Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2002 7:19:22 PM EDT
first........   [b]you friggin thieves! [/b][;)]

anyway, i have a question thats been rolling around in my head. what happens to the last years model cars that havent sold? do they eventually get sold at a cheaper price? do they go back to the factory to be upgraded to that year's model? sold to car rental agencies at a discount? crushed and shredded? sold to the NAVY to build minesweepers?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They sit on dealers lots till they do something with them. I worked at a Honda dealer in 96 and somewhere around June we had a brand new 95 Accord just show up one day. Looked like it just got lost on the dock somewhere!!

( btw I'm in parts not sales before you go hating me!! ) ;)
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
......do they go back to the factory to be upgraded to that year's model?
View Quote

Once they leave the factory they never go back.  It is a one way trip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Several things happen to them:
1) They get discounted like hell in order to get sold.
2) Car rental angecies get good buys on them.
3) Some go overseas for sale.

They NEVER go back to the factory.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
so, at about what time of the year would be good to buy 2002 models?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
*This does not apply to hot selling models, or models with hard to get options or colors*

That being said, if it's on the lot that means they had a bunch and supply was no problem.  You can get the same deal at the start of the year as at the end when the "discounts" are on.  It just depends on your haggling ability.  All too often people come on the lot, see a small discount at model year end and think they have gotten out of the displeasure of negotiating.  WRONG!  Many other people have been drinving that model for almost a year alredy, bought it new, and paid less.  If you arm yourself with the proper information and follow a few simple rules of negotiating there is no best time of the year.  Maybe near closing time if you know already what you want, the dealer has it, and you offer a lean deal after a few negotiation sessions.  You need to find out what that sweet spot or lean deal they will take is- usually about 3% or $300.00 over invoice.  Never be afraid to ask for the invoice, and yes $300 over is plenty of money for them.  They get more than that from company withholdings you never hear about.  Lastly off the top my head- once you get your good deal don't screw it up with a bad financing rate.  Play with the final cost of the vehicle vs. financing rate vs length of loan.  Never just talk about a payment- you will get screwed (unless you have figured and memorized the numbers backwards and forwards- as numbers don't lie).  Also- don't forget you can dicker with all the dealer installed options like go-fast spoilers and side-jiggies.  They can separate your money from you at every stage of the game, know each one and you will be fine.  Actually it's fun to watch them squirm as they try at each level to make up for their "giving in" on the orginal price, financing, options, etc.  Lastly if you're looking at a domestic, for criminy's sake get the employee discount (Option I GM, A Plan Ford)- pay for it if you have to- NOBODY CARES!  it just means they sold another unit.  Good Luck Hunting!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It depends on the make/model!  Or if their is a significant style change in the new model year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
*This does not apply to hot selling models, or models with hard to get options or colors*

That being said, if it's on the lot that means they had a bunch and supply was no problem.  You can get the same deal at the start of the year as at the end when the "discounts" are on.  It just depends on your haggling ability.  All too often people come on the lot, see a small discount at model year end and think they have gotten out of the displeasure of negotiating.  WRONG!  Many other people have been drinving that model for almost a year alredy, bought it new, and paid less.  If you arm yourself with the proper information and follow a few simple rules of negotiating there is no best time of the year.  Maybe near closing time if you know already what you want, the dealer has it, and you offer a lean deal after a few negotiation sessions.  You need to find out what that sweet spot or lean deal they will take is- usually about 3% or $300.00 over invoice.  Never be afraid to ask for the invoice, and yes $300 over is plenty of money for them.  They get more than that from company withholdings you never hear about.  Lastly off the top my head- once you get your good deal don't screw it up with a bad financing rate.  Play with the final cost of the vehicle vs. financing rate vs length of loan.  Never just talk about a payment- you will get screwed (unless you have figured and memorized the numbers backwards and forwards- as numbers don't lie).  Also- don't forget you can dicker with all the dealer installed options like go-fast spoilers and side-jiggies.  They can separate your money from you at every stage of the game, know each one and you will be fine.  Actually it's fun to watch them squirm as they try at each level to make up for their "giving in" on the orginal price, financing, options, etc.  Lastly if you're looking at a domestic, for criminy's sake get the employee discount (Option I GM, A Plan Ford)- pay for it if you have to- NOBODY CARES!  it just means they sold another unit.  Good Luck Hunting!
View Quote
Ivoice is not dealer cost anymore or am I wrong, two different things. They are way to eager to show invoice, dealer cost is the bottom line.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ideally it would be 2004. >gg<  However, the deeper you get into 2003 the better the discount. Also keep in mind that the ones left over are the equivalent of an 8-track player: no one really wants it. So if you can deal with what it has/doesn't have, you can get a great deal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Bountyhunter- you are correct.  That is the "withholding" I was talking about.  Technically- invoice is what the dealer paid for the car.  They do get a "kickback" from the factory for storage, etc.  You, nor I will never see all that, you have to be one of the chief snakes at the dealership to get that info.  If you get employee purchase you are getting the car at the cheapest ANYONE can.  Occasionally, you can get employee price with special financing or a dirt cheap lease if the factory is sponsoring it.  I remember back when the Grand Cherokees first came out DCX was running a lease deal that was so cheap it was ridiculus.  Bottom line find invoice price on the net and haggle your way there- or a few hundred bucks over if you can't get employee discount.  If you can't negotiate- be a man and ask for help from a friend who can.  I have done this numerous times for my friends and have gotten looks of bewilderment driving home.  They had no idea prices could go so low.  Again, let me stress- if the model you want is not on the lot in quantity the harder it is to get the salesperson to take a lean deal.  It's real simple, if someone is going to come in after you for that popular model and pay sticker, and they can't keep them on the lot, you're not going to get a lean deal.  Final thoughts- a few real big snakes I know have fake photocopied invoices for cars.  This is rare, but the figures are out there on the net and when you see the invoice they WILL match.  Lastly, I implore you for cars on the lot it is only cheaper for suckers and laydowns at the end of the year.  Don't be one of these guys.  Also (man this stuff is just rolling out of my brain) never bruise the ego of your salesman.  If you attempt to let him know "you know the drill- just give me the good deal" you won't get it.  These snakes train heavily, this is how they make their living, and they are proud.  They are most proud of the "MACKS" they get on un-informed folks.  If you don't let them politely go through the motions they will be insulted and you will drive home in what you got there in.  

P.S. If you can help it- NEVER trade your car in at the dealership- they will just about give you the new one for free and make it up on your used car.  There is way more mark up in used sales.  Sell it privately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top