Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2002 12:34:27 AM EDT
I'm looking at both these areas as a possible new home.

Right now I'm in Texas, and will be leaving before the end of the year.

Which of these places should I move to?  Or is your home better?  Tell me about it.  CA and East Coast are out though!

Thanks in advance for your input.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't say much from experience, but Idaho looks good to me... I've been lulling that over for a few months now.. and I'm gettin close to movin on up.

I mean, there are like 738 people in Idaho. ...and all the McDonalds fries you can eat [:D]

Don't fence me in
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't move to Idaho! It's terrible here! The winters are COLD and LONG, it's dark.  The summers are short and filled with Mosquitos.  You will hate it.  You will constantly be trying not to run over game on the highway (the only one) and the locals will make fun of you.

Nah, just kidding. Idaho is awesome, it's beautiful, not a whole lot of people yet but it's populating quickly,  lots of outdoor opportunity. As long as you're not a liberal, come on up!

Matt
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Eastern Tennessee is a pretty area.

The farthest Eastern portion (Johnson City, Bristol) is hilly / mountainous, but not a real good area industrially / economy-wise. The temps are cooler generally than most of the SouthEast.

Knoxville is flat lands, but more industry and job possibilities. Warmer temps.

Knoxville is basically a College town, if yer into that sort of thing.

Course, it DOES have the UT Vols!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not Montana or Wyoming?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a little partial to Tenn. myself, although I've never even been to Idaho. The pictures and things I've seen and heard about Idaho are nice but it seems a little too isolated for my tastes. What are the things your looking for? Property?, work? what?.  I've lived in NYC, Dallas, Atlanta, Boone, N.C., and San Diego but still find myself residing in good ol'Nashville.  I will say that Dallas has some of the prettiest woman in the world and that city combines a cosmopolitan look with  good ol' southern hospitality.  What it boils down to is what your reasons are for moving there.  More info needed!!
Gemologist[x]
BLOAT
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh please not Idaho I already have enough new houses going up in all my old favorite stomping grounds. It seems like Idaho is just growing to fast for me and most of the real locals. The traffic on the hyways is worse than people will tell you and all the game animals has been shot by out of state hunters. But seriously it used to be a nice place before the 1990,s.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Eastern Tennessee is a pretty area.

The farthest Eastern portion (Johnson City, Bristol) is hilly / mountainous, but not a real good area industrially / economy-wise. The temps are cooler generally than most of the SouthEast.

Knoxville is flat lands, but more industry and job possibilities. Warmer temps.

Knoxville is basically a College town, if yer into that sort of thing.

Course, it DOES have the UT Vols!!!!!

View Quote

Flat lands? Are you hitting the jug again?

Come to Knoxville. We've got it ALL! East Tennessee kicks Idaho's ass every single day.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Green furniture- Yea, Knoxville is not what I would call flat.  Texas, aside from parts of E Texas(Longview for example are rolling hills and forest) are what I would call flat.  I do belive that Idaho has mountains that range much higher than our typical 3000-4000ft peaks. I think that Idaho has elevations that are at least twice that of ours.  It's just that your so isolated.  That would probably appeal to some though.  Someone looking for vast amounts of land for ranching or farming might find that to be exactly what they are looking for.
Gemologist[x]
BLOAT
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh I almost forgot....
If you don't like the color orange, this state is not for you.  We have some of the craziest college football fans around!!!!
Gemologist[x]
BLOAT
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm looking at both these areas as a possible new home.

Right now I'm in Texas, and will be leaving before the end of the year.

Which of these places should I move to?  Or is your home better?  Tell me about it.  CA and East Coast are out though!

Thanks in advance for your input.
View Quote

Take everybodies advice and go to Tennessee. You wouldn't like Idaho. I have family all over the state. They are the most obnoxious people that you will find. They ostracize immigrants from other states. They will make fun of you for your funny way of talking. The Mormon Church will prosletize you every day.

[b]All of the above is not true.[/b] I am just trying to get you to move to Tennessee. I have property in Idaho, and don't want the landscape crapped up with more people. I remember how good California was in the fifties. Migrants and immigrants have ruined this, at one time, great state.

[b]Flamers Ten-hut, Ready up, aim, Flame![/b]

Bill
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Tennessee is the closest thing you'll get to Texas.

