Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 6:41:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
seen um, drove em, and even worked on em.  one word: GAY!

they took out everything that made them badass.  not to mention its a hell of alot cheaper to buy a surplus one from the military not to mention this model year is already sold out

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.womanmotorist.com/p/gmc/hummer-h2-concept-2k-01.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...not to mention this model year is already sold out
View Quote

That just goes to show that the level of stupidity among the sheeple knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
POS.  All the stuff that made the Humvee a Humvee is gone, ground clearance (16"), portal axels, drive ratio, CTIS (or does it still have that?) . Now it is a just glorified suburban.  If you want a GM buy a suburban, lift it, put all the stuff you want and can use on it, then put the money you saved into guns.  You'll end up spending less on something more capable and will fill your needs better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
HUMMER GOOD

H2 BAD

ME TIRED

SLEEP NOW
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The H2 is basically a suburban with Hummer style bodywork applied.   THe suspension and transmission are upgraded a bit, but not nearly to the capability of the Humvee H1.  The H3 is going to be nothing but a Trailblazer with Hummer bodywork.

Actually, my opinion of the H1 is that it's too wide for real off-roading.  The ultimate off roader is a Jeep Wrangler body and frame with hopped up suspension, Chevy shortblock V-8, etc. Need cargo space?  Get a GM or Ford short bed pick-up with a diesel and rebuild the suspension and transmission for off-road capability.   Now put a good cap on the back for dry and secure storage.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Based on the unanimous opinions above, I guess the choice of an H2 as an "affordable" SHTF vehicle is definitely NOT a good one?

Remember, some of us have to carry 4 people AND their gear...
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The H2 is basically a suburban with Hummer style bodywork applied.  
View Quote

Huh?  Not even close.  The guys from Borg Warner had their H2 in town the other day.  It's still a HUGE vehicle, and retains a lot of the basic Hummer design, but in a much more user friendly package.  Would I get one for everyday driving (if I could afford it).  No way.  It's still too large for the streets.  However, if I wanted a pimpin off-road vehicle, I'd take it over the Jeep any day of the week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Unimog, cheaper and better. [smoke]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
To me it looks like the latest "Soccer Mom" vehicle.

Too round and soft (compared to the true Hummer)

It reminds me of a Jeep Grand Cherokee on steroids.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]
This just has that wow factor that the new one has lost.

www.grunts.net/album/afghan/afghan07.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Unimog, cheaper and better. [smoke]
View Quote

This man speaks the truth.  The Unimog can ford a 3-foot deep ditch at a 45 degree angle, and no wheel will ever leave the ground.

Plus, a decent one will run you about $15 grand.  They have been used to pull dead and loaded tractor trailers, and the Mercedes diesel engine will last forever with proper general maintenance.

the_reject
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The Hummve lost its WOW factor for me a long time ago. Its too wide to fit through many of the places we go 4 wheeling here, and this is AZ.

Any place that has serious mountains or trees you would be screwed.

And for military use. It doesn't fit in a helicopter. All they get used for in Afghanistan is crusing base perimeters. They are in the same boat as the M1 tank, best in the world perhaps, but that is little good as we cannot get them to where they are needed.

The Hummer needs to be replaced by something about 75 inches wide overall. Or about 10 inches less than its current width. Then it could fit inside Chinnok, Stallion, or Osprey
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#16]
We don't put vehicles [i]in[/i] helicopters, we sling them underneath.  I've put dozens of Hummers under Ch-47s without a hitch.  I agree, though, that we need a smaller general purpose vehicle.  The Hummer is great for a combat utility vehicle/weapons carrier, but it's too much for basic transportation.  I have an article on my desk her from 3 years ago, concerning the COMBATT (Commercially Based Tactical Truck) which was to be a GP transportation vehicle based on Ford 250 or Dodge 1500 series trucks.  Can't say where it went, but it was discouraging that they were slapping all sorts of extras (built in NVG, etc.) and jacking the price up to $35,000 a copy of a [i]pickup[/i]?  The old CUCV was a great idea (if a poor implementation) of the concept.

