Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2002 6:35:06 PM EDT
I ask this, because, my wife just had the surgery today.  Years of being a massage therapist(THERAPIST, not "massage girl"), you hozers, at least not to anyone but ME, took it's toll.  Anyhowze, right now she's stoned as a bat on Loratabs and quite unaware of whatever is coming.  So, my queery to you fine folks is: what should she expect for the next few weeks, if anyone can fill us in?  I've found ya'll are a wealth of trivial information, so SOMEONE has gotta have had this done and can gimme some tricks or trinkets.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, may I suggest a Google Search on "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?"

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is, I believe, inflammation of the sheath that the carpal tendons (the ones that attach the muscles in the arms to the fingers) ride through.  Excessive repetitive behavior (like typing, for instance) can cause these tissues to inflame and degrade.  I can see where massage could cause it, especially given the high force involved.

I don't know what the surgical repair would be, though I do know there is one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Um, may I suggest a Google Search on "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?"

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is, I believe, inflammation of the sheath that the carpal tendons (the ones that attach the muscles in the arms to the fingers) ride through.  Excessive repetitive behavior (like typing, for instance) can cause these tissues to inflame and degrade.  I can see where massage could cause it, especially given the high force involved.

I don't know what the surgical repair would be, though I do know there is one.
View Quote

That's what I was asking about!  She just HAD the surgical repair, I was hoping someone else could point us out on what to expect as far as recovery goes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
so you've been running a massage parlor from the house huh?!

Holding out on yer buddies here in bham?

LOL!

Tell MS we wish her well. If all goes right sunday we will try to make it. If she's still stoned on drugs can i screw with her head?

mike
View Quote

Why yes, you may!
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 Anyhowze, right now she's stoned as a bat on Loratabs and quite unaware of whatever is coming.    
View Quote

Mr. Ninja:  Honey, can I buy this new rifle?

Mrs. Ninja:  Uhhh, mmmmm, what? sure, whatever....
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the surgery done to my left hand about 8yrs ago.  I was having problems with numbness/ acking feeling in the fingers of both hands.  I dont know how they preform the operation now but back then they made about a 1.5"-2" incision in the lower part of my palm.  Afterwards my hand was in a cast for about 2 weeks.  Hard to remeber everything but shortly after the ordiel my left hand was fine.  Funny but the problem with the right hand went away also.  I think it was from no being able to ride the harley.  the right hand still acts up on long rides but the left hand is doing fine.  I heard that they can do the operation now-adays with a small incision.  Hope this info helps.

hdvespa
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I just watched a Carpal Tunnel release.  Hell of a lot easier than the Tarsal Tunnel release I saw the day before.

The one I saw was done under MAC with Local Anesthetic.  (Basically "Valium" by IV and "Novocaine" into the wrist area).  One simple incision in the lower portion of the palm--a couple of quick snips by the Orthopod and it is done to release the ligament (been a little while, but I thought it was the Lacinate Ligament).  The coolest part of the surgery was the metal immobilizer they used during the Surgery for the hand.  Imagine an extra large flat metal glove.  They flatten your hand out, put the metal glove under it, and fold the metal fingers over your fingers to hold you still.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I had both my hands done in the late 80's, so things have changed since then.

For the next couple of days, keep the hand elevated, especially at night.  Put a pillow under her hand to keep it up.

Recovery:  Her palm area will be tender for about 2-3 weeks, and may be sensitive for up to 5 weeks.

I had a problem on one hand when one stitch retreated under the skin.  Hurt when they had to go "pearl diving" for it.

The problem can reappear, but how common this is, I don't know.

Don't bump the hand, or "high five" anybody for a few weeks, and she's home clear.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I had mine done 18 years ago.  Follow the doc's orders and make sure she keeps it elevated and takes her pain meds.  Ice packs help keep the swelling down.

In a few days...maybe a week to ten days or so, after the stitches are out...(I can't remember the timeline exactly)  she should start physical therapy.  Make damn sure she goes!  The therapist will make her stick her arm into an ice bath (OUCH!) then heat...then cold again.  Each session will probably take about one hour.  (Plan on two-three times/week for a few weeks.)  Then he/she will attach an electrical device that gives her wrist & hand an electrical shock like the thing in the penny arcade.  This is GOOD because it will fool the nerves in her arm so she won't feel what's coming next.

Now the therapist will begin to massage and STTTTRRRETTTTTCCCHHHH her hand and fingers into their full extension positions.  Back...back...back!  Really, movement is CRITICAL to her recovery.  If she doesn't get this treatment, her wrist will most likely fill up with scar tissue and she will lose the use of her hand.

Then its just a matter of time.  My hand was sensitive to touch in the palm area for years.  My wrist still hurts if I spend too many hours on the AR15.com site typing.

Shooting is great therapy though!  [;D]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for your knowledge, folks!  As usual, the wealth of experience and advice on this board amazes me!
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]

I had mine done about 8 yrs. ago. Glad I did it, too.

Make sure she gets some therapy, it will bring her back up to speed faster.

Takes almost one year to get back to 100% strength.

BTW, had the "open" incision, about 3-4" long.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top