Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2013 5:19:08 PM EDT
Last winter I had a pair of tires delivered via FedEx and the delivery guy verbally berated my teenage stepson because they couldn't get up my driveway.  I hunted them down to give them an ear full and found them stuck in a parking lot.  They had a dually 2wd box van and no chains.  Today I nearly snapped on my bosses secretary because my paycheck she overnighted on Thursday still hadn't arrived.  Turns out FedEx had it on the truck the last two days and didn't  deliver it and didn't bother to call or walk the 20 yards up the drive to deliver the envelope.  Fuck those lazy bastards and their dipshit managers that thought 4wd or maybe tire chains might be a good idea in Montana.  Not that I have yet to need either to get up my driveway and neither has the pizza guy or UPS.  I will never ship anything via FedEx if there is any way I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
To be honest, after regularly buying/ selling/ shipping lots of stuff on the interwebz in the last decade, I can say that FedEx has given me not much headache at all.  They are gods compared to USPS.

IME:  UPS > FedEx > USPS
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Never really had a problem with Fedex, or UPS. I usually scorn the USPS, they never fail to disappoint me. I avoid whenever possible.

ETA: I always use the UPS and Fedex > USPS example whenever I argue that the private sector is wayyy better than .gov
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
FedEx is amazing and UPS is absolute garbage.

But that may be because I live in a Memphis suburb.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had a problem with their service really. But, the USPS started doing "street addressing" for their PO Box customers. Now UPS, DHL, Fed Ex, etc can deliver to your box. But it seems Fed Ex pretty much refuses to deliver there because of some competition BS, which sucks. If it's coming to my apt though, I think they might be better than UPS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Lost a money order last week.  
But other thank that they've been fine
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My bet is that you are getting stuck with contract FedEx guys.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
USPS sucks balls! They said they had left a delivery notice 2 times in one day and both the time they said they came by, I was there. So whatever system they are using is flawed the fuck out. JMO
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll let Fred Smith know you think that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no problem with them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Interesting.   That would explain a lot.  I will have to look into this.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I am doing some contract work for them and needed to get some documents sent overnight for their deadline.  Of course they were sent FedEX.  The documents did not show up the next day and guess what, my company was left to blame.  Go Figure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Never really had a problem with Fedex, or UPS. I usually scorn the USPS, they never fail to disappoint me. I avoid whenever possible.

ETA: I always use the UPS and Fedex > USPS example whenever I argue that the private sector is wayyy better than .gov

Lately they've (Fedex) have been handing off to the .gov post office for delivery.  I know it allows for saturday delivery, but I keep my fingers crossed and cringe everytime I see them do that on the tracking log.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lately they've (Fedex) have been handing off to the .gov post office for delivery.  I know it allows for saturday delivery, but I keep my fingers crossed and cringe everytime I see them do that on the tracking log.

FedEx also does deliveries for USPS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Fed EX is bar none the least reliable carrier in this area.

For my wifes birthday I bought her a 1500$ camera and lense off walmart.com

The tracking showed it going straight to a porch in california.

Please note that I live in WV.

Wally world made it good and overnighted another one.

When we looked on Fed Ex tracking it showed the exact address it was left at, amazing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Everything is dependent on your area and what kind of people they have working for them, they also tend to use a lot of contractors.

Lately, FedEx have been better for my area compared to UPS.  FedEx deliver hours earlier than UPS do.  Both hubs are also 40 miles away in two different directions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Call the local hub and speak with a supervisor, they take complaints very seriously.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#17]
If I don't ship USPS, I ship Fedex. Never had a package get lost or damaged.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Where I live UPS is the best followed very closely by FedX, USPS is a very very dismal last!
I have no problem with FedEx at all, but I prefer UPS as they have been the most reliable over time, the USPS has fucked up more deliveries than I want to talk about and I do not use them at all any more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lately they've (Fedex) have been handing off to the .gov post office for delivery.

That's because your shipper is using the cheaper FedEx smartpost service. Don't blame FedEx because of the type of shipping their customer chose.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Well look at that.  I think I'll be letting FedEx know what a bunch of worthless fuckups they have contracted with and what they are doing to their reputation.

Independent Service Providers (ISPs) are incorporated small businesses that contract with FedEx Ground to provide Pickup and Delivery services under an ISP Agreement. Since its initial launch in New Hampshire, the ISP Model has been launched in Maryland, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Vermont, Massachusetts, Montana, Minnesota, Illinois, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware and Mississippi.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.   That would explain a lot.  I will have to look into this.  

Yep, sounds like FXG and not FXE.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I hate Fedex with a passion, Thay leave my shit at houses all around me and i have the address on my porch just for these fuckers.

a few years back thay left a small package of mine at the house next door, those people dont use their front door

and the Fedex guy pryed the locked screendoor open at the top and dropped my package down inside between the

screendoor and the woodin door, three years later thay found it and gave it to me.  

Three years earlyer when i didnt receive it i called the sender and thay filed a clam and sent me anther one for free.

