Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2013 11:50:39 PM EDT
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2013/bills/SB219_.htm

§134-C  Possession of assault weapon prohibited.  (a)  Any person who, within this State, possesses any assault weapon, shall be guilty of a class C felony.
    (b)  This section shall not apply to the sale of assault weapons to the department of public safety, police departments, state department of defense, or to the armed services of the United States in connection with the discharge of official duties.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2013/bills/SB219_.htm

§134-C  Possession of assault weapon prohibited.  (a)  Any person who, within this State, possesses any assault weapon, shall be guilty of a class C felony.
    (b)  This section shall not apply to the sale of assault weapons to the department of public safety, police departments, state department of defense, or to the armed services of the United States in connection with the discharge of official duties.

how are they defining "Assault Weapon"?

ETA:

§134-A  Definitions.  As used in this part:

"Assault weapon", excluding any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable, means:

(1)  Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic, or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:  Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950, and 100‑P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1, and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9, and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS‑12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK‑91, HK-93, HK-94, and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11, and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48, and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine, and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2)  A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in paragraph (1) of this definition, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in paragraph (1) of this definition, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3)  Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in paragraph (1) of this definition that meets the following criteria:

(A)  A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i)  A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii)  A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii)  A bayonet mount;

(iv)  A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v)  A grenade launcher; or

(B)  A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i)  An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii)  A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(iii)  A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv)  A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v)  A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C)  A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i)  A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii)  A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii)  A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv)  An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4)  A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in paragraph (3) of this definition, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in paragraph (3) of this definition, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Guess they don't need my vacation money either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Grandfathering... confiscation...?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm convinced these politicians just ask their kids what guns are in the latest COD or Battlefield game and add them to the list. A picture book might be more likely.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm convinced these politicians just ask their kids what guns are in the latest COD or Battlefield game and add them to the list. A picture book might be more likely.

it was interesting to see brands like bcm and psa on the nyc list, banned by name
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fienswine looked at pictures, don't you know...
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
They always put tec9's on that list. Are there any tec9's that haven't been tossed in the garbage yet?
And the Linda carbine, seriously, who owns those? That's definitely an "assault weapon" if I've ever seen one.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In for this.....

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sounds like it. Was just introduced today or tomorrow..don't know. For a state with the 3rd lowest gun related crime rate they sure are going above and beyond. Can only hope nothing happens, but with how liberal this state is it would not surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
This is basically what CA has now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For a state that depends a lot on tourism, I wonder how much that is going to hurt in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]
As far as I can tell....Hawaii has gone full blown retard, no mention of grandfathering at all in the link provided, only this:

§134-D  Relinquishment of assault weapon to law enforcement.  Any individual may arrange in advance to relinquish an assault weapon to a county police department or the department of public safety for disposal, without penalty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in paragraph (3) of this definition, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in paragraph (3) of this definition, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Does this mean that a spare pistol grip will be a felony?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck Hawaii. Grew up there, never going back.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a surprise why?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is a surprise why?

Because we have no (minimal) gun crime, that's why. It's BS.

EDIT: But for as liberal as we are, and the supposed birth place of dear leader I guess I cannot be to surprised that someone would purpose this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

2-feature test, if I was reading correctly. "detachable magazine and at least 2 of the following" makes it an AW.

So it looks more like a reheat of the 94 bill than CA's SB23.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CA has grandfathering though.

I thought Hawaii already had an AWB too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Along with a host of other retarded laws....in a democratically controlled state...
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Mahalo brother... *click*... now give me your fucking guns...
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#22]
hawaii shouldnt even be a frikin state. no offense to you boys from there, but I have never met/seen so many low-life "bums" in one area in my life.  Lived at Schofield Barracks too, people are nice and laid back...great til they dont work and sit on the beach til their welfare check arrives
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#23]
How much crime does Hawaii suffer from due to any type of rifle? I'd think they oughta ban the rates the hotels charge before getting involved with non-existant crime?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
hawaii shouldnt even be a frikin state. no offense to you boys from there, but I have never met/seen so many low-life "bums" in one area in my life.  Lived at Schofield Barracks too, people are nice and laid back...great til they dont work and sit on the beach til their welfare check arrives

Please.. stop talking.

