Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2013 3:45:28 PM EDT
As most of you, I ain't dipping in my ammo stash till things gets back to normal (will they ever )

So in the mean time thinking about getting an air rifle for target practice.

What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with a RWS54 in .22 cal.
Stay away from the cheap Beeman rifles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good advice. Break barrel air rifles are not accurate. A decent pre charged pneumatic rifle is very accurate and you can practice at 100 yards and in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There's always one of these.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one of these and the high pressure pump.  It is expensive for an air rifle, but is very accurate.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What's your budget and expectations? There's a large range of air rifles out there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got one of these and the high pressure pump.  It is expensive for an air rifle, but is very accurate.

How do you like filling from a pump. I'm interested in getting a pcp, but the tanks are holding me back now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you like filling from a pump. I'm interested in getting a pcp, but the tanks are holding me back now.

It is nice to be able to top it off in the field, but it is a work out.  Though not really too bad just topping it off.  Filling from empty is when you have to pace yourself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Tech-Force, they are not pricey or fancy but are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot. New their target model is under 200.

TF79
http://www.compasseco.com/tech-force-caliber-p-1719.html?osCsid=e20ccec1642458becf3aa42347fce706

5 shot group at 10 meters,. offhand, no sling etc

Those are .177 pellet holes

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice. Break barrel air rifles are not accurate. A decent pre charged pneumatic rifle is very accurate and you can practice at 100 yards and in.

Bull.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Benjamin Marauder is accurate and very quiet.

Fill with high pressure air tank, pump or CO2. I recommend 3500 PSI carbon fiber air tank.

It uses a 10 shot magazine.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Get your self a beeman r-7 break barrel and you won't regret it (they are not cheap air rifles). I have one in .20 cal that I bought tuned from vortek that I will never sell. I plink steel auto reset targets at 30 yards (limit from my garage to my shed). Most fun you can have short of shooting a ruger 10-22.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Check out Tech-Force, they are not pricey or fancy but are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot. New their target model is under 200.

TF79

http://www.compasseco.com/tech-force-caliber-p-1719.html?osCsid=e20ccec1642458becf3aa42347fce706

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/771764/fullsize/dsc04164.jpg

5 shot group at 10 meters,. offhand, no sling etc

Those are .177 pellet holes

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/770631/fullsize/dsc04153.jpg

Nice!

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get your self a beeman r-7 break barrel and you won't regret it (they are not cheap air rifles). I have one in .20 cal that I bought tuned from vortek that I will never sell. I plink steel auto reset targets at 30 yards (limit from my garage to my shed). Most fun you can have short of shooting a ruger 10-22.

I agree, I shoot my air rifles more than anything else by a wide margin. If you can be accurate with an air rifle you have a good chance of being accurate with a "real" rifle.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What's your budget and expectations? There's a large range of air rifles out there.

Has to be accurate up to 50 yrds.

Preference to American made and definitely no Chinese crap.

Budget anywhere from 250 up to 600.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look no further than Air Force then, and go with a .22 caliber pellet. The weight will help with the distance you want to shoot
http://www.airforceairguns.com/
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've sniped over 100 squirrels with my Gamo Big Cat.  Many were head shots from a fair distance.  It's also held zero for almost 2 years now.  The only thing I had to do was replace the terrible stock trigger with a CharlieDaTuna trigger.  I may not be able to hit a dime at distance consistently, but this thing is pretty impressive for a cheap air rifle.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the one I want...

Daystate Air Wolf MCT Tactical

Specifications

Overall Length - 40.5 inches
Barrel Length (High Power) - 17 inches up to 40 ft/lbs.
Calibers Available - .177, .20, .22 or .25
Weight - 8.6 lbs
Safety - Electronic, manual; re-settable, with key-switch isolator
Action Finish - Matte
Air Cylinder Capacity - 500cc non-removable bottle

$2379
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a Talon and it shoots fine but for real precision I changed a few things.  Put longer barrel, heavier hammer, etc.  

