Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2013 6:18:39 AM EDT
This info is up on face book from some friends back in my home town in Cali and they are wondering if it is true and if this is going on with our troops because if it is its a shame.

Can you all please let me know if this is for real that our troops are no longer getting breakfast?
Thanks everyone.

For those of you who haven't heard, our elected officials believe that our military who are deployed overseas don't have a need for breakfast anymore, and our troops found out the hard way they were being denied such effective today.

"There are signs posted on the chow halls [saying that breakfast will not be provided], then once inside, I asked the girl that checks the cards if we were getting no HOT meals and just cereal etc or nothing, and she told us no, the halls will be locked, and they were. Most soldiers found out by showing up this morning and finding the chow halls locked. We got a days notice, no MRE's, nothing. It would make sense to cut the LUNCH chow out or at least down to just cold meat sandwiches, cause when on mission, most don't ever seen lunch. That Day's Notice, was just a sign on the chow hall. If you didn't go to a chow hall yesterday or hear, you were surprised. I had grabbed stuff last night, apples, oranges, v8 and snacks, but a lot of soldiers didn't."

'In another message, the soldier explained that defense budget cuts in the bill recently passed to avoid the fiscal cliff are apparently the reason that breakfast will no longer be served. As an American who believes that our troops deserve the full support of the country they are fighting to protect, I must adamantly express my disapproval for this "no breakfast" policy and urge Congressman Wolf to change it. I do not know if this policy is widespread throughout Afghanistan or if it is only affecting a few bases, but to be blunt - one base is one too many. The soldiers in this particular unit are combat engineers -- it is their job to go before the infantry to clear the route of IEDs. How can they be expected to have the sharpness of mind and strength of body required for such a dangerous & demanding job if they are not provided a solid meal at the beginning of the day? Also, what message is Congress sending our soldiers by taking away a such staple of everyday life--breakfast? It's a message the conveys a lack of support, awareness, & gratitude for the dangerous, sacrificial work that they are doing. And that is an absolutely unacceptable message for our brave soldiers to receive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
derp
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Lol this is about the biggest propaganda piece I've seen lately..

Don't believe everything you read
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't ever believe everything you read on idiotbook....
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
nm
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know what the dealio is in AFG, but I've been on many deployments for weeks, months, and over a year where only one hot a day was provided.

The other meals were covered by issues of MREs.  I'm sure that's what's happening here.  No way they are only getting two meals.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised though if their HQ element has fucked the pooch in getting ahead of the curve here and neglected to draw MRE's on time, thus causing one or two days of confusion in the unit.  I've seen that many times, even on simple shit like training.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't know what the dealio is in AFG, but I've been on many deployments for weeks, months, and over a year where only one hot a day was provided.

The other meals were covered by issues of MREs.  I'm sure that's what's happening here.  No way they are only getting two meals.

flashbacks of MRE poops

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#7]
But but, it's the most important meal of the day...
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL. This sounds like a duffel blog story.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I rate FB about half as reliable as GD and if someone posted here, unsourced, that the sun was shining, I'd immediately start looking for my umbrella.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I rate FB about half as reliable as GD and if someone posted here, unsourced, that the sun was shining, I'd immediately start looking for my umbrella.

And not only this^ ....   This "information" came from California, the source of the most ridiculous stuff you'll ever hear.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a french model- "bon jour"
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a short period about 2 years ago that with the land routes thru Pakistan closed and Baghram airbase snowed in, that they were limiting the mess hall to Active Duty only, telling the contract companies that they were responsible to feed their own people, and leaving DoD civilians stuck in the middle.  This was quickly fixed.  That is the only situation that even comes close to what the OP posted.

But who knows, Regular army chow halls are strange animals, when you are used to CJSOTF food troughs
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#13]

I can verify that this is absolutely true.  

The military is being forced to cut their budgets to the absolute bone.

As another cost cutting measure, they have ordered that the troops only be allowed to wear one of their boots each day.  The left boot is to be worn on odd numbered days and the right boot is to be worn on even numbered days.  On special occasions, like award ceremonies, they are told that they can wear both boots, but that they have to hop to formation.

It's insane!

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a french model- "bon jour"

Now that's funny!
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For a semi serious reply....

1. There are hundreds of chow halls in Afghanistan.  All with a different supply, security, and staffing situation.
2.  Your friend is an idiot for believing all that and the person who originally posted it needs to be bitch slapped.
3.  I can guarantee that any decision to close a major chow hall(as this one seems to be) was made in advance.  They had a days warning which was more than most people would get.  The units on that FOB would know and would spread the word.
4.  "no MREs, nothing"  lol...not quite, be a drama queer somewhere else.
5.  I like how this idiot blames all sorts of financial crisis bullshit on something he clearly has no understanding of.
6.  The are plenty of instances of chowhalls getting closed..cleaning, security, inventory, whatever.  Sounds like this "guy" is a clueless drama queer that is spending too much time running operations around a big FOB.  He needs to get out to where living is hard.

either that or the whole story is some bullshit made by a never deployed bullshit artist here in the US.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can verify that this is absolutely true.  

The military is being forced to cut their budgets to the absolute bone.

