Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2013 8:37:01 PM EDT
Hey folks, so I've been looking at some "luxury" apartments in CT.  In my current building I have control over the locks that are installed and actually am the only one that has a key.... I'm comfortable with that.

I looked a few apartments today and they all have an electronic locks that uses key-less entry via a key-fob type device (you waive it in front of the lock).  The building maintenance has access to each apartment but access via these key-fobs is logged.  What's the hives opinion on this type of setup?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
what happens when the power goes out? battery/generator powered?

Someone from the movie Fast and Furious could easily get into that thing!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The OWNERS of the APARTMENTS that people rent need keys in case upstairs dumps water into downstairs for whatever reason or mechanical failure. If you don't want anyone else to have access, buy your own place.

That said, card reader access is only solid until a card is stolen and not reported until its noticed.

Any lock can be bypassed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
what happens when the power goes out? battery/generator powered?

Someone from the movie Fast and Furious could easily get into that thing!

Battery back-up. They run on low voltage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar set up with a USB Flashdrive looking key dealy.

I thought it was neat that I had logs of who came in and when, and it was battery operated with a neat warning deal when battery was getting low... but it got annoying having a bigger-than-usual key on my key ring.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top