Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2001 3:04:03 PM EDT
Lousy weather in NY today, so instead of visiting the range, I went to the local Yamaha dealer.  Spring fever is catching upwith me because now I'm looking to trade in my 1999 Yamaha Waverunner for a motorcycle (preferrably a Yamaha).  I'm looking at an Yamaha R6...the R1 is way too much bike for me right now.  Any other suggestions?[sleep]
Even better question is: What kind of bike do you ride?
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
hd
View Quote

Not really my style but then again I would look bad ass on a fatboy [X]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I ride a Road Star.

[img]http://simboyz.com/joe/JOE%20on%20HAMMER.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I would reccomend a suzuki SV650, a good little fun (and cheap at $5749) bike, I'm just a few months away from buying one.

for a sport bike, I would reccomend a suzuki GSX-R750, SCHWEEET, if I had 10K and could afford the insurance, that would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
[}:D]

GSXR-1000!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a yamaha guy so go with any model gsxr they are the asskickers this year.I would prefer the 750.It will dominate most open class bikes except its big brother the 1000.They even have the 600 that is faster than the r6
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=183312&a=11399165&p=40111845[/img]
R6s are nice, but I like the F4 better!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Any bike.. Yamaha R1..  I have owned a few bikes and ridden a few. If you want the best it is the way to go, closest thing to race ready you can get. I have ridden a '99 and '01 and both had an amazing ride. Any bike mag you read only compares others to the R1, then again people were trying to return them saying they were too fast!!
but it might not be your best choice for your first bike..

-thee12nv
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
[text=6]Buell/H-D[/text=6]

No [b]Rice[/b] Rockets
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
1st bike? Anthing bigger that a 750 will probably get you killed, smaller than a 650 will bore you.  Cruisers are cool for profiling,sportbikes for fast stuff.  FYI, 40K miles on two wheels, mostly on a Kaw 750 twin.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#13]
GSX1300R Hayabusa!!King of the hill.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends what you want the bike for. Screaming, blinding speed? Any of the high end jappers will do nicely, and probably get you killed. Class bike for riding at speeds below 140mph,
Harley Davidson.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I own a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic. It's a great ride, and I get the looks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
HARLEY-DAVIDSON "ROAD GLIDE".
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not really my style but then again I would look bad ass on a fatboy [X]
View Quote

Even Paul Rubens, AKA Pee Wee Herman would look bad ass on a Fat Boy.
Okay, well, maybe not Pee Wee. But [i]most[/i] people look bad ass on one.lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Vyper45, Check out the Suzuki Intruder 800, reliable, inexpensive, looks good. Good around town or on the open road even with 2up. Needs an aftermarket seat if you are going to ride over 75 miles at a shot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on what you like to do with the bike and the type of riding you like.

Crusers are  great for road trips and generally spending time on the road and you are a lot less likely to do something stupid.  Not to mention nice ladies fit on the back very well.

Crotch Rockets are good for going fast or going for shorter rides with the boys. Handle great but in my opinion not that enjoyable on anything but short trips.

Harleys are nice if you afford one- major chick magnet and bad ass image if thats important to you.

My main bike is a Yamaha V-Max kind of a cross between all three. Some Harley riders may balk at this but it is the most respected Jap bike by the Harley crowd. Has 145 HP and flat screems if you want it too. Cornering is not great however but its livable. At 7000 rpm the V-Boost kicks in and you figure out what that notch that your butt fits in in the seat is for.

[img]http://24.4.158.191/Motorcycles/PIC00002.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want a sportbike, I'd suggest a Honda CBR600F4 or F4i.  Although I have a Kawasaki ZX-6R now, I'm thinking about getting a Honda in the next couple of years.  The CBR600F4 is the best of both worlds, it is comfortable to ride for a while and it has awesome performance.  

More inportantly, Honda's reputation for reliability and durablility is unmatched.

Whatever you get, have fun but be careful.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one road bike, back in the early 70s, and it was a chopped to the max, Kaw 900.  It was like moths to the light,  everybody wanted to drive into me.

Went with the Red Rooster after a crushed ankle and have been dancing in the dirt ever since.

Try an XR-400, just for the fun of it.  People won't look at you but it's a gas.

Most road bikers are disco.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
what Wolfbadge said except I have a Honda VT1100 Shadow Sabre.  I like the forward foot position on a cruiser and it is plenty fast but not so fast as to tempt you to kill yerself.

The V-Max is a badass cycle althought it looks a little too plasticky.  I remember test-riding my buddy's V-Max.  "So this is a V-Max, so what, what can it do?"  Then I twisted the throttle and the front end came up and I almost went off the back.  It'll open your eyes.

See you in Laughlin . . .
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Good lord - buy something Kewl!

