Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2002 12:13:32 PM EDT
I'll keepm it short:

1) Does anyone know of a good gun-collection database software package, either downloadable or that can be purchased? Free is always best, of course.

2) I'm thinking of purchasing the wife a Sony PlayStation 2 for Christmas (along with some VERY cool games for ME!  [:D]). Does anyone recommend the X-Box or GameCube over the PS2, and if so, why?

3) I'm planning on scanning a whole safe-full of documents I have then burning the scanned images onto a CD-ROM that I will store in my gun safe. The safe is a National Security with double fireliner. Qurestion: would a plastic CD-Rom be protected from a fire in such a safe?

That's it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take an XBox over the others any day. The XBox has Halo, the controllers are light years ahead of PS2 both in size and the ability to get to all of the buttons quickly. Also, you will be able to play games "online" in November with the XBox.

I've played them all and XBox is the best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the cd's survival is up toy your safe. Depending on its fire rating they may or may not survive. Remember house fire temps get EXTREAMLY HOT! a safe that will protect firearms at 2500 degrees for 30 min will likely be worth about 10-15 min for a cd. Plastic warps at a much lower temp than a gun will melt. You can get a plastic type "fire box" pretty cheap. I might suggest putting the cd's in that and then in the safe. Would buy you a lot more time in the event of a major fire.

mike
View Quote

Along the same lines....why don't you just get a bank safety deposit box to keep the CDs in? I've got one for birth certificates, tax stuff and NFA stuff. It's cheap, like $20 a year or something like that and there is plenty of room for all kinds of stuff. I'm not so worried about the stuff getting burned up as much as I am me losing it. It's just some cheap aggravation insurance. Now if I can only remember where I put the damn key [;)]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
On the CD: the fire box is a good idea that is what I do. I have a small fire rated box inside the Gun safe for papers and inventory stuff.

I also keep a back up off site in a safe deposit box at the bank.

I would make several copys of the cd you want to keep and keep one at the bank and one at the house and one at work if I really needed to retain the info.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting about the XBox.... Always heard PS2 was better.

The safe deposit box is a good idea, especially if multiple copies of the CD-ROM are used. I guess I'll go that way.

Doesn't ANYBODY have a database for their guns around here?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
keep your list in your head and wear a tin-foil hat.  That way the gub'mint can't find out nuthin'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top