Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2002 6:57:51 AM EDT
With the 1 year of 9/11 coming up next week I am in a quandary about what to do. I get so PISSED off thinking about it.

1. Take the day off and be with wife and remember what has happened and what needs to happen.

2.Go to work and make money for the company and myself and not let the bastards disrupt my life. Seems like something more should happen.

GOT TO DO SOMETHING !
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to do my duty and work my ass off in a grim reminder of what happened that dark day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to work, work my day, go home kiss my wife and 8 week old son, and then go to the range and blast off my aggression, come home and kiss my wife and son again and be extremely thankful that I have the option and the right to do so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Drive around with my new bumper sticker:
"Muhammad Licks My Cod"
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
probly watch the history channel and all the documentrys on it that they will show.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
If things haven't changed by then, I will likely dedicate the day to helping call attention to edpmedic's situation.

I will probably pray and ask God to have mercy on humanity.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Take a very short time to remember my reaction when I heard of the first plane crash.  Then my reaction when I heard of the second one.  And say a short prayer for those who were lost and will be lost until this war is over.

I wear headphones to use AM talk radio to mask the conversation noise from other cubicles.  I was listening on that day.

My reaction to the first was to announce the crash to my co-workers and say "I thought they had that fixed a long time ago after the crashes into the Empire State Building".

My reaction to the second was to stand up and somberly tell my co-workers "We are at war, a second plane has crashed into the WTC".

Other than that, I'm going to live life normally.  To not do that is to let the bastards win.

[USA]

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Memorial at the lobby of my law school that morning. This is where I first found out about the attacks, then watched on TVs they brought out as the second tower, then the Pentagon, got hit. Seems appropriate.
Then I'll go to class, and then I'll go to the range to remind myself of what is at stake.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll probably drive around town looking for some muslim extremists to beat the shit out of.....[;)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#12]
gonna send some AR15 rounds down range ending up the forehead of my OSAMA face target...brad
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#13]
The 11th is Wednesday right? I'm going to work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll be on a commercial airliner most of the day.  [:(]

DrMark
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll probably drive around town looking for some muslim extremists to beat the shit out of.....[;)]
View Quote

Save some time - go downtown to any major city  & hail a taxi cab!
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be at Thunder Ranch, taking the Urban Rifle course.  [sniper]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I get pissed off, too--because everyone thinks we have to have a national holiday over this!  Frankly, I'm tired of 9/11, sick and damn tired of it.  It has been drilled into my consciousness for an entire year--not a fucking day has gone by when I didn't hear some reference to it in the news.  9/11 was a tiny incident in a country of over 300 million, yet it has shaken the entire country to its core--must not be a very strong, brave, or free country, I guess.

I'm tired of it, I don't care about it, it had no effect on me directly.  The only effect I can see is that my civil rights were taken from me by my own government, which utterly failed to prevent the attack and whose foreign policy is still leaving us wide open for the next one.  That same government is now doing its level best to get American involved in yet another pointless and disruptive war for no other reason than it can.    

So here's what I'm going to do:  My best to not watch television, listen to the radio, or read any newspapers for the rest of the month, if not the rest of the year.  It's all propaganda--if Fox News uses the phrase "gunman" one more fucking time, I will show them a real gunman.  Today, some guy in Atlanta forgot his CCW and tried to get through airport security.  Now he will spend time behind bars for doing nothing more than exercising a civil right.  And they called him a gunman despite the fact that he never actually drew the weapon or ever intended to.    

You don't have to do anything except get a life and stop quaking in your boots over the handful of terrorists in the world because they aren't your biggest threat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I get pissed off, too--because everyone thinks we have to have a national holiday over this!  Frankly, I'm tired of 9/11, sick and damn tired of it.  It has been drilled into my consciousness for an entire year--not a fucking day has gone by when I didn't hear some reference to it in the news.  9/11 was a tiny incident in a country of over 300 million, yet it has shaken the entire country to its core--must not be a very strong, brave, or free country, I guess.