As another cost cutting measure, they have ordered that the troops only be allowed to wear one of their boots each day.  The left boot is to be worn on odd numbered days and the right boot is to be worn on even numbered days.  On special occasions, like award ceremonies, they are told that they can wear both boots, but that they have to hop to formation.

It's insane!

Now THAT is at least as traumatic as Y2K

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There was a short period about 2 years ago that with the land routes thru Pakistan closed and Baghram airbase snowed in, that they were limiting the mess hall to Active Duty only, telling the contract companies that they were responsible to feed their own people, and leaving DoD civilians stuck in the middle.  This was quickly fixed.  That is the only situation that even comes close to what the OP posted.

Yeah...they ran out of Bacon as we were coming through BAF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#18]
They were serving breakfast here this morning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure it's true.  They spent so much money getting gays in the military, they ran out of money for food.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

flashbacks of MRE poops  

Meal Ready to Exit has only two speeds- Constipation or Diarhea. You know it's gonna be good when the instructions for heating involve a "rock or something" verbatum...

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Now I see why people believe these chain emails.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

flashbacks of MRE poops  

Meal Ready to Exit has only two speeds- Constipation or Diarhea. You know it's gonna be good when the instructions for heating involve "a rock or something" verbatum...

That is a damn fine looking rock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Just had "Steak" in kandahar.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Breakfast was 3 fried eggs, toast, and orange juice.

Lunch was Fish Curry with rice, and rice pudding.  I like rice and indian food so I am all up on the Indian DFAC.

Dinner was shitty steak, with shitty shrimp, shitty potatoes with cheese and unidentifyable green vegetable.

I got my three squares over here.  Must have not taken effect yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Breakfast was 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, hash brown, bacon, bagel and juice.  Tasted pretty good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Was it accompanied by "lobster"?

I always hated those days. "Hey everybody, it smells like steak and lobster! Even looks slightly like it!" "What's it taste like?" "*chomp* *aww*"

More like a reminder that you're not actually getting steak and lobster
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That about sums it up!
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#28]
What a flaming load of crap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Unless out in the field or on mission - I CAN'T think of ONE time anybody went hungry when I was in...
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always hated those days. "Hey everybody, it smells like steak and lobster! Even looks slightly like it!" "What's it taste like?" "*chomp* *aww*"

That Lobster was not Lobster

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#31]
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1849/rockorsomething.png

I miss the infamous "Rock or Something."  

It was a refreshing breath of clarity in a world of Powerpoint and bureaucratese
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Camp Brown?
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it's true.  They spent so much money getting gays in the military, they ran out of money for food.

I read that with a nice dose of sarcasm.

I hope I'm right.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#34]
After the last care package I sent my buddy they should be good on poptarts till at least 2014.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#35]
troops not being fed.  Bahhhhh
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I wasnt fed anything in Germany in 1987. They didnt feed me for about 3 days
On field manuvers and they told me to go park a duece and a half in the woods and camo it good and then just stay there.  I guess I did too good of a job cause I didnt see anyone for 3 days.  Finally some cooks pull up and start yelling and I came out of the trees and they said are you XXXX?  I said yes and they asked if anyone had been delivering food and I said no.  So since I was last on their route they would leave as much grub as I wanted.  Plus they delivered water and left cans of water so I could shower.
I spent 30 days out there in the woods alone, most bizarre field exercise ever.  I read a bunch of books, slept in til mid day, explored the mountains, made camp fires, played cards, didnt shave for days at a time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imitation crabmeat

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imitation crabmeat

But the train set was all too real.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

flashbacks of MRE poops  

Meal Ready to Exit has only two speeds- Constipation or Diarhea. You know it's gonna be good when the instructions for heating involve a "rock or something" verbatum...

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1849/rockorsomething.png

We could have out fruitcake and eat it too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The other meals were covered by issues of MREs. I'm sure that's what's happening here. No way they are only getting two meals.

flashbacks of MRE poops

Meal Ready to Exit has only two speeds- Constipation or Diarhea. You know it's gonna be good when the instructions for heating involve "a rock or something" verbatum...

That is a damn fine looking rock.

That's a 'something'....not a rock.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#41]
"We've already had our breakfast Sir"
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

flashbacks of MRE poops explosions  

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that with a nice dose of sarcasm.

I hope I'm right.

Your meter is properly calibrated.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

flashbacks of MRE poops  

MRE poop visual... V

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I just recieved a email this evening from leadership here and there will be some food stuff shortages due to Hurricane Sandy and the delayed effect that it had on shipping.

IOW, some types of food will be in short supply. They did not say what type of food. But we will have food.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#46]
pentagon experts have found that not feeding soldiers a breakfast makes them less aggressive and less likely to get involved with indigents when those worthy folk are found raping and beating girls and young boys.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Military deployed to Fort Benning at Harmony Church only get 2 MRE’s a day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#48]
WTF, how is this Fobbit supposed to get his Rip It fix? on a serious note, i received 3 hot meals today, 1 at FOB Gamberi and 2 at BAF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Military deployed to Fort Benning at Harmony Church only get 2 MRE’s a day.

"deployed to Benning" eh?

What are they doing, building FEMA camps?
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Good times...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top