Forget break barrel types.  Get a PCP, as others already suggested.   Also check the pellet types, as bullets there are many types and the precision varies a lot.  

The best match air rifles, Olympic Grade are the Feinwerkbau.  But they are very expensive. :

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]

I got a SCUBA tank and the adapter valve.  The pump hasn't seen use for a while.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is nice to be able to top it off in the field, but it is a work out.  Though not really too bad just topping it off.  Filling from empty is when you have to pace yourself.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
The other thing I love about air rifles is that you can get away with sub 16in barrels and "shrouds" that make them very quiet with no tax stamp.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The other thing I love about air rifles is that you can get away with sub 16in barrels and "shrouds" that make them very quiet with no tax stamp.

I was actually surprised at how loud mine was the first time I shot it.  It's quieted down some, but still louder than I expected.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Real shame as the Beemans used to be top quality (had an R8 decades ago and regret getting rid of it).

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real shame as the Beemans used to be top quality (had an R8 decades ago and regret getting rid of it).

AFARR

The German beeman rifles are actually rebranded weihrach rifles. Nowadays they added a cheap Chinese line. The German beeman/weihrach are still top notch quality. I always have my spring air rifles tuned. It makes a night and day difference in recoil noise and in some cases accuracy
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

The German beeman rifles are actually rebranded weihrach rifles. Nowadays they added a cheap Chinese line. The German beeman/weihrach are still top notch quality. I always have my spring air rifles tuned. It makes a night and day difference in recoil noise and in some cases accuracy

(I actually knew that they were the old H. Weirauch rifles, but that R8 shot well....much better than I can shoot).

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

(I actually knew that they were the old H. Weirauch rifles, but that R8 shot well....much better than I can shoot).

AFARR

I agree, I shot a tuned R8 some time ago and it sent pellets exactly when I was holding. A sure classic air rifle that I wish they still made.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Benjamin Marauder.  Get as much scope as you can afford.  I have a Nikon rimfire scope, pretty pleased except for very close range parallax error.  Made in USA .

The only issue with it is you have to adjust it to get the most out of it.  Straight out of the box, it is very accurate, just not at 50 yards because it is rather anemic in that tune.  There are three, independent adjustments, the hammer spring, hammer stroke and transfer port.  Then there is the trigger pull which is great straight out of the box.

The other issue is ammo.  Being a 10 shot repeater, you will burn through pellets FAST.  I go through 1000 a month.  Wal Mart pellets are slim in selection, they don't normally carry the Crosman Premier heavy pellets in .177.  Online, the pricing structure has gotten weird, 500 count tins are cheaper than the 1250 count boxes .

Finally, charging the beast can be expensive if you go the high pressure SCBA cylinder.  The Benjamin hand pump works but humidity in the air kills it fast.  With some ordinary fittings and supplies, you can build an air dryer.  Better yet, you can build a hand pump SUPERCHARGING system that is far more effective in drying the air AND making it much faster.  An ordinary air tank with a pound or two of silica gel in it dries the air, then a regulator set to 15 PSI feeds the inlet of the Benjamin hand pump.  Half the strokes, all dry air.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#27]
The Chinese made Beeman is junk. That was what I meant from the "cheap" A guy at work bought one of them and the trigger was utter crap not to mention the front sight falling off after only a few dozen shots.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

AFARR

I agree, I shot a tuned R8 some time ago and it sent pellets exactly when I was holding. A sure classic air rifle that I wish they still made.

The R8 was based on the HW50/HW55 powerplant. These rifles produced nowhere near the 1,000 fps that every airgun newbie clamors for these days (more like 600-700 fps), but together they represent some of the most pleasant/shootable spring guns ever made. You could not ask for a better basement/backyard gun (Unless it's an FWB300s or RWS 75).

My R8 . . . .

The R8 was based on the old HW50 (not the new HW50). Here's my HW50 in a Maccari stock . . . .