I'm tired of it, I don't care about it, it had no effect on me directly.  The only effect I can see is that my civil rights were taken from me by my own government, which utterly failed to prevent the attack and whose foreign policy is still leaving us wide open for the next one.  That same government is now doing its level best to get American involved in yet another pointless and disruptive war for no other reason than it can.    

So here's what I'm going to do:  My best to not watch television, listen to the radio, or read any newspapers for the rest of the month, if not the rest of the year.  It's all propaganda--if Fox News uses the phrase "gunman" one more fucking time, I will show them a real gunman.  Today, some guy in Atlanta forgot his CCW and tried to get through airport security.  Now he will spend time behind bars for doing nothing more than exercising a civil right.  And they called him a gunman despite the fact that he never actually drew the weapon or ever intended to.    

You don't have to do anything except get a life and stop quaking in your boots over the handful of terrorists in the world because they aren't your biggest threat.
View Quote

I can understand how you feel, but the general sheeple masses, if you don't drill it into
their tiny little brains, they will forget and
go back to their complacent "don't make me think or put forth any effort" lives.
Then, once "The People" have lost resolve/concern - so will the politicians - then nothing will be done.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna attend the UC Berkeley non-patriotic/God-free service to remember the Muslim victims of US oppression.

[b]Some Cal students move to exclude patriotic symbols from 9-11 Day of Remembrance[/b]
By Steve Sexton

The "Star Spangled Banner" is too patriotic, divisive and political, so organizers of UC Berkeley's day-long tribute to the victims and heroes of 9-11 are excluding it. "God Bless America" is doubly excluded. Not only is it patriotic, but it also mentions God, something else that is taboo next Wednesday.

The Sept. 11 Day of Remembrance, sponsored by the Chancellor's office, the student body government and the Graduate Assembly, will also feature student leaders distributing white ribbons, instead of the red, white and blue ones they had originally planned.

"We thought that may be just too political, too patriotic," said Hazel Wong, chief organizer for the Associated Students of the University of California (ASUC). "We didn't want anything too centered on nationalism-anything that is 'Go U.S.A.'"

Wong said the event organizers are "trying to steer away" from anything political, and that, she said, includes singing the National Anthem and displaying the red, white, and blue. She said they don't want politics disrupting mourning and grieving.

"To hold a Sept. 11 memorial service devoid of patriotism is counterintuitive," said Mark Engberg, a UC Berkeley freshman. "Holding a service without patriotism is like holding a presidential debate without mentioning politics. It doesn't work."

Jessica Quindel, president of the Graduate Assembly, a key player in the planning, said the day's events are about more than just grieving. She said the day is, in fact, about politics. And it's not just about Sept. 11, but also the aftermath, including President Bush's response to the terrorist attacks.

"We are trying to stay away from supporting Bush," Quindel said. "We don't want to isolate people on this campus who disagree with the reaction to Sept. 11."

Quindel, a self avowed hater of the American Flag, the federal government, and the "Star Spangled Banner," said she is still patriotic. "It depends on your definition of patriotism. Everyone has a different definition," she said.

Patriotic songs may exclude and offend people, Quindel said, "because there are so many people who don't agree with the songs." "God Bless America" is "very exclusive" because it mentions God, she said. Though plans call for four university music and song groups to perform at an evening vigil, not a single patriotic song will be sung, at the behest of organizers. Instead, songs of remembrance will be offered up.

Also, to prevent the exclusion of those who don't believe in the American Flag, there will be no tribute to the flag. "The flag has become a symbol of U.S. aggression towards other countries. It seems hostile," Quindel said.

Quindel will be one of two people selecting speakers for short speeches by students during a noontime event on Memorial Glade. Students must pre-register indicating the topic of the comments they wish to make-classifying them into categories of mourning, religious and political.

That system doesn't wash with Robb McFadden, director of the California College Republicans. "If Quindel and her Marxist comrades are selecting the speakers, I think there are serious violations of fundamental fairness," he said. "How can we expect freedom of speech to be filtered through such a radical political ideologue?"

