Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
There isn't a single person in this thread who could survive a 300 round firefight.

Buy enough to make yourself proficient.  Have enough to load out your three mag pouches.  If you find yourself alive after expending 300 rounds, congratulations, you earned a medal.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the average arfcom SHTF fantasy does not involve carrying 10 mags on their chest rig, hiking, doing Australian peels with a group, or really exerting a lot of energy at all.

I'd say it's closer to hiding behind the ammo bunker and picking off undesirables from a distance while your harem loads P-Mags for you, toppless.

Speed

Or, just having the ability to go shooting without burning an entire paycheck and watching dollar signs impact downrange.

Empty shelves and high prices means SHTF already has hit for some people.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you're on fire or drowning, there's no such thing as too much ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There isn't a single person in this thread who could survive a 300 round firefight.

Buy enough to make yourself proficient.  Have enough to load out your three mag pouches.  If you find yourself alive after expending 300 rounds, congratulations, you earned a medal.

Tall Talk
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there an accepted minimum for ammo on hand?

The question should be: Am I falling behind DHS in my purchases of ammunition.
If the answer is "Yes" you need more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
i've been recently focusing on .22 ammo, so far i've picked up around 4k with another 2,500 coming soon, i think .22's will be a staple caliber in SHTF and it's cheap to stockpile
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm down to my last brick of .22LR, and my local Wally World refuses to stock any . The LGS wants $30 for a brick of Federal.

Recently, my stash is looking more like that of a Fudd...probably enough for a range trip or so .
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Frankly this is very shortsighted.  If you enter into a firefight by yourself you will quickly be in trouble.  I have enough ammo to properly equip several fire teams for multiple engagements.  I also have the rifles, mags and family members to pass them out to.  More than that if things go south you would want enough ammo to train your friends/family with.  You might also want to supply a SAW or IAR.  Fire and maneuver takes alot of ammunition.

Am I likely to need that, no, but it never hurts to be the one with extra ammo.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the average arfcom SHTF fantasy does not involve carrying 10 mags on their chest rig, hiking, doing Australian peels with a group, or really exerting a lot of energy at all.

I'd say it's closer to hiding behind the ammo bunker and picking off undesirables from a distance while your harem loads P-Mags for you, toppless.

Speed

And making pizza rolls.  Don't forget the pizza rolls.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

You forgot samiches.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only time you can have too much ammo is if you're on fire or drowning.

/thread.

Edit: DAMMIT, 12 seconds.

More like an hour...look above a few posts...
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remember Scrooge McDuck and his money vault and how he used to swim in it..............THAT, but with ammo.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I remember folks here recommending 10 mags and at least 2k rounds stashed for each weapon you own
With the shift in prices over the last decade, I'd say most people probably have more many mags, and much less than 2k round per gun on hand now

Speed

I reached that goal just right before the election.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tall Talk

By and large true nonetheless.  We ask how much ammo or what stock has the best sex appeal.  It means nothing and probably won't help you accomplish a damn thing besides spending your money and making you feel good in the now.  The reality is 12,500 rounds is a lifetime or a 5-minute raid depending on the application.  Squad leaders in their early 20s can estimate burn rates and know what their subordinates need to bring out on a patrol, but civilian professionals with thousands of dollars in disposable income to buy their own ammo need to ask a bunch of other laypeople if their stash is sufficient.  Even assuming the knowledge is there, the distinction is that there is no clear picture of friendlies or enemies, so you can't plan logistics or fires.  Will I take contact daily or once in a lifetime?  Did my neighbors come with me and I'm feeding 12 weapons now?  What's our posture?  TTPs?  There's obviously no answer but it's asked anyway.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have too much.  Hey, I freely admit it.  I'm too damn old for SHTF.  I need my hot showers and good food and soft bed and medical care.  My knees are shot and I won't be any damn good going on "patrol".  That assumes I would even know how to patrol.

My ammo is for me to have fun with and lately I lost interest in shooting too.  I will probably be reducing ammo and guns in the future as they were a PITA to move this time and I don't ever plan to watch 6 movers try to manhandle a pallet with ammo onto a truck again.  

