Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 6:44:59 PM EDT
I would really like to see JC Watts as the next NRA President.  Not only is he known for playing football but he is also know for being a member of the US House. This is his last year in office so he would be available for the job too.  This guy knows what it is like to be in front of people.

Checkout his speach to the NRA at the 2000 annual meeting.  This guy knows the entire gun rights/gun control story.
http://www.thevanguard.org/thevanguard/other_writers/watts.shtml

Some Highlights

As is true of each of you, I make it a habit of citizenship to honor the entire Bill of Rights, not just the Amendments that happen to suit me. And let me restate once again that I stand completely and forever opposed to allowing the criminal element to destroy our liberties.

American democracy was created for self-governing individuals - people who did the right thing whether or not anyone else was watching. It was created for people who honored the golden rule not because it was a rule, but because they understood that it truly was golden.

That mentality is under attack, and let me state my belief very plainly: If we lose our ability to teach our children individual self-restraint, public order can only be maintained by outside forces.

If any of you watched the gun-control march on television - I'm figuring not many of you were there in person - you might have seen a sign which said this: "Please protect us from guns." This sign told me that this protester has so misread the problem that she blames inanimate objects for crimes that originate in the human heart.

My view is vastly different, and was stated very well in a recent essay in National Review magazine. The writer of that essay made the point this way: Blaming guns for horrors such as Columbine is no different than blaming the chains for slavery. The problem isn't the guns. The problem is what is in the hearts and minds of the very small minority that decides to kill.

I wish I could believe that proposing more gun control measure would or could do more to protect our children. But, time and time again, even newly proposed gun legislation would not have kept these acts of violence from happening.

Washington, D.C. has some of the most restrictive gun laws in America, but none of them were able to keep a recent shooting from occurring among local teens at the National Zoo.

Under the Gun-Free School Zones Act, for example, the 6,000 students caught at school with a weapon in the past two years could have all been prosecuted. How many did the administration actually prosecute? Just 13.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw Wayne LaPierre mention on a recent appearance on Hannity and Colmes that the next president of the NRA would be some ex-police chief.  He mentioned they guy's name, but I can't remember it offhand.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think J.C. Watts would make an OUTSTANDING NRA President. Or US President for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Richard Mack?  He was the first sheriff to say no to the Brady background checks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think J.C. Watts would make an OUTSTANDING NRA President. Or US President for that matter.
View Quote

As do I.

The only problem is J.C. has been, to the best of my knowledge, an honest politician and needs to make some money for his family.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Mr Watts, in my estimation is one of the best politicians we have.  I would persoanlly work on any campaign of his and be happy to donate until it hurts, and a bit more.

Now how to go about recruiting him?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that JC would be a KILLER NRA president. Especially after seeing his views on the subject above.

He has always struck me as an honest, decent human being. A minister, and a MAN who takes care of his out-of-wedlock child because he believes it is the RIGHT THING TO DO.

Draft him NOW!

Also, can you imagine the absolute hissy-fits the Left would have if the President of the NRA was BLACK? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That ALONE would be worth it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately it doesn't look like JC Watts will get the job.  I got this off another site.  Someone had suggest Tom Selleck and this was the response they go.

---------------
The President of the NRA is the equivalent of the Chairman of a Board of Directors.

This person is elected by NRA's Board of Directors, from the ranks of the Board itself.  Since Mr. Selleck is not currently on NRA's Board of Directors, he is not eligible to be elected.

Unless something drastic happens, it is normal for the First Vice President to move up to the Presidency of NRA.  As such, Kayne Robinson will be the next President.  This is a move I wholeheartedly approve of, and which I fully and enthusiastically support.  His credentials are impeccable, and he is an excellent leader.  I have no doubt he will serve with distinction, as he has already done for many, years.  He is a great guy!

If all goes as is normal, he will likely serve two years, the max allowed for anyone per NRA's By Laws.  Mr. Heston has served more than two years, but the By Laws were amended to accommodate him (by name) and him alone.  FWIW, the Board votes to do this were unanimous.

After his term (probably two years - terms are one year, and the President may succeed himself/herself once) Kayne Robinson will likely be succeeded as President by the current Second Vice President (who will move up to First VP).  This person is Ms. Sandra Froman, Esq.  Again, I believe this to be an excellent choice, and one which I fully and enthusiastically support. Her credentials are also impeccable, and she has served NRA with distinction.  I have no doubt that this will continue under her Presidency.  She is a wonderful Lady, who also collects and shoots Title III NFA guns (machine guns, etc).

If these things come to pass, and I believe they will, the Board will elect a new Second Vice President at the Board of Directors meeting immediately following the Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL, this next April.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree he would do well in both positions. The reality of the situation is -- he will get neither. And that is too damned bad.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
JC would have my vote.So would Alan Keyes for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
He is really a great guy.   Even though he played football at the other Oklahoma school.
His parents did a great job with his upbringing, and he has served his State and Country well.  
I too agree that he would be an excellent president.  
He has common sense, and is fair.  As far as the NRA is concerned. He would also make a good leader.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top