1.Your old football team...Tennessee Titans

2.Shall issue carry state
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Flat lands? Are you hitting the jug again?

Come to Knoxville. We've got it ALL! East Tennessee kicks Idaho's ass every single day.

View Quote

Compared to Asheville, NC, Knoxville is flat.

Or at least in what I refer to as the flatlands.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I concur with those who say TN.  Idaho does NOT have it all!  Tennessee has more people (if your thing is people), little hills (for those who get tired easily), humidity, and you need half the letters from a Scrabble game to form the name!  Idaho has none of these things.  Mount Borah is the highest peak at 12,900'.  I believe we are the 9th largest state and border Canada, Washinton, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Montana.  All I needed to get a CWP (important note: Concealed WEAPON permit. meaning automatic knives, clubs guns whatever) was my hunter safety certificate from age 12!  Yep, Tennessee (captain of the double letters) is looking better all the time!  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Idaho.

I grew up in the SF bay area & can remember taking my .22 to the beach after school...no way can that happen now.  Lived in north TX for 15 years & I'd go back in a minute were it not for the summer weather (which seemed to last from June until November).

Moved back to bay area in y2k & stayed JUST long enough in the house there to avoid capital gains.  Got to Kuna (a little west of Boise) 6 weeks ago.  SWMBO is a native Boise girl, so I'm accepted here compared to the run-of-the-mill PRK transplant.  I still tell folks I don't know that I'm from TX instead of the PRK if I have the chance.

Weather is not too hot in the summer, cold in the winter, but not for too long.  If you camp/fish/hunt/backpack/shoot you're in hog heaven.  

Concealed weapon permit here took 10 minutes to apply for, including 2 sets of prints.  Ada county (Boise) needs proof of some kind of gun training to issue the permit, Canyon county (where I live) wants a vaild driver's license from any state & some money.

Damn glad to be here.

-hanko
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Hanko, Listen to 670 KBOI for traffic reports.  I am the silent one in the background flying the plane.  Or on Channel 7 listen for me buzzing Larry Gebbert the weather guy.  That is me trying to drown out his broadcast!  Bob Peters is my reporter/passenger.  BoiseTraffic.com will get you a look at me, the crew and Barney, my purple airplane.  It will also give you the same info we are compiling for the reports on all the other Treasure Valley traffic reports.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey Hanko, Listen to 670 KBOI for traffic reports.  I am the silent one in the background flying the plane.  Or on Channel 7 listen for me buzzing Larry Gebbert the weather guy.  That is me trying to drown out his broadcast!  Bob Peters is my reporter/passenger.  BoiseTraffic.com will get you a look at me, the crew and Barney, my purple airplane.  It will also give you the same info we are compiling for the reports on all the other Treasure Valley traffic reports.  Planerench out.
View Quote

Planewrench:
There used to be two [b]Bars/Dives[/b] in Boise named [b]Franky and Johnnys[/b], and the [b]Silver Dollar[/b]. Are they still there? While dissipating myself, in my misspent youth, I used to go to those two places.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Planewrench, got to the website...cool job.  Son & I are shooting tomorrow, any interest??

-hanko
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I think Tennesee would probably be best. Here in Idaho there are just too many "gun people" already. Now if you are a Democrat that's different, come on down, this state could use some cultural diversity but i will have have to warn you, even our Dems sound about like a republican any where else. Best part about it is we could double the number of democrats in this state and they still could'nt run for dog catcher and win. We do have restrictions like you can't carry weapons in the courthouse but i guess you have to give in a little, sometimes. I will bet Tenn. is every bit as good or better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll have to place my vote for eastern Tennessee. I live about an hour and a half out of Bristol and have to say that the Tri-Cities area (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) is great. According to what line of work you are trained and qualified for there are some pretty good jobs available in the area.

As for terrain, its still flat for another 30 minutes north, thats when you get into the steep ridges of the Appalachias.

