Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2002 7:32:07 PM EDT
Woke up this morning and turned on the TV and its nothing but a horizontal line with sound [:(]. Guess I need to get a new one. Any suggestions or recommendations? Not really sure what to look for...especially since the HDTV thing is sort of gaining ground.

Progressive scan? HDTV? Projection TV?  All foreign words to me...

Whatever it is though, I'd like it to last 25 or so years like this one did. Or at the very least, 10 or 15 years.  I know this is probably wishful thinking but who knows...worth a try.

Any brand and/or model you recommend would be helpful.

Prefer not to spend more than $1500 or $2000. But willing to go up to $2500 to $3000 if its really, really, worth it...

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a cool TOshiba widescreen that's around $2500.00.  You need to buy the HDTV decoder though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a new TV try Crutchfield they are great to deal with, or try Best Buy they have free shipping right now.

[url]http://www.crutchfield.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.bestbuy.com/[/url]

Toshiba and Sony make great digital TVs, I would not get a wide screen right now but get a digital tube TV (the picture is a lot bigger/crisper than wide screen in your price range). Crutchfield has Sony’s 40" FD Trinitron Wega XBR TV for $2500 (with free in home delivery) the picture is incredible, that set was $3000 just a while back. I which I could afford one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
When I lived in June Lake Ca., a very long time ago, I knew a guy who had 3 tv's stacked on top of each other. Only the top one worked.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Search around here: [url]www.avsforum.com[/url]

Depends on what you are looking for.  I went with a 34" widescreen HDTV cause that is what the room called for.  Would love to get a 65" with 9" guns but won't work in the room.  HDTV is awesome, as is watching DVDs on the thing.  

If you are into buying online, check out [url]www.onecall.com[/url] . Their prices are awesome as is their customer service.  Salespeople don't work on commission and will really help you out.

[url]www.hometheaterspot.com[/url] is another good resource, and they do a lot of group buys with onecall.  

You can get a decent HDTV for under 2K these days, and decoders are coming down quite a bit now as well.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Too bad about your set.  

My trusty Zenith VCR broke yesterday. I tried to play a tape, and got nothing but fuzz.  I figured it just needed cleaning, so I popped the lid.  Clean as a whistle inside.  

I have several VCRs, but I liked the Zenith the best.  It was the first new VCR I ever bought, and it lasted a long time.  I liked it because it always recorded when I set it, and the remote was easy to use.  I hate coming home only to find a blank tape instead of the program I wanted to watch.

My neighbor got a new Sony Wega XBR with all the fixins about 8 months ago.  The picture is fantastic!  Even better when he popped in a DVD.  He offered to sell me his old Trinitron, but I didn't have any cash at the time.  My next TV will probably be a Sony or Toshiba.  

I heard that the projection TVs are not very reliable.  I think in another 10 years they'll have new variable phase pulse 3D photon vapor particle TVs, so you'll probably want a new one anyway.  Don't spend too much, or you won't want to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an RCA 52" HDTV that I like pretty a lot... got it a few months ago...

It's square, not the wide screen, which i ddint really want...

I like it was like 3500 though
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
See what you get for shooting airsoft at the people on TV? [:D]
echo6
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you MUST watch TV, just get it fixed.

It just has a problem in the vertical - shouldn't cost too much.
View Quote

Well how low in cost are you thinking?  This TV is literally older than me, my parents got it pre-1979 (I think a couple years before I was born).

I figure if it is going to run more than a hundred or two it might just be better to get a new one since its so old.  Then again, who knows.  The VCR I had that looked like it could take a nuclear blast and still smile back at you lasted a long long time as well.  Gotta love stuff built 20 years ago...that stuff actually lasted.  [:|]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I heard that the projection TVs are not very reliable.  I think in another 10 years they'll have new variable phase pulse 3D photon vapor particle TVs, so you'll probably want a new one anyway.  Don't spend too much, or you won't want to get rid of it.
View Quote

I've heard mostly bad about projection but never had a reason.  Just people telling me to stay away from them.  Interesting...
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
See what you get for shooting airsoft at the people on TV? [:D]
echo6
View Quote

Bah, I don't need to stand here and take these blatent alegations of people that deserved being shot...[:|]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Try  [url]www.ubid.com[/url]

My grandfather is nuts about that site... he got a 55" mitsubishi hdtv ready bigscreen for $1200 and a 66" mitsubishi hdtv for $2500.  This was about a year ago. Yes, the tv's are refurbished, but they work pretty damn good and nobody can tell the difference.  You have to play HALO on a 66" HDTV, it rocks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Woke up this morning and turned on the TV and its nothing but a horizontal line with sound.
View Quote

It's WOUNDED!  SHOOT IT!  SHOOT IT!

Arock
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
You could also NOT repair the TV and rediscover reading and free time [:D]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a Sony '61 digital projection unit. You will NEVER leave the house again. What little free time you have will be spent buying DVDs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I always laugh at the 'evil projection' comment. Back in '91 my family bought a 50" Hitachi projection TV. It is still our main TV after 11 years, and the total cost of maintenance/repairs in that given time?

$300 bucks.

The only reason I see projection as 'bad' is that it simply will not have as sharp a picture as a tube.

What I would recommend is this: Go to a Best Buy, or a Circuit City, or any place that has a large TV display area. Don't bother with the salespeople...just check out the units. First thing to decide is whether you want a tube or projection TV. Look at the different displays, gauge what you are going to use the TV for, and
choose what is best for you. Once that's done, get a feel for what size TV you want...based on how it will fit in the area of your house, cost, etc. THEN decide the little things, like if you want a widescreen or standard, flat screen or curved, etc. Once you have an idea of the type, then hit the net and search out different models and reviews.

Don't get too caught up in all these new technologies if they are unnecessary.....I mean, if you're just using the TV to watch the History channel and nothing else, why spend 2500 on a widescreen HDTV-ready unit? You can get a really nice tube TV for under 300 bucks to do that.

As for lasting for 25 years.....they REALLY don't make 'em like they used to. And with the way things are going, obsolescence is about 5 years....
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any suggestions or recommendations?
View Quote

Yep, free your mind and your ass will follow [BD]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top