

No matter how spicy; 1/2 cup clover honey and 1/4 cup rice vinegar to each gal chili.
Somehow, this will enhance and separate the sweet/spicy flavors that you have concocted.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Troll thread!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like this one. It's an arfcommers recipe I stole. Haven't done much to change it except using canned beans instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top