Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2012 6:59:20 PM EDT
My wife is wanting a dog, and she fell in love with a corgi at the pound. What can arfcom tell me about this breed?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Hearding dog fit for a Queen

Wallace Footrot Cadwalleder does not approve of Corgis
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
cute stubby fuckers
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The more I read on this dog the more I think I will like them. Any weird temperament problems I should know about
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]

That's not a real dog that's a cartoon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Police hate corgi dogs.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
corgi

Thank you for the link, but I have already read that. I was just looking for some additional info that might not have been covered by wiki.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
A family friend has a Corgi. Not sure of the proper name but it is one of the ones that has a black, tan and white coat with black being the dominant color.

It's a smart dog but very bossy, as in it likes to yap a lot when it is not getting its way. It is not fond of kids either and I've seen it nip at their legs. The owner doesn't have kids so you could argue that the dog is just not used to them. I took care of it two weeks last summer when the owner was on vacation. I had no problems with it and it loved to play fetch in the yard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A family friend has a Corgi. Not sure of the proper name but it is one of the ones that has a black, tan and white coat with black being the dominant color.

It's a smart dog but very bossy, as in it likes to yap a lot when it is not getting its way. It is not fond of kids either and I've seen it nip at their legs. The owner doesn't have kids so you could argue that the dog is just not used to them. I took care of it two weeks last summer when the owner was on vacation. I had no problems with it and it loved to play fetch in the yard.

Thank you for this. We plan to go play with the dog soon. So we will watch for nipping around the kids.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Aunt has one,  really good dog.  Very smart,  no anger issues or anything like that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I think my friend's dog is just not used to kids. It is an older dog, I'm not sure how old but I'd put its age around 7 or 8 and it has not been around children except for the odd holiday when the owner's relatives came over.

I've never really seen a dog that wasn't raised around kids NOT like kids.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
My family had a corgi when I was younger, and my parents have another one now.  If they're used to kids, they're great family dogs.  They ARE herding animals, so they may try to herd rowdy groups of kids, and there may be some ankle nips.  It's herding behavior, not aggression.

They're great dogs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It's like a cat trapped in a really gay looking dogs body.I hope that helps.ETA..j/k.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
My sister has had 3 corgis.  I think they're pretty sweet dogs.  One of hers was kind of annoying because it always wanted to play catch. It would bring a ball, put it at your feet and bark like "Come on, let's play!".  But the other two were chill.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Between family and friends I have known 9 Corgis.  They are
very intelligent and can be trained to do just about anything.  Also
they shed like it's a job.  Very loyal, sweet pups though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you all for the info. Sounds like it will make a good family dog then.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly,I don't think I've ever seen a corgi that wasn't a cool dog,always happy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One thing to be forewarned about: they are SMART, and they're a working dog.  They need something to do to keep them busy.  If they don't have something, they'll start to get neurotic about things like doorbells, etc... or they'll find something to do.  Which can sometimes be worse.

Lots of exercise and a task / role in the household goes a long way in helping, much the same for any high-energy working breed like huskies, Aussie shepherds, and the like.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Legs move 100 mph body about 3
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I dogsat a Corgi many years ago. It was an absolute joy.

If I ever get a dog, a Corgi will be at the top of the list.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 2 year old Corgi, great dog but not the kind of dog to sit in the house all day.
The Wife walks him when she gets home then i play with him for about an hour when i get home, and he still has energy.

Damn smart dogs, learns tricks pretty fast.
Bossy and can be stubborn.
But they have more personality then any dog i have owned.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Queen of England has one.  My family has one, and we had one before the one we have now.  They make great pets and are great with kids.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

MIL paid $400 for a Corgi pup a few years ago.  I hate that damn thing.  Yaps at everything,  sheds everywhere,  scared of any noise, and constantly has shit all over it's ass.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's not a real dog that's a cartoon.

That is Ein.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
snip.... It is not fond of kids either and I've seen it nip at their legs. ...snip.

