Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 8:20:20 AM EDT
So easy, a 5 year old could do it, rivals the bread in any decent high end bakery, and it involves very little work!

Sometimes good things come out of the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0

Google No Knead Bread for a few thousand different variations of the recipe....

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#1]
cool
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
tagganated!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag to give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So easy, a 5 year old could do it, rivals the bread in any decent high end bakery, and it involves very little work!

http://i49.tinypic.com/123xve0.jpg

Been around for a long while...makes great bread.  

One place recommended using some dark bread for more intense flavor in place of some of the water.

I don't use tap water (can affect the yeast growth)...use distilled or bottled, and I mix the yeast into the water well..to completely dissolve... then into the flour/salt (that's been blended well).

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
i'de rather knead it and not have giant holes in the bread
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Been making that bread for years, it's damned tasty!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd rather halve it and not knead it than knead it and not halve it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
No knead is awesome, make some butter too from heavy cream.

I stopped eating bread
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. I couldn't get the quote right in my head fast enough. Nice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Wife and I bought a cast iron pot with a lid just to make bread like in those videos. It NEVER turned out the way they did in the videos.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
This seems pretty simple. Even if bread is terrible for your health.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#14]
dupe...from 6 years ago

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/567491_.html

I have since gone mostly paleo...no more bread for me

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
tag

knowing how to make your own bread, and having the items stored away to make it will be part of the key to your survival some day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wife and I bought a cast iron pot with a lid just to make bread like in those videos. It NEVER turned out the way they did in the videos.

mine always did....

you using good filtered non-chlorinated water? fresh yeast? All purpose flour?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well played, sir!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
nomnomnom
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

http://i49.tinypic.com/123xve0.jpg

Or you could just stop eating bread

looks tasty

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the beer bread is easier and you can change the taste of the bread simply by changing what beer you use. Guinness usually turns out sweet for the record
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sometimes you have to experiment with it a bit...before you get it the way you like it.
Ovens cook differently and changes in elevation most definitely have an effect on the outcome of a recipe.
I use recipes as a guideline...

For this recipe, I used active dry yeast (since I have a massive amount of it) instead of the instant and it turned out just fine.
Seems to be a very forgiving recipe...

I'm trying a chocolate loaf right now

http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/2008/01/chocolate-bread/

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the beer bread is easier and you can change the taste of the bread simply by changing what beer you use. Guinness usually turns out sweet for the record

In ancient times, beer making and bread making went hand in hand...
(It's where the yeast for the bread came from).
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Groan... Hit the button
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
tag

knowing how to make your own bread, and having the items stored away to make it will be part of the key to your survival some day.

You can store raw wheat for over 20 years....just buy a grain mill and grind it up into flour for SHTF.
Make sure you experiment with your flour though..you need to adjust your recipe for the gluten content in the flour...
You can buy a huge box of vital gluten cheap or mix different varieties of wheat.  

I'm going to try making this recipe while camping in a dutch oven over a fire...and see how it comes out...
Seems to be a great SHTF recipe and everyday recipe...

For the lazy, you can buy a huge bag of decent flour and a block of active dry yeast cheap at Costco...
You can have fresh bread for pennies a loaf...and it doesn't have any crap in it such as HFCS or various preservatives.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

mine always did....

you using good filtered non-chlorinated water? fresh yeast? All purpose flour?

I used chlorinated tap water, and all purpose Pillsbury flour...and yeast that is over two years old (I store mine in the freezer though).
Came out great... but I do know the yeast that I am using is good...you can test it to make sure it is alive (http://allrecipes.com/howto/proofing-yeast/)
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes you have to experiment with it a bit...before you get it the way you like it.
Ovens cook differently and changes in elevation most definitely have an effect on the outcome of a recipe.

For this recipe, I used active dry yeast (since I have a massive amount of it) instead of the instant and it turned out just fine.

Mine comes out almost exactly like the video.....make sure you are NOT using tap water (the chemicals can retard yeast growth..had the daughter try growing it in various sugars for a science fair project...and try with tap water vs. distilled to show the difference....it basically didn't grow in the tap water).

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I can't see making a PBJ with bread that looks like that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Ezekiel bread!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks good.  The fresh bread trick I use is to buy a couple of pounds of pizza dough from my favorite pizza place.  Ball it up, let it proof up and then shape it into a loaf, spread butter on top and sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper and pop into a 425 degree oven.  30 minutes later I have a loaf that people think came from an artisan bakery.

This will only work with a pizza place that uses real fresh kneaded dough that gives a risen crust.  The cracker like stuff or chain restaurant doughs won't work well at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I think cornbread would be better as a survival food than wheat bread.

According to what I've read, a lot of people made it through the Depression on a diet of little else besides cornbread and buttermilk.

I used to eat a lot of cornmeal mush.  Filling, cheap, quick, easy and pretty nutritious for a one-dish meal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't see making a PBJ with bread that looks like that.

Here is a loaf variation for the PBJ crowd...

http://www.breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead/
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine comes out almost exactly like the video.....make sure you are NOT using tap water (the chemicals can retard yeast growth..had the daughter try growing it in various sugars for a science fair project...and try with tap water vs. distilled to show the difference....it basically didn't grow in the tap water).

AFARR

Could vary with what is used in the water system...
Around here, tap water works just fine...(I'm on city water).
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd fuck it I'm foing, but I gotta wait 18 hours to eat delicious bread?? What? How do I know what I'll be doing or where I'll be in 18 hours!?>:??

WonderB here I come....
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
SNip...

Could vary with what is used in the water system...
Around here, tap water works just fine...(I'm on city water).

Undoubtedly.  

For her experiment she used measured quantities of water and yeast, and the 'sugar' (sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, artificial sweeteners) was the variable.   Had her use distilled water.
They were mixed for the same amount of time and put into a standard container (old 1 L water bottle).  A balloon was put over the mouth of the bottle and the size of the balloon indicated the amount of CO2 produced by the yeast.    

Our tap water (just as an add on experiment instead of the distilled water) with the regular sugar literally didn't make the balloon expand at all.   Saw that and now only use bottled/distilled water for any yeast recipes and have never had a problem since.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I am starting to worry about GMO foods.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If we had some ham we could have some ham and eggs if we had some eggs.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<golfclap>

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am starting to worry about GMO foods.

Don't worry, be happy. If you start worrying about GMO's you'll soon start thinking those contrails in the sky are the government spraying us with something. And it goes downhill from there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#40]
FUCK THE NEW YORK TIMES. DON'T GIVE THOSE FUCKERS ANY TRAFFIC.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag cause I like bread....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought you guys were boycotting NY bread recipes????
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I thought you guys were boycotting NY bread recipes????

NYC is good for some things....and food is one of them.
I like NYC...but I sure as hell would not want to live and work their...
Nice enough to visit if you have the chance...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top