Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2002 8:36:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
him "why do you need a bipod on an AR"  

Me: "becuase I want one"
View Quote

Best reason you could have given. Asshole probably never spent a second in uniform, and said that just to give some (possible) credibility to his bigotry.

How's that? US calling THEM bigots! HA!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two Harris bipods on two of my AR's.  What kind of forend do youhave?  Typical army config or freefloating tube?  Is there a sling swivel stud?  If not, you'll need to install one, which is simple.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's his job to SELL you stuff, even if you don't want or need it.  You should see some of the shit that salesmen conviced some AR15.com members to bolt onto their rifles.  I saw a guy at the gun show last week, and he had EVERTHING mounted to his AR, but he went cheap on all of it.  Mini mag light with crappy mount, crappy red dot scope with b-square mount, $35 laser with duct tape and twin-clamp.  Anyway, a bipod can be a good thing, so go with a Harris bipod (style of your choice) and get the Harris #5 adapter (fits inside the AR handguard and leaves a sling stud outside.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I was only in the Marines for 4 years. Thank God it takes 20 years to become that stupid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If my memory is any good, Harris # 5, mounting stud, This fits the round handguards perfectly. I have used them sucessfully on several round alum. freefloats also. $12.95 in my local area.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately, firearms store help is often both arrogant and ignorant at the same time.

Didn't you know that since he knows best, and because he wouldn't do it, you shouldn't!

Let's face it folks, this hobby is loaded with pricks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I think Uncle Mikes makes an adapter for the standard hand guards. I made one with an odd swivel, some washers and a nut. It works fine for ground hogs, foxes, coyotes and the like.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let's face it folks, this hobby is loaded with pricks!
View Quote

Boy, is THAT ever the truth! The most polite, and the rudest, people I've ever met have been at gun shows or at ranges.

You'd think we'd treat each other a little better sometimes.

For the record, the polite ones FAR outnumber the pricks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Him: "well I was in the marines for 20 years and never saw a bipod on an AR"

View Quote

Use a ruck/pack. I don't use a bipod on anything any more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Use a ruck/pack. I don't use a bipod on anything any more.
View Quote

Waldo, not to bust your chops too much, but I think I can make out a bipob in your avatatr pic. Is that you in that pic and are you using a bipod on the weapon in that pic? My eyes could be going bad but methinks I spy a bipod towrds the front of that there rifle![;)]

Let me know if I am right or if I need a new eyeglass prescription.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Chances are this asswipe was never even in the Corps. Any Marine knows how much better stability is with a bipod. Pretty GD stupid question on his part.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I fondly remember when people minded their own [expletive deleted] business.

Unfortunately, firearms store help is often both arrogant and ignorant at the same time.
View Quote

Insert my cynical old man voice--oops, that's my normal voice--it's like that at [i]every[/i] specialty store now.  Go shopping for a home stereo at Circuit City or Best Buy and see what you get.  Go to a local car audio shop, and you'll probably get worse.  The local electrical shop I have to go to for work a few times a year is more arrogant and ignorant than any gun shop I've seen.  I went car shopping a couple of weeks ago with a relative, and saw the same repeatedly.  Even the normally extremely friendly local Sherwin Williams store is getting like that.  Last week I was told, "oh you can't use latex on the outside of a house."  I told the guy to give me my change and not say another thing.  I wish there was a polite and succinct way to tell a salesman not to speak unless spoken to.  Mean looks and ignoring them just aren't as effective as they used to be.z
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would have said, "So, you shoot ARs a lot in the marines?".
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I fondly remember when people minded their own [expletive deleted] business.

View Quote

Insert my cynical old man voice--oops, that's my normal voice--it's like that at [i]every[/i] specialty store now.  Go shopping for a home stereo at Circuit City or Best Buy and see what you get.  Go to a local car audio shop, and you'll probably get worse.  The local electrical shop I have to go to for work a few times a year is more arrogant and ignorant than any gun shop I've seen.  I went car shopping a couple of weeks ago with a relative, and saw the same repeatedly.  Even the normally extremely friendly local Sherwin Williams store is getting like that.  Last week I was told, "oh you can't use latex on the outside of a house."  I told the guy to give me my change and not say another thing.  I wish there was a polite and succinct way to tell a salesman not to speak unless spoken to.  Mean looks and ignoring them just aren't as effective as they used to be.z
View Quote

Met this at MC Sports trying to buy skis.  Guy there thinks he's a freaking expert.  My son researched the shit out them for weeks and decided he some Rossignals.  We go into the store and are looking for the ski's, find them, and then this dip shit say's "you don't want those ski's".

I ask him how does he know what my son wants.

He says those are for an advanced skier.

I ask how in the hell does he know from 35 seconds of exposure to my son that he knows what his skiing ability is.

He wanted to pick out his snow board, boots, hockey equipment....

We just started pretending he wasnt even there and I think he's getting the hint.