Scheduled speakers at the Memorial Glade assembly include Chancellor Robert Berdahl, ASUC President Jesse Gabriel, and Quindel. They will likely speak, according to Wong, about peace.

Those who aren't selected to speak by Quindel and her undergraduate counterpart, Gabriel, will have an opportunity to speak at an open microphone assembly in the evening. But if last year's open microphone assembly on the night the attacks occurred is any guide, there will likely not be an opportunity for patriotic speech Wednesday. At last Sept. 11's vigil, members of the Berkeley College Republicans were shouted down while speaking of patriotism.

The primary planner for Chancellor Berdahl, Colleen Rovetti, director of university events and ceremonies, said she did not know avoiding patriotism was an overriding objective of the student planners. She echoed remarks by other organizers stressing their intent to make the event a memorial and not a protest.

Gabriel said organizers aim to "separate political beliefs from mourning." "Singing 'God Bless America' may prompt people to shout it down," he said.

Similar fears of aggression toward the flag prompted Berkeley's fire chief to order American flags removed from fire trucks. City leaders worried protesters would attack the flag and comprise firefighters' ability to do their job. After national outcry, the flags were returned to the fire trucks.

Members of the Berkeley College Republicans attended the student senate meeting last night to urge their elected leaders to alter the plans for the Sept. 11 memorial to include patriotic themes.

"If we leave patriotism and religion out of this event, we'd be reducing the memorial to a bunch of anti-American whining, said Republican ASUC Senator Paul LaFata. "Patriotism has a place on this campus, and by excluding it, the ASUC has done exactly what they wanted to avoid. They have offended students."

The Republicans were countered by those supporting the decision of the event organizers. The decision's proponents argued that patriotism leads to nationalism. They also said patriotism would exclude students who are not American citizens.

Quindel said it would be inappropriate for the university to endorse patriotic themes, and urged students to express their views at the open microphone sessions.

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Go to work, and probably gather together in our boss office for a moment of silence, and say a few prayers. Go home at the end of the day to hug the wife and kids.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm gonna attend the UC Berkeley non-patriotic/God-free service to remember the Muslim victims of US oppression.........

......Quindel said it would be inappropriate for the university to endorse patriotic themes, and urged students to express their views at the open microphone sessions.

View Quote

That article made me sick.  Those people just don't get it. [puke]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey thanks this is what I was looking for. I will mull over your ranting while I try not to care about a handful of terrorists NATIONS that not only want to strip me of ANY rights but also want us dead.

NYC is pretty far away from Norfolk VA what does it matter to me. OH wait, there is the wife's uncle who is a NYC fireman and his family.Your right why should I care what happened to them.

I will also try to ignore the next Veterans day and Memorial day, pearl harbor,Christmas, 4th of July. I'm just sick and fucking tired of that shit every god damm year too.

Thanks for opening my eyes to the options that I have ignored. I guess I have been just quaking in my boots with out even knowing it.

I hope the kid you said got busted carrying a gun through the airport is ok. I assume he was a child because an adult would have to be an idiot to not know about packing heat in a airport. [frag]

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's no one anywhere that seems to know what to do with us. Now into it. We know the air is unfit to breath, our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad. Worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy so we don't go out anymore. We sit in a house as slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster, and TV, and my steel belted radials and I won't say anything." Well I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad. I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crying in the streets. All I know is first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm a human being. God Dammit, my life has value." So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" I want you to get up right now. Get up. Go to your windows, open your windows, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Things have got to change my friends. You've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open your window, stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

-- Howard Beale
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#29]
For me, the memory of the event will always be with me; the shock, the horror, the disbelief.

Since then, I haven't had the luxury of taking time to honor the dead and the anniversary will be no different.  I'm the security director for a large company in the heart of a downtown area surrounded by 22 other high profile targets.

Last weekend, I ran security officers through NBC attack recognition and response training in hopes that they might make a difference if the next attack comes here, and in one of those forms. I hope they'll make a difference.