Having said that, I don't intend to ever be disarmed either.  So I'll keep some.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Imagine say you woke up one morning and a new law had been passed. Let's say that in the future all ammo purchases would have the same background check as buying a firearm. Let's also say that "large volume ammunition purchases" would be tracked and investigated by the state police, whatever "large volume" means. Let's also say for example that because literally no one was sure what exactly the law meant and the system it prescribed was not up and running yet local stores were unwilling to sell ammo for fear of being caught in violation of this new law and being made an example of.

You would be me when I got up this morning.

So I will advise you from a unique and very recent perspective. Prior to the boating accident, I honestly questioned if buying and storing all that ammo wasn't a little bit crazy. People who knew me and saw how often the UPS guy showed up to my house joked that they were going to put me on the "Hoarders" TV show.  If I still had that ammo or those icky guns I would consider myself brilliant for spending all that money on ammo and storing it away. If you told me just 30 days ago I would find myself under these conditions I would have never believed you.

Keep "a lifetime supply" on hand because you just don't know what the future will hold.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks Mr. Buzz Kill
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
When the weight of your ammo fort cracks the slab in your basement or garage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have to ask get more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Now?!

Damn, I no longer feel safe with what I've got....and I've got an ammo fort, dude.

I should have gotten into reloading back in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]
A little lite. Alot lite for TX
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When you think you have enough, buy more.

If you can find and afford it.

First post nails it again...............

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I read somewhere on this site that the answer to this, and many other questions, is 87.    
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Unless you're on fire or drowning, there's no such thing as too much ammunition.

Actually - there is.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Imagine say you woke up one morning and a new law had been passed. Let's say that in the future all ammo purchases would have the same background check as buying a firearm. Let's also say that "large volume ammunition purchases" would be tracked and investigated by the state police, whatever "large volume" means. Let's also say for example that because literally no one was sure what exactly the law meant and the system it prescribed was not up and running yet local stores were unwilling to sell ammo for fear of being caught in violation of this new law and being made an example of.

You would be me when I got up this morning.

So I will advise you from a unique and very recent perspective. Prior to the boating accident, I honestly questioned if buying and storing all that ammo wasn't a little bit crazy. People who knew me and saw how often the UPS guy showed up to my house joked that they were going to put me on the "Hoarders" TV show.  If I still had that ammo or those icky guns I would consider myself brilliant for spending all that money on ammo and storing it away. If you told me just 30 days ago I would find myself under these conditions I would have never believed you.

Keep "a lifetime supply" on hand because you just don't know what the future will hold.

Great post.

I will be feeding 8 AR's if the crap hits the fan hard enough to need the family to come together for protection. Does 1k per rifle sound extravagant? I have more than that and I am hoping they will bring their meager stashes. I have more than 20 mags a piece not counting those I hope them bring.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Mr. Buzz Kill

A little dose of reality is harsh, eh?

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Almost 60,000 fucking posts(mainly in GD I'd imagine) and OP asks this stupid fucking question.  This question comes up every fucking week for fucks sake.

i am going to report your post for being too true, too on-the-mark, and too on-point for GD.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Mr. Buzz Kill

A little dose of reality is harsh, eh?

Actually it makes no sense. He says (with a heavy dose of unnecessary and unearned condescension) to buy enough to make you proficient. Then load out your mag pouches. Who's to say how much makes you proficient? To maintain that proficiency?

How about maintaining that proficiency going forward, in case of an import ban, or stupid tax on ammo that makes it too expensive to shoot? His crystal ball is just as murky as mine is. If we have no ban or any bad legislation, yay. If we have something bad happen, i think we all will be glad to have what we have.

His post reeks of someone who has less than 300 rds in his stash and is mad because other people have more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
One more round than what you need.

How much do you need?  Up to you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#29]
all of it
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ammo equal to the expected life of the barrel. When ya run out, time to rebuild or buy a new rifle.