Edited to add:  I worked with a lot of the Mercedes-Benz vehicles while in Germany, and I was pleasantly impressed.  Much easier to maneuver than the HMMWV while scouting firing and hide locations in the countryside.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah SJ but look what sling loading does to the heilos flight profile.

Even the Chinnoks couldn't sling load to the places we landed in Anaconda.

But had they been able to get the vheicles inside they could of handled the weight.

We got the Canadians Volvo over-snow tractors in just fine carried internally.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
The H2 comes in 3 different configurations.

Check out the comparrison between the H1 and H2: [url]http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/h1/compare/index.jsp[/url]

People say that its MUCH smaller, but I only see about a 5 inch difference in length and width.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#19]
If they put some Wrangler MTRs on it, it would look MUCH better...
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Humvee is a distinct military vehical, and HUMMER is a Civilian version. sorry just had to pick on that fact. i know we all would like to call our AR15s M16s instead, but the fact is they are AR15s.  anyway...in my personal professional opinion, i also think the H2 is a homosexual  peice of !  H1 is soooo much better. besides its looks more like a Humvee.  the H2 looks like a H1 mated with a Jeep grand cherokee and poped out the H2.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks more like a Jeep Liberty mated with an H1. (My Grand Cherokee does not look even close to the H2, maybe the Laredo or older models...?)
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Do they offer any colors other than that god-awful yellow?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
According to the site:

White
Black
Yellow
Red Metallic
Pewter Metallic
Sunset Orange Metallic
Sage Green Metallic
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Mmmmm... Unimog

[img]http://www.hotchkiss.k12.co.us/hhs/southwest/unimog.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Great vehicle, min. overhang and good ground clearence.  I almost pick one up last week. most zll the off road feature of the H1 but don't have the hellish interior and the horrorible switch gears.  it is definitely the best capable off road on the market, only best by the original Hummer.  but in the on road performance, it out sihn the H1 by miles.  I figure the stuff this H2 can get in and out of is more then i will ever bargin for. Especially with a attractive price of 50,000 dollars, I think I will wiat until the market demands lower and pick up a white H2 at just above invoice.

My only gripe is the oversized spare tire in the cargo area taking up too much space.  maybe someone will make a rack to hang that puppy out side.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My only gripe is the oversized spare tire in the cargo area taking up too much space.  maybe someone will make a rack to hang that puppy out side.
View Quote

If you put your ear close to the ground you can hear the rumble of the aftermarket tooling up.  There's gonna be more bolt-on accessories for the H2 than anything in recent memory.  Roof racks, external spare carriers, jerry can carriers, brush guards, you name it and there are four folks busting their asses to get theirs' out by Christmas.

Arock
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
it is definitely the best capable off road on the market, only best by the original Hummer.  
View Quote

What?

No sir, first the M-B G500 will leave it behind.

[img]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/firstlook/mb.gwagon/mb.gwagon.action.500.jpg[/img]

Second, the Unimog is the finest off vehicle not on tracks.

[img]http://home.t-online.de/home/Erwin.Lottermann/pew_db-unimog%20427-10_05_al011024.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We don't put vehicles [i]in[/i] helicopters, we sling them underneath.  I've put dozens of Hummers under Ch-47s without a hitch.  I agree, though, that we need a smaller general purpose vehicle.  The Hummer is great for a combat utility vehicle/weapons carrier, but it's too much for basic transportation.  I have an article on my desk her from 3 years ago, concerning the COMBATT (Commercially Based Tactical Truck) which was to be a GP transportation vehicle based on Ford 250 or Dodge 1500 series trucks.  Can't say where it went, but it was discouraging that they were slapping all sorts of extras (built in NVG, etc.) and jacking the price up to $35,000 a copy of a [i]pickup[/i]?  The old CUCV was a great idea (if a poor implementation) of the concept.