Stay safe everyone. Never forget.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm gonna attend the UC Berkeley non-patriotic/God-free service to remember the Muslim victims of US oppression.
View Quote

I hope your green card is up soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would like to go to the range and shoot Osama
targets. But I will go to work as usual and have a
moment of silence and say a prayer for the people
who [s]died[/s] where killed, and their families.
View Quote

Luckily I'm off on the 11th.. I [b]will[/b] be going to the range and shooting both Osama and Saddam, at 100, 200 and 300+ yard ranges.  I should be so lucky to get to take that shot in real life... I'd make sure I'd get them in the liver.

Prayers will go out to so many different people that day, I won't bother to list them all here.

u-baddog, don't give any creedence to trickshot... He's just stirring the shit.  He seems to need attention or something, like a little kid who misbehaves just to get his parents attention.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#33]
My plans for 9/11?

Taking the day off. It's my birthday. At 08:00 I have an "Discovery Flight" scheduled with one of the local flight schools. It will be a little later than I had hoped, but I will still be giving the middle finger to the Middle East from about 5000 feet.

From there, I'm going to the range to shoot bin Laden targets. I still need to pick some of the exploding targets to juice things up. That will be a blast.

That afternoon, I'm planning to be home with my family. My kids are way too young to understand. But, it will make me feel better.

That night, I'm going to church for the first time (on a Wednesday) in about 16 years. Tom Dooley of [url]http://www.mastermedia.org[/url] is doing his "America's Lost Dream" presentation at the church I attend. Everyone in the vicinity (D/FW area) is welcome to attend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Going out to the range to work the last few bugs out of my recently rebarreled M-1 Garand in .308 caliber.  Want to be prepared in case of an Osama sighting.  You guys would be pissed at me if I could only muster a gut shot vs. a head shot.  Don't want to let you down.

vmax84
".308 holes will hopefully make an invisible soul out of that s.o.b. someday soon"

Keep the faith.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll probably be at work surfing here, just like I was a year ago.  This is where I heard the news and saw the first photo.  After some added the post another one crashes into the WTC "me thinks is not an accident" I left work and went home and watched it on TV.  I was supposed to go to the Tool concert that night.

It was cancelled.

Can someone resurrect that original thread?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#36]
the surge of fair weather patriotism, and how it was "trendy" to be an american again.
the turning of my beloved flag into a fashion symbol and a competition against your suburbanite neighbors as to who could be more "patriotic"

the fact that suddenly, every fucking car on the road has some type of flag bumper sticker.

the sadness in thinking that this is just all a trend and will fade away when it's not "cool" anymore.

that's what i'll remember.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I was patriotic before patrioric was cool....  And will remain so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#38]
By sheer coincidence I'll be in lower Manhattan next week. Wednesday I'll make my way to ground zero.

Not really sure how I'll feel other than:

... Helpless, but not hopeless because we will strike the real perpetrators soon.

... Sorrow, for our fallen brethren but not sorry just vengeful.

... Sad, but happy I live in America.

... Naked, because I will not be armed, but I will return home soon.

... Lonely, because I'll be without my familiar friends, family and neighbors, but I'll be among friends, family and neighbors anyway!

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Will be part of corrections convention cerimony to honor the fallen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Well just got a email and the Blackwater IPSC[url]www.blackwaterusa.com/index2.html [/url] club meeting will be on that day. That's cool.
We have some SEALS thats shoot with us. It would be nice to buy rounds of drinks for the guys that are kicking ass and taking names on this day.

Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm gonna watch Iraq get their asses kicked...
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#43]
...I'll also be going on duty, with a grim memory of that day...
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to my sisters apt with my family where we will have a small remembrance and prayers for our friends who we lost on that day, and for the fallen Heroes and innocent victims as well....Never Forget.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I will be celebrating my 43rd birthday.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/mecry.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm gonna say a few prayers then go to the range.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm gonna be on a fly out hunting trip to points unknown.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll be flying out to a 6 day fishing trip in the Fla keys,  tropical storms not allowed, loose women tightened,  that sort of thing.

Since I cannot legally carry a handgun there,
my guide is going to let me borrow a pistol grip shotgun for my stay.[:D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top