Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2002 10:28:37 AM EDT
My TV set all of a sudden does not recieve [b]VHF[/b] channels (2-13). It gets [b]UHF[/b] channels fine. I don't have cable or satilite, just an anntenna on the roof with RF line being split off to 3 TVs. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the RF line in the back of the TV and then sometimes I was able to get channels 12 and 10 but when I would try for channel 6 I would lose all VHF. Non of the other TVs are having any problems getting VHF. WTF ?

Edited bec I screwed up UHF and VHF.
Is this something that a repair shop can do cheap or should I just go buy a new TV ?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#1]
buy a new bigscreen widescreen (16x9) HDTV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
buy a new bigscreen widescreen (16x9) HDTV.
View Quote

Oh, yeah.  Get one.  That rooftop antenna will really start working for ya.

First, switch one of the other TVs to this antenna lead.  If you have isolated it to the TV, take it to the dumpster and spend $150 at wal-mart for another.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]
What kinda TV set, how old, etc.?  Important question is does it have a manual tuner (turn the knob, clunk-clunk-clunk) or is it a digital tuner (up/down buttons, numeric keypad, etc.)

I'm assuming the connection from antenna is good. Do you have another TV with which you can verify proper operation of the 'missing' VHF channels??

If the former, sometimes cleaning with 'tuner spray' and tightening tuner drum contacts fixes this. If the latter (that is, a newer TV) you likely have serious problems with TV requiring decent amount of service. You could end up paying $75-$150 for a TV not worth much now that decent new TVs - even up to 27"! - range $150-$275.

TVs now are quite 'simple' - that is, few components inside. Many TVs use a "one chip TV" concept (Philips Semiconductors, my company, owns a huge chunk of this market and supplies many mfgrs) meaning the whole guts of the TV is just a little tin tuner box, a small 'motherboard' and LV & HV power supplies.
Most TV shops can't replace the fine-pitch chips on these PC boards and just swap boards, which can cost more than the discount-store price of a new TV set esp after labor and pick-up/delivery factored in.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Naaah,
Got it wrong, I've seen this
type of problem.  He just needs
some frequency grease.  Yep, that's it.
[;)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
bwiese, The TV is a samsung made in 1993. It has a digital tuner. I checked the connection to the antenna with another TV so I know that is not the problem.

I didn't realize new TVs were so cheap. Hell I'll just go buy a new one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My TV set all of a sudden does not recieve [red]VHF[/red] channels (2-13). It gets [red]VHF[/red] channels fine.
View Quote

Which is it? either it gets the VHF or doesn't...
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My TV set all of a sudden does not recieve [red]VHF[/red] channels (2-13). It gets [red]VHF[/red] channels fine.
View Quote

Which is it? either it gets the VHF or doesn't...
View Quote

It doesn't get VHF. I fixed the original post.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, now I'm clear - I thought half of your VHF channels were dead. (This can happen: Ch 2-6 are lo-band VHF, approx 54-84 MHz; Ch 7-13 is 'hi band' VHF, and ranges over approx 174 - 216 Mhz. Depending on design, different circuits in tuner could be involved, though not likely in a 90s TV set.)

If your TV has an NTSC video input (not just a cable TV input) - it'll be a phono jack style, not an 'F' connector) you could also use your VCR as a tuner! A little extra handwaving but no big thing.

You could also get a VHF->UHF block converter box. But that's gonna be $30+ if I'm guessing right. VCR approach is better.

Getting a new TV shouldn't be that $bad$. I paid $169 for a 25" Sharp with front & rear A/V inputs. It's OK, but I really should've bought a Philips. (Non-Japanese, friendlier user interface for menus, modes, setup, etc.)

TVs don't last as long (not relevant to this particular problem) because mfgrs are getting great pictures and brilliant colors by running the picture tubes (CRT) at very high, near-limit voltages. Long-term, this reduces effective life of CRT (that is, the life that the CRT produces a quality image - it'll still run after it gets tired but it sure won't be 'new' looking image.)

Yet another disposable commodity consumer electronic application.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top