Edited to add:  I worked with a lot of the Mercedes-Benz vehicles while in Germany, and I was pleasantly impressed.  Much easier to maneuver than the HMMWV while scouting firing and hide locations in the countryside.
View Quote

What happened to all the Blazers and pickups I used to see the Army and NG motoring around in 10 years ago?  

The problem with the military is that they can't have anything that just works, they need a lot of fancy shit of questionable utility tacked onto a vehicle to make it supercool.  A regular, base model V-8 or Diesel pick up or SUV with bare bones interior and raised intakes and exhausts would do almost everything that would be needed for transport, for less than a Humvee.

The thing that made the Jeep such a great vehicle was that it was light, cheap as shit, small, and fairly capable.  The Humvee is safer and whole lot more modular (ambulances, SAM platform, maintenance van, etc, etc, etc), but I think is a loser when compared to the Jeep of old.

The H2 is just another POS being marketted to the "got lots o' money and not a lot o' brains" crowd.  It's big as Hell (so it can't fit down any of the woodland trails in VA where 4WD is really needed), horribly expensive, and is probably a maintenance nightmare.  If you are all about looks and no substance, by all means buy it.  If you are smart, buy a Unimog or a pick up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a Volvo on steroids.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a Chevy Yukon, with some plastic and quasi military styling..A toy.

As to the "Universalmotorgerat", I work on em.Daily. The majority of Unimogs one sees now are either Ex Bund 404.1's, or Ex Swiss 404.1's

There are some Belgian surplus 404.1 radio, and ambulance bodies being imported, but they look well used.. The Garman surplus rides are about gone..
The best buys are the Swiss U404.1's, with a couple I've seen looking new, and posessing a hare over 5,000K on the odometer..

These use a SOHC 2.2 litre gasoline six, a two barrel Zenith carb, and shielded ignition..

The later diesel 'Mogs tend to be U406's, or U-416's, with a smattering of 1300l, and 1500l's

Neither are very fast, the gas rigs tend to top out at 55, and loose this rapidly on grades.. The diesels top out around 45 to 60 depending on mark, and are expensive in terms of initial cost, and maintenance..

Another consideration is the Steyr-Daimler-Puch "Pinzgauer".. A one ton truck, running a 4 cylinder, 2.5 litre air cooled mill. Dual Zeniths, shielded ignition.. THESE are superb trucks. Their wheelbase is smaller than a CJ-7's and they handle onroad a lot like an old VW bus.. Locking front, and rear diffrentials,portal axles and four wheel independent suspension..

ANY of the above would prove superior mechanically to the "Homo-2".

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#32]
[img]http://www.ibistek.com/images/gallery_viper1_large.jpg[/img]
I just bought this truck and there is this switch I have never seen before.
Let me hit it and see what happens, ok.
Daymmn!
[img]http://www.ibistek.com/images/gallery_viper2_large.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.ibistek.com/images/gallery_oldglory_large.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it is definitely the best capable off road on the market, only best by the original Hummer.  
View Quote

What?

No sir, first the M-B G500 will leave it behind.

Second, the Unimog is the finest off vehicle not on tracks.
View Quote

I thought the Unimog was 1-wheel drive.  Wouldn't you want to use the Quadramog? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]
well my whole idea about the H-2 is that it may be a good "Humvee" for a female but if you want a domesticated look for a humvee you are looking for the wrong type of vehicle..
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#35]
UNIMOG!  Yes Please!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I just bought this truck and there is this switch I have never seen before.
Let me hit it and see what happens, ok.
Daymmn!
View Quote

I need to go to the restroom now.

(Let's see... where's that lotion..)
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#37]
[img]http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/vehicles/gallery/unimog421.jpg[/img]
Who'd have ever thought that a Unimog could be "cute"?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#38]
$50,000 wannabemobile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top