American - Buell - HD power plant, sport bike proformance.

Italian - Ducatti - the ferrari of bikes
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Buy a used several year old CBR-600 or VFR-750, no need to cash out that kind of cash for a bike to learn on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
If you really want to stay yamaha try and find a FzR 600 great starter bike and plenty fast enough. I ride a Gsxr1100 now and miss my little fzr more than I thought I ever would. Plus you could be into one for a song and still have the waverunner. Remember who with the most toys wins.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#26]
If this is for fun forget the bikes! ATV's are more fun anyhow.  You can ride in any weather, go as fast as you want, jump, wheelie and it's all legal!  Check out a new Yamaha Raptor 660R or Banshee 350.  You might just find a new hobby!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I was at my local Yammy dealer the day they uncrated their first Raptor.  After putting it together, the head mechanic took it for a spin in the parking lot.  That thing was BADASK!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#28]
ATV's, while very cool just isn't cutting it in my neck of the wo....er....um.....street.  Think NY people. Long Island NY. Unfortunately there is more asphault roads then dirt trails where I live and I'll have to commute to NYC in this thing every now and then. Still want an R6 though, crazy right???[sleep]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
City riding + neophyte + sportbike fairing =$$$$$$$$ for the dealer! You might want to check out the naked Suzuki SV650. These are killer for city riding! Also check with your insurance man BEFORE you buy a Japanese Sportbike or you might be in for a shock. (depending on your age)
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I lean towards the cruiser side. Considering a Suzuki 1500 LC in the very near future.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Buy the r1, power is somthing you control. You'll get used to the weight. dont have to buy any aftermarket mods, maybe better meat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I own a 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R. Sport bikes like the R6, GSXR, ZX_R, and CBR's are race bikes with a headlight and turn signals. You would be amazed at how little race teams do to prep these bikes for racing. Think about that before you decide. If you ride around town a lot and are not trying to just profile(show off), then you will hate it. These bikes are made to be rode fast. For example, mine doesn't even begin to get fun until you get above 8,000 rpm. If your above 8,000 rpm in any gear but first you are breaking the posted speed limit. Try running through the gears at full throtle and you will be doing 150-170 mph on the top end. I have done it many times and while it is an adrenaline rush from hell, when you get home you feel like a complete dumbass for doing that on the street. A R6 has similar performance to mine, obviously since they improve these every year and yours would be a few years newer you can guess it would be a little quicker. Mine will do high 10's in the quarter mile and do 166mph on the top end. you can expect to be a few tenths faster in the quarter and a few mph faster on top end. Basically what i'm trying to say is all these stats sound great but when you actually ride like this on public streets then you are taking a big gamble. If you don't ride the bike to it's potential, and are buying it just to ride, then you won't be happy. On the other hand if you are trying to impress your buds and pick up women then this is the bike for you, chicks eat these things up, I haven't met a girl yet that hasn't loved mine. If this sounds like you...good luck...and be carefull.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Harley!
2nd choice would be that Honda Valkeri.
I guess you can tell I'm not into crotch rockets.  Besides its hard to carry my international match to the range on anything smaller than a Harley.
good day
DA
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#34]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1391821&a=10390076&p=44629033[/img].
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Harley?! BLAHH! Overpriced, uncomfortable, loud, did I mention WAY overpriced? It never fails to amaze me the number of motorcycle owners MOSTLY HD owners who like to tear down streets in 2nd gear with straight pipes as if their impressing people. People like that give all bike owners a bad name. For the ultimate in motorcycling you gotta go for Rice. I WOULD however buy a Buell, WAY FUN bike! For a first "city" bike I would recommend the Bandit 600 or a similar bike. You will want something that is nimble, zippy, and economical. The last year I had a bike on the road, about 4 years ago, I put 17,000 miles on it in one year. I get my monies worth!
Bren
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I ride a '00 Suzuki Marauder 800.  I love it, its loud, fast, and recently repainted.  Sorry, no tech for pics...

[beer]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I gots a question on the crotch rockets...

I sat on ONE and after  few minutes in the fetal position, my neck began to ache. With your body about flat on the tank, you gotta throw your head WAAAAAAAY back to be able to see down the road.

Add a helmet, and it seems like your neck couldn't survive for more than a few miles from the weight.

I found it VERY uncomfortable.

How do y'all deal with this??
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Waverunner, Kawasaki makes a decent cruiser with a good reputation in the region. The Roadstar is a class cruiser, but the Valk is very wide and you may not care for the riding position. For much the same money, you could be riding American Iron in the form of a Sportster 883 or a FXDL Superglide.  Try to ride a HD and see if you don't see they're miles apart from imported machines.  HD uncomfortable?  Personally I ride a 95" Road King right now that you could ride comfortably 2-up all day long uphill pulling a trailer.  It draws attention wherever it goes.  Overpriced?  I can get more money RIGHT NOW for my FLHR than I paid new.  M16, are you listening?  Earth to M16!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I hear ya garandman.  I am used to reclining as I do 500 miles a day.  I climbed "into" an R1 on the showroom floor, and could hardly even get out of it.  