I wouldn't even think of buying a firearm there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The moral of the story???

Only shop at REAL gun stores.

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hate to do this, but Garandman...I have to disagree a little with you.  

I live in IL and the only close/real gunshop to me is Smoke -n- Gun in Waukegan.  Now, I am a very mild mannered person, but they DONE PISSED ME OFF on more than one occasion.   I will cite a couple for you.

1.  Most recently;  went in looking for a front site tool for my AR.   Thought well I could order it online or support my local economy.  When I asked if they had any, I was chastised and told how the whole weapon could be broken down with a 223 round (which I already knew) clerk calls over another clerk who proceeds to tell me all he ever uses is a 223 round.  Gee I thought you were here to sell me things...  

2.  Last October right after my son was born, my father in law gave me the first shotgun he got when he was 12.  It is an HR Topper in 16 ga.   Now it was rusty and dirty due to a flood they had had, so I took it to S-N-G and inquired about getting it cleaned and reblued.  I was told that it would cost about $150, when I said "great, do it"  The clerks were questioning me...."that's a $50 gun" etc, trying to talk me out of the work.  I explained the history of this firearm to them and told them to do the work.  (The job they did was beautiful.)   But why did I have to explain why I wanted this rusty shotgun reblued?

3.  Went in looking for 16ga reloading materials, and was asked by clerk, "why would you spend the money on that?  you can buy new shells cheaper..."  I walked out.  

4.  Looked in the "milk crate" where they threw a bunch of USGI 30rd magazines in.  All stickers read $25 ...  even the most homely with less that 40% finish left on them.  Gee dont sell me what I want but RAPE me on your POS magazines?  Don't think so...

5.  When I was shopping round for my Glock model 19.  Knew what I wanted, went in and was told at that time (fall 98) "Oh we dont even mess with those cause they don't come with high capacity magazines"....F--- OFF.   Went to sports authority and bought it cheaper than they were selling the used ones for.

6.  "Oh we don't carry SA surplus ammo we don't know the quality of it so we wont order it"  Yet has some Malaysian Surp 223 on the counter???

7.  "Why would you want to buy a 1911 frame and build it yourself?  That would cost more than buying a new gun....."

Why do I have to explain to a sales person why I want to buy what I want to buy?  This shop will never get another dime from me, not that they seemed to ever want it.  I either drive a couple hours to other gun shops (very rare), order it online, or if I need it in a hurry I go to BassPro up here.   I have never had anything close to good customer service or even passable customer service.  As far as I am concerned my "local gun shop"  can go scratch. I'll take my business to stores that want it...

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hate to do this, but Garandman...I have to disagree a little with you.  

I live in IL and the only close/real gunshop to me is Smoke -n- Gun in Waukegan.  Now, I am a very mild mannered person, but they DONE PISSED ME OFF on more than one occasion.  
View Quote

By reading GD forum here, you'll QUICKLY learn that gun owners are an ornery bunch.

[:D]

I'm not sayin' you should shop with jerks. Lord knows one of the gun stores local to me chaps my hide every time I go in, or call.

I guess its a tough call.

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately for me this is my only loacl gunshop.  I have to drive over an hour to get to any others.   It seems like all they do there is stand round behind the couters, wearing their 1911's on their hips and acting impotent...oops that should be important...

I am for the idea of the AR15 shop :)  At least people would get some service along with the grief...:)
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I have to aggree but you failed to realize that even at that close of range and with all the muzzle blast....they'd prlly still miss....

Oh one last one for the road...I called that shop as well as numerous others, looking for a used Rem 1100.  S-N-G  clerk on phone..."yeah  got a bunch   they start at 299 and go up from there"    299 for a used 1100?  Went in...."oh we would never sell an 1100 for 299...take a look at these new..."    I walked out with nothing but the thoughts of bait and switch...
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Haven't had too many bad experiences at Academy.  At least they started selling .357 sig ammo.  [:D]

There is a local gun shop that treats me like shit every time I go.  As you can imagine, I try to stay away from them, but they have the only gunsmith that is even remotely close to me.  Took in my HBAR .22mag Marlin the other week to get the trigger adjusted.  For the first time ever the old man behind the counter was nice to me.  Maybe he finally recognized me as a customer who might just spend a few $$ there if they don't piss me off.  Sometimes I just don't understand, don't they want to make money??  [>:/]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[Waldo, not to bust your chops too much, but I think I can make out a bipob in your avatatr pic. Is that you in that pic and are you using a bipod on the weapon in that pic? My eyes could be going bad but methinks I spy a bipod towrds the front of that there rifle![;)]

Let me know if I am right or if I need a new eyeglass prescription.
View Quote

Real old Pic [BD] Like I said, "I don't use them anymore"

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Waldo%2F3006%2Ejpg[/img]

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Check what that doofus at Academy makes.  Your average competent panhandler probably makes more just working two hours a day catchin' the lunch and goin' home crowd.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top