I sincerely hope this does not pass and that if it does no one reading this turns in their 'assault' weapons.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No question about the homeless problem, tons of them. Along with all the other soon to be homeless who just do nothing other then hang out at the beach drinking.

We are three in the nation in total gun crime, I am guessing 0% is committed with rifles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#26]

I guess the money I had set aside for a Hawaiian vacation will be spent on more guns and ammo and a donation to NRA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#27]
We'll do what we can but democratic controlled politicks don't give me much hope with all the national anti-gun sentiment.  Might be time to relocate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:51:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Hawaii doesn't need guns. They have Dog to protect them, brah.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:14:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Obamas home state after he moved he from Muslimland after here was born in Africa.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Do we have more than a half dozen members there? Aside from the gentleman who replied to this thread earlier I've never seen the user location. I just ask because that will be a tough state to win. Possibly more so than New York. I honestly thought Hawaii already had an AWB along with some other fairly lousy gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I am from there. No question it's going to be hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#32]
It's Hawaii.  It's the state with the LEAST amount of freedom for gun-owners.  (after Hawaii there's only DC when it comes to 'no freedom')

This is probably why Zero is so anti-gun.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#33]
This comes as no surprise, actually I thought we would hear of HI doing an AWB long before any states on the mainland.

When I decided that I wanted an AR was when I was based out of Pearl Harbor. Once that I discovered all of the red tape that had to be delt with I made the decision to wait until my transfer

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Nope CA and obviously NY have stricter. We don't need b buttons like ca and can have 30rd mags. As long as they are not for 'assault pistols' but seeing as we don't have assault pistols it makes no sense. We don't need more laws that for sure though. We just have mandatory registration, waiting periods etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I that still a state is the US ? I just thought we sent money there via tourism
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have info on where this stands?  Proposed, voted on, passed, etc.  Can't find much.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone have info on where this stands?  Proposed, voted on, passed, etc.  Can't find much.  Thanks!

It's just talk right now.  Same as whats going on with other states.  Was just a mattter of time before it came here.

I JUST FUCKING HOPE WE DONT GO TO SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK!
EVERYONE WANTS TO BE THE HERO
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife keeps trying to talk me into going there.

I tell her, I don't go on vacation to anywhere I cannot CCW.

I wish the State could get these messages.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As far as I can tell....Hawaii has gone full blown retard, no mention of grandfathering at all in the link provided, only this:

§134-D  Relinquishment of assault weapon to law enforcement.  Any individual may arrange in advance to relinquish an assault weapon to a county police department or the department of public safety for disposal, without penalty.

Excellent, If a few state start confiscating it will really get the party started...

I hope.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I've gone to for work, I was going to bring a pistol to shoot a match, but decided I didn't want to register it with the police within 3 days of arriving  I even have 10 rd Glock mags for when I go to CA for work and want to shoot a match
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#43]
We are creating two Americas; it seems.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For a state that depends a lot on tourism, I wonder how much that is going to hurt in the long run.

("Those tourists are the bread and butter to this state, Danny."--Steve, (w,stte), "Hawaii 5-0")

I'd say about zero. A huge percentage of the tourists I saw were Asian.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Zero just want's it SAFE for him (and his family) to vacation there.  Never mind that he already has the SS working.  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Dear Hawaii,

Fuck you.

Regards,

Johnny Utah
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I hope they break off and float out into the ocean.

oh, wait.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd rather spend my tourism dollars somewhere else, perhaps Texas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Who cares.  I have never even considered Hawaii a part of the US really.  Just some island way out in the Pacific. If it sunk tomorrow....I would not even notice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#50]
WTF people... let's ship all the libtards there... they'd have their own utopia..peace...quiet...no guns...no crime...and no tourist dollars either.
They could muster around a statue of barry & sing chants all day... kiss each others asses & praise how wonderful life is.
Barring a few volcanoes, tsunamis, typhoons etc..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top