If you want to do a job search you can use zip 24201 (Brisol, VA) and use an approximate 50 mile radius. These criteria will pull up openings at Lear, Teleflex, Eastman, Sprint, Exide, Bristol Compressors, Alcoa, Emats, King Pharmaceuticals, Glaxo-Smith-Cline, Mt. Home Veteran's Center, Holston Valley Medical Center, Net Access, and a lot more in the area.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
E. Tennessee, however, is great...the whole state for that matter!
View Quote

Will have to disagree with you here,Anywhere in TN except Memphis is pretty good. Memphis is a hell hole! I'm looking to leave in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh please not Idaho I already have enough new houses going up in all my old favorite stomping grounds. It seems like Idaho is just growing to fast for me and most of the real locals. The traffic on the hyways is worse than people will tell you and all the game animals has been shot by out of state hunters. But seriously it used to be a nice place before the 1990,s.
View Quote

What makes you think that Idaho is unique in this?  You just described virtually every state in the nation.  The population of the country continues to grow, and those people gotta live somewhere, and a certain percentage are going to move to wherever you live.

-Troy
View Quote

The problem with this Troy is that many comming here are ex-Califorinans!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you all very much for your replies.  This is very helpful, believe me!  

To provide more info for those of you who asked:  the new state will be home.  I will be living and working there.  My primary background is in legal assistant/paralegal work. I do have some real estate experience relating to mortgages and post-closing procedures. I'm proficient in all Microsoft Office applications and have experience maintaining and modifying webpages.

Then of course I have my military experience :D

MARVL - I would consider Montana or Wyoming, but based on my research so far, southern Idaho and E. Tenn are the top choices.  

Thanks again and please feel free to add more info.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]
You don't need a CCW here, you just carry open.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Having been to both areas (I've lived in Knoxville most of my life, and lived in Meridian, ID (just west of Boise) for a mere 30 days (vacation)) it really comes down to what you like. My fiance lived in Meridian for most of her life - until moving to Knoxville.

Short and simple: (Knoxville - 37919) Tennessee is green, hilly but not mountainous, humid, hot in summertime (mid to high 80s), cool in winter (maybe down below 30 for a few days), and the locals are generally friendly (esp. if you are). Business is dense in the city and surrounding areas - smooth decline in density as you go out from Knoxville.

(Meridian/Boise - 83642) Idaho is brown, flat (short drive to steep mountains), dry, hot in summertime (mid 100s), freezing in winter (sub 0), and locals were not quite as outgoingly friendly, but still very nice people. Business is fairly centered in Boise - outlying areas are more sparse (compared to Knoxville).
If you have some more specific questions, feel free to email me - I (or my finace) have lived in the two places you mentioned for a number of years.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in Burley Idaho. My last 36 holes have gone 35, 36, 37,37. Muhahahahaha.

I think it's cause I read the Book of Mormon before I went. muahahhahahahaa.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
And from what I learned elsewhere tonight, you can hunt foul with falcons in Idaho.

Outside of that, East Tennessee is the place you want to be. We have it ALL!

Great sports teams  
Beautiful mountains
Beautiful women
Shall issue carry (not just concealed either!)
Class III
Outstanding hunting, camping, fishing
White water rafting
Amusement parks (top that Idaho!)
Many shooting ranges or at least spots
New industry coming all the time
Great schools
Many parks, both State and National
Lakes, lakes, lakes
NASCAR
IRL
And, we are more like Texans in outlook than any others.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#30]
TN is also one of the last few states w/o a state income tax!

However, you do NOT want to move to East TN as you'll spend all of your money at Benton Shooter's Supply in Polk Co. They have in stock damn near any gun in production. They also have white water rafting there as well.

Good luck on your move to Idaho.  >gg<
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
However, you do NOT want to move to East TN as you'll spend all of your money at Benton Shooter's Supply in Polk Co. They have in stock damn near any gun in production.
View Quote

No shit! They've got some kick ass prices too. That place is almost as big as an old WalMart.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been eyeballing Idaho ever since I went to Wyoming last year.  I'd love to live either place or Montana.

I'm not sure if I could adapt to the winters up there though.

I don't know much about Tennessee but I've heard it's pretty.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Come on up! I'll take you to the mountains, we'll ride some go-carts, look at some women, watch the Vols beat someone and shoot a few thousand rounds. You'll just send for your stuff you'll love it here so much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Come on up! I'll take you to the mountains, we'll ride some go-carts, look at some women, watch the Vols beat someone and shoot a few thousand rounds. You'll just send for your stuff you'll love it here so much.
View Quote

LOL!  Thanks for the invite!
I'll file that away and take you up on it someday!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top