Posted: 1/21/2013 2:56:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Safe forum.  might want to check there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a Stack-On, not the best but will work, what is the price?  Gander usually has Liberty safes for around $1000.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up the 48 safe on Black Friday at Dick's.

Really like it. Just need to rearrange the shelf  and use the velcro type rods to stand up the rifles.

My rifles and shotguns are too long and dont fit in the openings well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dicks, did you miss the memo?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
OP

Any safe is better than no safe at all, obviously.

If you think the 36 is the size that you need now then I would recommend getting a larger one.

ARs with optics use up more room in a safe than hunting rifles.

With the prices for Pmags being what they are now you prolly will want to keep yours in the safe along with your guns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dicks was good to go on Black Friday. They didn't go full retard until after Sandy Hook in mid December.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Better than nothing.

...snip...

ETA: Personally I prefer a dial lock over an electronic one.

Me too.  

And IMHO: I haven't looked at OP's link, but I strongly suggest that more money goes into getting a bigger/better safe and less money should be spent on getting prettier one--especially if you're going to not show it off like another piece of furniture.  I'm just saying that most people I know--now that I think of it more--everyone I know who has a safe, hides it in some way.  So, it just doesn't make sense to pay extra for the finer finishes, like I did .  It was an impulse buy a long time ago after my wife's bicycle was stolen.  I probably could have gotten a 30 ft^3 safe with a rough (I think it's called...), peened finish, for what I paid for the mirror-polished, 25 ft^3.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Better than nothing.

If you can swing the coin get a Liberty Fat Boy Jr.

Me too.

If I can don the tinfoil for just a moment, I would like to be able to access items inside my safe in the case of massive EMP or solar flare.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better than nothing.

If you can swing the coin get a Liberty Fat Boy Jr.

Me too.

If I can don the tinfoil for just a moment, I would like to be able to access items inside my safe in the case of massive EMP or solar flare.

The safes that have electronic locks have keypads that you can remove and use the key to open it

I could be wrong, but I don't think all of them have mechanical/key overrides.

Does the key override compromise the security of the safe by making it easier to pick the lock?

Regardless, I prefer the dial. If the electronic dial goes down they are pricey to replace, IIRC
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The biggest drawback to the electronic locks is simpletons think breaking it off will get them into the safe.
Then you have to get the safe drilled to get into it.
Happened to my buddy but he got lucky, being an electronics tech he rigged up some probes to hook the keypad up to the wire stubs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#16]
It seems to me that everything under a TL-15 is a glorified file cabinet.  Buy the best deal and one with the most features that fit your criteria
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black Friday. Can you fuckin read?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It seems to me that everything under a TL-15 is a glorified file cabinet.  Buy the best deal and one with the most features that fit your criteria
Fairly true. But anyone that isn't out to crack a safe is going to have trouble with anything bolted to a wall in a corner.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a Stack-On, not the best but will work, what is the price?  Gander usually has Liberty safes for around $1000.

It is $599 with a $100 rebate.  So, $499 after all is said and done.  Right now I just have a cheap Stack On that doesn't offer fire protection at all

Get the best you can afford now, upgrade later.  My first safe was a FT KNOX, no fire protection, but secure, I bought from a friend used, I still use it, but bought a Liberty a year ago when Gander had them on sale.
Safes are a good investment, add up the price paid for everything ou have collected over the years and then add up replacement cost, compare, it will really open your eyes.  Makes safes look cheap.

Don't forget to bolt it down and get some type of dehumidifier.  Good luck with whichever safe you choose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top