And here's a HW55, a match version of the same powerplant . . .

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No joke there.  It depends on your budget mostly, you could go with a Daisy Pump or... a Quackenbush Bandit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's baloney, I have a Diana 35 that does dimes at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Weihrauch HW77
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#32]
This one is very accurate and not to spendy

Daisy 853 Avanti
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As most of you, I ain't dipping in my ammo stash till things gets back to normal (will they ever )

So in the mean time thinking about getting an air rifle for target practice.

What do you guys recommend?

What distance do you want to shoot at?

When you say "target" do you mean:
1.) paper targets
2.) plastic army men and spent 9mm cases
3.) knock down steel

If you want to shoot paper targets (or aspirin tablets) in your basement, your airgun choice will be completely different than if you want to shoot knock down steel at 50 yards.

The Mauraders and other pre-charged pneumatics are great if you want to shoot at 25 to 50 yards. If  you're going to shoot in your hallway or basement they're definitely overkill. Pre-charged pneumatics are great because they don't have any recoil and you can get some really powerful guns that challenge what you may have thought an airgun was capable of. They will also stretch your budget.

Don't overlook spring guns. Springers are completely self contained. All you need is the gun and pellets. The hassle factor is a lot lower. They're also more difficult to shoot. You WILL learn consistency and follow-through. If you don't your groups will suffer.

My suggestion is to start with a decent break-barrel spring gun to see how much you enjoy shooting airguns. You can start with a Crosman Nitro from Walmart at about $120. They're OK, but the triggers are shitty. A better choice would be an RWS 34. Add a decent air gun scope and some good mounts and you're on your way. An even better choice would be a good Weihrauch such as the HW95/Beeman R9. This will get you started in the world of quality adult airguns with a minimum of expense. No tanks, no hoses, no pumps. Try it and see. You'll always have a place for a good springer, even if you decide to buy a PCP later.

An alternative suggestion would be to find an old match gun. This is actually what I enjoy shooting the most. I have several airguns that would have been Olympics class rifles in the 1960s or 70s. They can be bought for $500 or so and they are capable of far greater accuracy than most mere mortals. The difference in score potential between a 1970s match rifle and a 2013 match air rifle is probably less than five points out of 100. There's a huge difference in cost, though. Popular choices in this class are the FWB 300s, the RWS 75 and the Walther LGR (actually a single stroke pneumatic and not a spring gun). These are wonderful guns to own and shoot if you're content to shoot at traditional 10 meter distances.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's baloney, I have a Diana 35 that does dimes at 50 yards.

+1

That "break barrels are not accurate" b.s. is just that . . . There is no practical difference in potential accuracy between a QUALITY break barrel and a fixed barrel gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#35]
My broken Sheridan 20 cal was a laser beam
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This one is very accurate and not to spendy

Daisy 853 Avanti

You can get used/rebuilt ones from the CMP for $100. They're kind of smallish, though. More for a kid than an adult . . .
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My broken Sheridan 20 cal was a laser beam

Was?  What is broken?  Many great places to get the firing valve, check valve and piston seal replaced.  I've fixed a few, one for a well-known member here .  

Yes, they are laser beams.  .20 caliber is potent.  But they wear my arm out.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Before you buy anything go to the yellow forum Air Gun Forum. Spend some time getting to know what you can from the hard core shooters of air guns. Then spend some time at Pyramid Air looking at reviews and prices.

A couple of things to consider

PCP is all the rage. Super accurate, super powerful. They make 9mm and 45 cal units that are legal to hunt deer in some states. The 45 cal has exactly the same velocity, weight, and FPE as 45 ACP. Requires stuff besides the rifle and the pellets to make it work. Stuff you have to haul to where you shoot and stuff that can break.

Springers are accurate enough that you'll not be disappointed IF you can master the fine art of the 'hold'. They come in break barrel and side or under lever. usually single shot. I have two magnums that'll send a .177 pellet supersonic and I can hit a dime at 35 yards all day long. I have a .22 that will destroy a squirrel's head at 30 yards and it shoots half minute of squirrel head every time.