I like that rule of thumb. So about what 20-25k for a chrome lined barrel

Ive got my work cut out for me
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

By my count, I have about 12,500 rounds of center fire rifle ammo on hand. That primarily covers the three main calibers.

I have several thousand .22s and somewhere around 500-1,000 rounds of range ammo for each of my handgun calibers, plus a few hundred good hollow points for my handgun calibers.

I don't feel like I have prepared very well.

In a perfect world (mine a least) I'd like to have 10,000 rounds each for at least the 4 centerfire rifle calibers I use most. I'm there for a couple. All, I can say is I couldn't afford enough to really make me happy unless I got rid of the wife and kids.

Good news is if your house is ever raided and they find more than 100 rounds of anything or 2 or more mags, or more than one AR, it's a certainty you will be on the news being made to look like a freaking terrorist.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't have enough to overthrow a government but enough to take some SOB's with me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Infinity.  I will continue to buy a box of this and that every time I see it.  Build the fort a brick at a time.  This is a much different country than many of us grew up in.

If you would have told me 20 years ago that county sheriff's would be drawing a line in the sand and telling the president that they would not follow unconstitutional orders I would have told you to take the tin foil off your head.  If you would have told me that the president would be surrounded by children as he tries to destroy our right to keep and bear arms I would have said GTFO.

Who knows what tomorrow holds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#34]
All of it x 2
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Infinity.  I will continue to buy a box of this and that every time I see it.  Build the fort a brick at a time.  This is a much different country than many of us grew up in.

If you would have told me 20 years ago that county sheriff's would be drawing a line in the sand and telling the president that they would not follow unconstitutional orders I would have told you to take the tin foil off your head.  If you would have told me that the president would be surrounded by children as he tries to destroy our right to keep and bear arms I would have said GTFO.

Who knows what tomorrow holds.

ummm...20 years ago the President was surrounding himself with kids trying to destroy our RTKBA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#36]
No one ever wished they had less ammo in a firefight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Too much is not enough!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

How much did you use in your last firefight?

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nine wheelbarrows and a Homer bucket.  I regret leaving the second homer bucket at home as I didn't have enough room for all my spent loads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, there is no way I have "enough" ammo for each firearm that I have, other than .22lr.  For My AR's I only have about 350 rounds per gun right now
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
When your walls bow out and your floor joists start twisting.
When you have to kick loose rounds back in the house when you open a door.
When it starts turning up in the vacuum cleaner. And dishwasher. And Fido's lawn brownies.
When you have life alert pendants stashed everywhere in case of ammalanches and fear being buried alive.
When you start keeping your shades closed because that one time you saw blue dots for an hour and a half due to the extremely bright glare off the piles of shining brass....

Then you have a decent start.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#42]
When Widener's has to order from me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

By my count, I have about 12,500 rounds of center fire rifle ammo on hand. That primarily covers the three main calibers.

I have several thousand .22s and somewhere around 500-1,000 rounds of range ammo for each of my handgun calibers, plus a few hundred good hollow points for my handgun calibers.

I don't feel like I have prepared very well.

I feel like a failure now.
2.5k .223
2k 9mm
1k 45

Buying more as I can afford it/find it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#44]
figure out if you are willing to go on the offensive, or stay on the defensive.

if you are going offensive, than you probably do not have enough, if you are going to stay on the defensive, then about 500 rounds is enough.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Depends on how much you shoot.

If you shoot 300 rounds a week, probably more then the person who has only safe queens.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#46]
If I can't load it into my truck and take it all with me......it's too much, (for me)
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nine wheelbarrows and a Homer bucket.  I regret leaving the second homer bucket at home as I didn't have enough room for all my spent loads.

See your future.  Be your future.

Tactical wheelbarrows are very 1990s.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Keep buying.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/segwaycommandos.jpg

Hmmm...what's the towing capacity on those?  Do they have aftermarket bucket hooks or even a factory option?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/segwaycommandos.jpg

Hmmm...what's the towing capacity on those?  Do they have aftermarket bucket hooks or even a factory option?

HeavySix uses one.  Tapco makes a full line of accessories for them.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top