Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:02:02 PM EDT
I live in a HOA made up of 5 50 acre ranches. My closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away across a draw. Neighbor says blast away, Sheriff says its legal, HOA rules say its a no-go.

What's the worst that could happen?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll get arrested plain and simple. One of you neighbors will shoot their own house, then say a say stray bullet from your "range" hit their house. All of your guns will be confiscated. It happened to a member on this site up in PA.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
DELETED

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on if anyone actually tries to enforce the covenants.  In a neighborhood of 5, I'd guess they are never enforced.  But you agreed to the rules when you purchased.  Abide by them or change them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You'll get arrested plain and simple. One of you neighbors will shoot their own house, then say a say stray bullet from your "range" hit their house. All of your guns will be confiscated. It happened to a member on this site up in PA.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a HOA made up of 5 homes?
Sounds like you need 3 votes, & you already have 2.
Get another neighbor on board, then take over the HOA & make your own rules.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live in a HOA made up of 5 50 acre ranches. My closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away across a draw. Neighbor says blast away, Sheriff says its legal, HOA rules say its a no-go.

Your HOA rules do not likely say,"its a no-go". What exactly do they say? What state are you in?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
if it's only 5 houses, change the HOA rules to allow it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a HOA made up of 5 homes?
Sounds like you need 3 votes, & you already have 2.
Get another neighbor on board, then take over the HOA & make your own rules.

Mutiny!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Read the bylaws.  They eithe provide a penalty for violations or they don't.  I bet you get several written warnings before a fine can be issued.  Most of the HOA/Condo rules I have ever seen have no teeth.  The last one I saw had a $25 fine per violation following the third written warning.  So, even if they fined you $25 for each day you shoot on your land, it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your HOA rules do not likely say,"its a no-go". What exactly do they say? What state are you in?

"Discharging, or shooting of firearms shall be deemed prohibited"

Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Your first mistake was buying into an HOA.

You're bound by the rules plain and simple.   If you're lucky, the penalties are small fines.   Worst case scenario (depending on the HOA contract) is that you can literally be evicted from your own home.

Hopefully, with the rural and small nature of your HOA it's much less draconian.  Short of it is you need to review the HOA contract and see what the procedure is (and the consequences).  

We all know inviting the Man into your life in any capacity is almost always a bad idea...  I've never understood why so many people think giving the old retired folks in their neighborhoods enforceable control over their homes, yards and activities was ever thought to be a good idea?

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

truth

solution is to buy silencers

and to not live on a HOA.

HOA are for little bratty bitch neighborhoods where everyone lives on top of each other.   not for 50 acre gentleman ranches
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Yes!
i remember that episode

great stuff
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Discharging, or shooting of firearms shall be deemed prohibited"

Colorado.

Have an HOA meeting at the fanciest restaurant around, on your dime. Sniff around for another pro-gun owner and politely change the rules to "belt fed bursts shall not exceed 3 hours uninterrupted".
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
You live on 50 acres and have a HOA?

WTF, over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Depending on the rules outlined in the covenants of your HOA and the laws in your state... they might fine you, and if you don't pay the fine, they might take your house.

HOA laws in NC are pretty fucked.

ETA: If the five lots in the HOA are the whole tract of land covered by the HOA, maybe look through the covenants, then go around to your neighbors and see if they want to dissolve it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no idea why people tolerate this HOA crap

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]
And this is why I will not buy a home until I find one I like, away from others, with no HOA.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WTF, over.

Yep.

Municipal water, and a combo gate are nice though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Does your sheriff enforce HOA rules?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Does your sheriff enforce HOA rules?

Wouldn't think so...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
You need to take over the HOA board then draft a "constitution" , bestowing upon each homeowner certain god-given and inalienable rights. That should protect you for the forseeable future, just like it's worked here. Oh well, at least you should be GTG for about 200 yrs or so....
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 5.5 acreas in a subdivision. No HOMO but it says not to shoot on your property.
Just about everyone shoots.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#27]
50 acres??? Wasnt you shooting...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF, over.

Yep.

Municipal water, and a combo gate are nice though.

Drilling a well ain't that expensive.  Neither is putting up your own gate.

I have 500 acres, both municipal AND well water, and a remote activated gate.  And the piece of mind that I can tell anyone to F-- off if they don't like what I am doing on my property.  This includes running naked through the yard while howling at the moon.

Sell the property, and choose wisely in your replacement.  I'm serious.

If it isn't THIS issue, it WILL be another one in the future.

Edited to add:

Another option that has been touched on here:  Get one more vote, get the board, and disband the HOA NOW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top