Multi stroke pneumatics are self contained, have no recoil, are generally pretty quiet, but aren't useful past about 25 yards.

CO2 guns require buying CO2 and are very sensitive to temperature.

Single stroke pneumatics are self contained, but don't have much use past 10 yards (the standard for air rifle match shooters)

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guys. As usual tons of useful info.

Those PCP rifles nice, but it looks like I will have to revise the budget because of the additional cost of a pump / a scuba tank.

Heat of the moment it looks like the AirForce Condor has the lead.

For the guys asking:

looking to shoot pretty much the gamut from paper to tin cans to those darn squirrels!  Think it could be a good way to get over "cabin fever".

Will be shooting in the yard ( it is huge ).

Side note - this is the first Sunday that I did not hear a single gun shot in the neighborhood. So I must not be the only one around these parts preserving ammo.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Another vote for the benjamin marauder. It's a bolt action 10 shot pellet rifle, very accurate and great for practice. I use a manual hand pump, and usually shoot 30 to 40 rounds, and then take about 2 pumps per shot to recharge it. But as a repeater its great for practice, you can keep your grip and sight picture and just work the bolt. This gives you practice in precision shooting.

It is pretty quiet for indoor use. I like mine, and though it was expensive for me, the extra trigger time it gives me just by walking downstairs to my basement makes it worth it.

If you wanted to get a pellet gun more for handling and practicing quick sight aquisition, I would get a basic crossman co2 repeater. I'm considering something like this myself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Broken :-(
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. As usual tons of useful info.

Those PCP rifles nice, but it looks like I will have to revise the budget because of the additional cost of a pump / a scuba tank.

Heat of the moment it looks like the AirForce Condor has the lead.

For the guys asking:
looking to shoot pretty much the gamut from paper to tin cans to those darn squirrels!  Think it could be a good way to get over "cabin fever".
Will be shooting in the yard ( it is huge ).

Side note - this is the first Sunday that I did not hear a single gun shot in the neighborhood. So I must not be the only one around these parts preserving ammo.

Beeman R9/Weihrauch HW95 . . . .
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#44]

It can be repaired.  Look around.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I know you said you want to shoot in the yard . . . a big yard . . . but damn it, I went downstairs grabbed these rifles and snapped pics. So, suck it up and look at these rifles . . .

You want a target rifle? THESE are target rifles . . .

RWS 75

Walther LGR:

FWB 300s:

HW55:

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know you said you want to shoot in the yard . . . a big yard . . . but damn it, I went downstairs grabbed these rifles and snapped pics. So, suck it up and look at these rifles . . .

RWS 75

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/rws75_zpsa690881a.jpg

Walther LGR:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/lgr_zps2fdc65e1.jpg

FWB 300s:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/fwb300s_zps9e26821a.jpg

HW55:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/hw55new_zpsb0e302c6.jpg

Sweet
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know an air gun mechanic that works on FWB 300's?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ruger air hawk that was only $108 @ walmart begs to differ.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

RWS 75

Walther LGR:

FWB 300s:

HW55:

You have some nice target rifles for sure.  But how are they in the field?  540 ft/sec with 7 grain wadcutters might work on smaller stuff but they are going to be stretching it at 20 yards.

I might have to get me one for 10m practice.  But I'm thinking of putting good iron sights and a target stock on the Marauder, tuning it down to 540 ft/sec and using it.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RWS 75

Walther LGR:

FWB 300s:

HW55:

Sweet

You could buy a gun similar to any of those for $400-$600. I guarantee you that any of them would probably be the finest rifle you own. If the firearms world you have to buy high end shotguns or custom made rifles to own anything as nice. Airguns are one of the few hobbies where you can own the absolute best on a modest budget . . . granted you have to settle for obsolete technology but, trust me, neither you or the target will know the difference.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top