Only a couple of times I can think of that I wish I was on a sport bike...
[url]http://www.dealsgap.com/[/url]
318 turns in 11 miles is serious twisties.  I left a big chunk of each floorboard at that place.  (In little spark sized vapors, of course.)  You should have seen me hanging off the side of my Roadie in an attempt to keep with the sporties.  Needless to say, I was highly ticked when they were out of site in less than a mile of twisties. :^|

[img]http://www.dealsgap.com/images/map/129.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Garandman, I founf this to be true also at first. When I had borrowed my buddies 900 Ninja for a couple of months I found it very uncomfortable after 20 minutes (my wrists). After a little bit though I like it and was used to it. You also have to remember that there are varying degrees of crotch rockets. Some are very restrictive about body posture such as the R1s and GSXRs when compared to ZX Ninjas or CBRs. Even when i had a cruiser I rode with my feet on the back pecgs because it was much more comfortable for me. I tried my dads highway pegs (foot forward position) and HATED it, INCREADIBLY sp? uncomfortable for me. Plus the forward slouch allows less wind blast in the chest and head region. I am now shopping for a ZX-12R, the ultimate in luxo-rockets.
Bren
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#41]
M16Man, have you looked at a Drifter 1500?  They make heap big power, have a great grip you can cruise all day with, and have real floorboards.  Once you ride with 'em, you don't want to go back to pegs or forward controls.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I already did the cruiser/standard bike thing, want something more sporty without contorting my body into a R1 type bike. I'm 5'8" and the bike didn't even fit me well, I think my gut resting on the tank had something to do with it. :) I'm not familar with the Nomad, is that a Kawi? The 12R is fuel injected, no jet kits or finicky chokes! It has a nice seat, relatively upright position, and it just "feels" right to me. It is a 1200 and it is as light as my last 80s 750 Kawi spectre ( a great bike also, sold it to my dad.) Look into the 80s Kawi bikes. They are like the Ar15s, very versitile with almost endless variations.
Bren
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Waverunner, if your looking for a 600cc sportbike to "start" with may I strongly suggest a YZF-600 Yamaha. It is Yami's middle class 600. Better than the FZR but not as aggressive as the R6, also cheaper! I was always skeptical of 600cc sportbikes unitl I rode one of these. If fit me like a glove and had a nice wide powerband. Very user friendly, I was really impressed with it. Only reason I did not get it is because I ride two up often and like to take soft luggage (sp?). You can find like new ones for about $5000.
Bren
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#44]
It depends on several factors and you need to ask yourself what's most important and what you plan to do with the bike:  

Reliability -
Longivility
Driveability -
Resale value -
Maintenance-
Distance you're going to ride?
Price-

Price wise, most bang 4 fuck is Japanese bike.
Distance wise will determine the type of bike you're going to buy, Tourer, cruiser, sport bike.
Maintenace, go with Japanese, its cheaper
Resale value, go with Harley followed by BMW
Driveability, go with BMW and Japanese
Longivility, go with BMW
Reliablity, go with BMW and Japanese

John
85 FZ-750
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
^^^
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#46]
WHAT no takers on a *good* BSA or Norton???

LOL [:)] British technology at its finest!

.....self lubricating!!!! Haaaaa!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#47]
NORTON??? Owned 2, a 750 and 850 w/combat engine.  Loved them, had a great sound but no one in my area worked on them.  Have tried Kawsaki 500, Yamaha 1100, Suzuki 900, Honda V-65 Magna.  I am thinking of a V-max as it's from my "era".  Got run off from HD when my friends bikes kept shaking apart.  The best advice I can give you is go with the bike you REALLY want.  Bikes are like gun calibers, there is no one perfect one.  Take a bike course, get plenty of insurance and remember doctors call them "donor cyles" for a reason.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#48]
i spent four years on the AMA roadracing tour and even though i LOVE two-strokes (nothing like poppin a wheelie at 120!!) i ride a Harley.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I hear 'ya Spook.  Rode a GT-750 2-stroke for many  years.  Nothing like dusting everybody off the line with that ding-ding-ding out the pipes!  Now I'm smoked off the line by every decent crotch rocket, but I'm laughing all the way to the bank...
jhencrt, you might want to visit your local dealer.  So much has changed in 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#50]
No doubt here, Honda CR250R 2001, and eat my roost!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top