Im at the point if a vender uses Fedex i wont order from them,  Im a big fan of UPS .
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hate Fedex with a passion, Thay leave my shit at houses all around me and i have the address on my porch just for these fuckers.

a few years back thay left a small package of mine at the house next door, those people dont use their front door

and the Fedex guy pryed the locked screendoor open at the top and dropped my package down inside between the

screendoor and the woodin door, three years later thay found it and gave it to me.  

Three years earlyer when i didnt receive it i called the sender and thay filed a clam and sent me anther one for free.

Im at the point if a vender uses Fedex i wont order from them,  Im a big fan of UPS .

I have never had a bit of problem with UPS, but FedEx here has pissed me off more often than not.  I'll be calling FedEx ground

Headquarters to give them a bit of advice about their local contractor's ineptitude.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
The express guys get 4wd vans here during the winter
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate FedEx. I had my iPhone4 sent to my house, supposed to be signed for, they left it on the porch. Had a watch sent, said they left it on the porch, next day FedEx guy drops it off early that morning.

Have them now deliver to work and they come late so the 2nd shift has to get it sometimes.

Love UPS though always get my stuff in the morning and no problems
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
To be honest, after regularly buying/ selling/ shipping lots of stuff on the interwebz in the last decade, I can say that FedEx has given me not much headache at all.  They are gods compared to USPS.

Man, I can't agree with this. What I've found is:

UPS = Takes a lifetime, and not so cheap.
FedEx = Costs, but arrives on time, and in good shape.
USPS = Priority mail shows up two to three days from across the country, and in good shape.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, I can't agree with this. What I've found is:

UPS = Takes a lifetime, and not so cheap.
FedEx = Costs, but arrives on time, and in good shape.
USPS = Priority mail shows up two to three days from across the country, and in good shape.

My experience as well.
We ship about 50-80 packages a month , called UPS to see about getting a cheaper rate(they are AT LEAST DOUBLE  the $$ of USPS) After talking to the UPS rep, getting EXACT quotes, I told him their prices were OVER 50% higher, than what I was paying now, his reply " If you want I think my superviser can get you an additional 10% off"   . . . . UMMMM , OK then you will only be 40% higher

Forgot , they wanted to charge me $10.00 a week for the OPTION of using the enternet to schedule a pickup.  ?  ?  ? AHHH . . . . NO!
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm on a first name basis with both my FedEx and UPS guys, I even bought a rifle off my UPS guy.  My letter carrier on the other hand is stealing our oxygen.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I agree with this and anything important you send with USPS needs to be sent certified
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#31]
FedEx is horrible here as well. I have a long list of crap on them and try to not have anything shipped through them ever. One driver stole our Disneyland tickets and was caught red handed with them, another time they threw a laptop over my fence which you can imagine how that turned out
No problems at all with UPS or USPS
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I love Fed Ex!

I get fed Ex boxs at least twice a week for work.  Granted they go to hold for pick up but the staff there is great.  If they plane is late due to weather they will call us when the boxes come in.

I have had really good luck with Fed Ex ground too.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This right here.  Those guys can fuck up a wet dream and I refuse to do business with them.  A couple years ago my Dad bought an antique bicycle and the seller shipped it FedEx.  The tracking number showed it going from Nashville to Chattanooga, then back to Nashville, then back to Chattanooga and then it disappeared.  Numerous calls to regional supervisors got zero results other than "Sorry, you should file a claim".  We're not talking a small box here, it was a damn full size bicycle!  And to add insult to injury, they refused to pay the insured value because of some BS policy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Last winter I had a pair of tires delivered via FedEx and the delivery guy verbally berated my teenage stepson because they couldn't get up my driveway.  I hunted them down to give them an ear full and found them stuck in a parking lot.  They had a dually 2wd box van and no chains.  Today I nearly snapped on my bosses secretary because my paycheck she overnighted on Thursday still hadn't arrived.  Turns out FedEx had it on the truck the last two days and didn't  deliver it and didn't bother to call or walk the 20 yards up the drive to deliver the envelope.  Fuck those lazy bastards and their dipshit managers that thought 4wd or maybe tire chains might be a good idea in Montana.  Not that I have yet to need either to get up my driveway and neither has the pizza guy or UPS.  I will never ship anything via FedEx if there is any way I can avoid it.

First world problems.

And 4wd just means four tires spinning instead of two. Depending on differential and loss of traction, it could still be 2 spinning. Chains/studs would help.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hernando?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
In my experience it comes down to the individuals you have to deal with. Some take pride in their jobs and some don't. I've gone up to a FedEx distribution center counter, and the lady did not know how to scan a QR code. Then she forgot to even bill me.  It's sad when you get spammed with emails about great new features, but then in reality no one is trained on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I fucking loathe FEDEX.

2006- While home on leave, ex wife threatens to vandalize my truck back in SC. I overnight my key to a friend... it scanned IN to the dallas sorting hub.... never scanned out. Cost me $480 to tow my truck to the dealership when I got back, and have a NEW chipped key programmed. FEDEX ran me in circles for 6 weeks... I gave up.

