Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2002 8:14:10 AM EDT
Delaware police compile database of future suspects
Associated Press
WILMINGTON, Del. -- Police in Delaware are trying to get a head-start on cracking crimes before they happen by setting up a database that contains a list of people who officers believe are likely to break the law.

Defense attorneys and the American Civil Liberties Union oppose the database, which lists names, addresses and photographs of the potential suspects -- many of whom have clean slates.

The precise grounds for putting a person on the list aren't clear. But since the system was introduced in Wilmington in June, most of the 200 people included in the file have been minorities from poor, high-crime neighborhoods.

State and federal prosecutors say the tactic is legal, but defense lawyers object to the practice.

"We should enforce the existing laws, but not violate them, to catch the bad guys," said Theo Gregory, City Councilman and public defender. "We've become the bad guys, and that's not right."

Mayor James Baker called the criticism "asinine and intellectually bankrupt."

"I don't care what anyone but a court of law thinks," he said. "Until a court says otherwise, if I say it's constitutional, it's constitutional."

The pictures are being taken by two Wilmington police squads created in June to arrest drug dealers. The units are known in some neighborhoods as "jump-out squads" because they jump out of cars and make quick arrests.

Many of the people whose photos have been taken for the file were stopped briefly for loitering and let go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
This concerns me and it should everybody....

BTT

was going to post it myself
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I like this line:

"I don't care what anyone but a court of law thinks," he said. "Until a court says otherwise, if I say it's constitutional, it's constitutional."
View Quote

Seems to be the prevailing attitude with these govt. snakes at every level.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]Mayor James Baker called the criticism "asinine and intellectually bankrupt."

"I don't care what anyone but a court of law thinks," he said. "Until a court says otherwise, if I say it's constitutional, it's constitutional." [/b]

This guy is a fucking Idiot !!!!  and typical of above the holier than thou elitist politician attitude.

Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit. I had one of those novelty mugshots taken when I was younger... Quite possibly a fat and glasses-wearing me on that list...
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't Tom Cruise just did a movie about something like this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mayor James Baker called the criticism "asinine and intellectually bankrupt."

View Quote

Statements like these in defense of draconian tactics by the Delaware PD are the reasons why we revolted against England. This is scary stuff....
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Well...another reason to get out of this state I guess...
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Time to feed the hogs....
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Time to feed the hogs....
View Quote

After the first one, the rest are free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Stupid Question ---> What does JBT stand for?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stupid Question ---> What does JBT stand for?
View Quote

Jack-Booted-Thug
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#12]

So then, using their logic, they should just lock up these future suspects now and prevent crimes in the future.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, [size=3][b]nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;[/b][/size=3] nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[/qoute]

This "watch list" is most certainly unconstitutional. The minute they detain you solely because your name was on this list, you have been deprived of your LIBERTY.

Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Didn't Tom Cruise just did a movie about something like this?
View Quote

Didn't see the .mov but I think that's basically what the plot is.  They arrest him for a crime that he commits in the future.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT

( Bump To Top ) [;)]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd be more than happy to give them my pic.

[img]http://www.theplainjane.com/flip_off/some_guy_flipoff.jpg[/img]

(not actually me, but you get the point)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top