2012- FEDEX van jumps out in front of my wife on a rural road. Speed limit is 55. Wife cant stop, no shoulder, so she tries to swerve across center stripe since no cars coming... Guess who was making a left turn with no blinker. Wife still hits FEDEX van despite swerving. FEDEX driver goes inside, delivers package then comes to the scene of the accident. Police find fedex driver at faulr: failure to yield.

Fedex stonewalls our lawyer, then files claim against us and our company paid up.

2004 stratus RT in 97% condition and paid off... now destroyed sitting in my garage, had to buy a car to replace it...

Overall cost to me- $6000 for used 4runner, + whatever the car was worth before it was destroyed.

Ill ship UPS or USPS every time.

Fuck FEDEX.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I dunno man. They take care of their people. Remember that guy who was on the plane that crashed?  He ended up on some damn island in the middle of no where for a few years. He finally made his way back and FedEx gave him his job back. I thought that was pretty swell of them. On the other hand, his wife had shacked up with some other dude.

That's pretty cool of FedEx if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I like FedEx, no problems with them and Fred Smith is the man!

That guy has probably donated more $$$ to St. Jude than anyone I know or heard of.  He is the reason Memphis is not quite the butt hole of America (just yet)
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
i live on a 3rd floor apartment and work nights so i'm home during the day.  Fedex people are too lazy to walk up the stair to even attempt delivery, they just automatically take it to the leasing office and i have to check the tracking to know if my package came or not.  EVERY TIME!

For me...  UPS > USPS > FEDEX
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#41]
For the last 20 years I've had to walk or drive up the road to my neighbors house to get my FedEx package. If I have to sign for a FedEx package then I have to make sure and tape a note on the neighbors front door first thing in the morning telling the driver I'm the next house North. And I never no what time of day they will come.

UPS shows up at my house the same time every delivery.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Need pics of driveway to make verdict.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#43]
FedEx signs my paychecks.

The Teamsters have UPS in their grasp, and they sign Obama's paychecks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

im with you OP.  

I have had packages on there tracking that were received in the regional distribution center then put on a delivery van and were "out for delivery" for 3 days..  ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS.  

i asked the guy when she showed up.   he said if he doesnt get to the package that day it will sit in his truck until he is able to get to it, and the loaders at the Dist. center will pile more shit on it.   i damn near lost my shit   .  

also,  i bought two things from cali, same exact items. but b/c of their size they were shipped separately    i received ONE 5 days ago,  still waiting on the other.  

wtf.  i fucking hate FEDEX

ETA:  at least with UPS, when there tracking says out for delivery they actually deliver.  I also have been accustomed to their timing and route,  UPS fella, wicked nice, is in my area of the my town around a certain time.  generally within an hour so i know when i gotta be home to get my shit.  ....  i have had fedex show up twice in one day with two different trucks/drivers.  makes no fucking sense.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I was thinking that only the red/purple writing trucks are actual FedEx employees, can anyone confirm that?
I thought the ones with the light green writing on the trucks (slower delivery stuff), were a different type of driver for the company, and they often have to rent their own trucks for deliveries.  I thought these guys were the former RPS.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

I have had them drop a 1000rd case of heavy ammo on a snow covered street, right in front of my face.  I guess the guy didn't realize how heavy 44cal. is, until he slid it off the back of the small van.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#46]
They lost 4 lbs of varget 2 weeks ago at their memphis hub, probably the last 4 lbs in stock anywhere in the country at the time.

It's one thing to lose a small package, but explosive material?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

For the last 20 years I've had to walk or drive up the road to my neighbors house to get my FedEx package. If I have to sign for a FedEx package then I have to make sure and tape a note on the neighbors front door first thing in the morning telling the driver I'm the next house North. And I never no what time of day they will come.

UPS shows up at my house the same time every delivery.

You are probably one of those guys that has no visible numbers on their house.  That or no differentiation between you and your neighbors place because of bad house markings.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking that only the red/purple writing trucks are actual FedEx employees, can anyone confirm that?
I thought the ones with the light green writing on the trucks (slower delivery stuff), were a different type of driver for the company, and they often have to rent their own trucks for deliveries.  I thought these guys were the former RPS.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

I have had them drop a 1000rd case of heavy ammo on a snow covered street, right in front of my face.  I guess the guy didn't realize how heavy 44cal. is, until he slid it off the back of the small van.

That's correct. Express are actual Fedex employees. Ground drivers are about 3 steps removed. They're contractors who work for other contractors who "sorta" have to report to actual Fedex. They're much like cab drivers in that respect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right. FedEx Express, the orange and purple logo, are FedEx employees while FedEx Ground, the green and purple logo, are contractors. These are 2 separate companies owned by FDX Corp. and their packages do not run through the same system.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's correct. Express are actual Fedex employees. Ground drivers are about 3 steps removed. They're contractors who work for other contractors who "sorta" have to report to actual Fedex. They're much like cab drivers in that respect.

Some red and purple written tractor trailers are run by contractors.  But generally speaking, the colors mean employees of Fedex.  Some of the ground drivers are the actual contractor to Fedex, others like you said, are employees of a contractor.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top