That is kid friendly, the dog is just herding them for you. keeping them from wandering off.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a 9 month old Corgi named Gadget. She is a terrorist.
Bossy, stubborn, back talks, anti-gun (goes into hysterics when she sees mine), and chews EVERYTHING.
But they are clown dogs and she does stuff that makes me laugh my ass off. They are very loyal and when not going all jihad, very loving.
Only real gripe with mine is the chewing and she has terrible anxiety over certain noises (blinds opening/closing, plugging things into the wall, my electric razor, etc.).
Oh, they like to feel like they have a job to do so expect LOTS of barking when strangers enter their "territory". Mine has decided that her territory is every inch of the apt complex outside our window lol. Just be patient with them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The one I had lived for two things, popcorn and giving himself rimjobs.....maybe mine was just a dud.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Had an orange and white male corgi for a few years and it was one of the coolest dogs we have had, really nice and never had any anger issues. He was always happy and very friendly, I dont think I heard him bark but a very small handful of times either. Died of cancer a little while back, his name was Shorty.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Hateful dog.

When I rise to power, they will be scrubbed from the earth and all those who protest will be sterilized, unless they piss me off... then those people will be made an example after they have been sterilized.

fuck those worthless biting POS and their owners who think they are children and get pissed off when you squirt the fucking biter with a garden hose or shoot at it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Very strong herding instinct. You'll be standing around chatting with your guests at a party, when suddenly you'll realize you're all clustered in the middle of the room.

They have short legs, but those fuckers can RUN...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]
< Murray checking in.

Great dog.

Built like a German Shepard with short legs.

Sheds like you would not believe.

We can sweep up another corgi worth of hair every week.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Two cute Corgi vids:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my first Corgi when I was 5 or 6 and a kid couldn't ask for a better dog, he was extremely smart and loyal.  Loved to herd cows, goats, and sheep and never really barked except when cars pulled in the drive way.  I've also had two other Corgis (offspring of my first one) and they were both great dogs too.  From my experience Corgis think they are big dogs but come in a lap dog size package.  They're the only small dog I would ever own
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Have one.

Would not have any other dog.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I have 3 corgis. They are by far the best dogs I have ever owned but I also own an Anatoli/Rotti mix he is a big dumb lovable bastard. But back on the Corgis, our male is very Alpha male the females are pretty chilled.They love kids and our male loves to swim! No Shit! funny as hell! As someone has stated they are herding dogs so he will bite ankles when someone runs but he thinks you are playing. They are very emotional and loyal as well. I was sick with a wicked flu and i could not get rid of them to save my life , they were stuck to me like glue! there are two types of Corgi the Pembroke Welsh which is what I own they do not have tails and then there is the Cartigain(spelling?) and they have a tail. Mine vary in color. I have a red and white and brown and white and my male is what is called a tri colored ( black-white-tan) he would be a great show dog except the AKC NAZI's say because of a small dot of white on the top of his head he is not show quality. Fuck them! They are all AKC though. Things to watch for in your puppy, over bites, back legs being pigeon toed and look at both parents one of my females has more of a foxy look meaning she long in the back, which could caus problems later as they get older.Over all they are fun as hell, crate train really easy and fast. So get a couple! PM me if you have anymore questions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#37]
News reports indicate they don't fare well if they start shit with bull terriers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had 2 Pembrokes...Loved them both but they both lost the use of their rear legs right around age 12 (different breeders) Vet said they weren't in pain so I carried them around alot when they got older. Put one down a few years ago....the other one will get put down soon
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#39]
sheds pretty bad?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#40]
My 7 year old Corgi named Pedals

Smartest dog I've ever owned.  I've trained her to do all sorts of tricks.

She knows over 20 commands and including peeing/pooping on command.  I also use hand signals for her and I am able to walk her off leash.  She is also trained to not leave our property when outside.  She will literally sit on the edge of the driveway and people watch without going into the street.

Corgis shed year round so expect to vacuum and get used to the motto of "corgi hair goes with everything."  Also they need a lot of exercise (daily walks) otherwise they get fat really easily then you'll have to deal with health problems due to weight when they are older.  They will nip due to their herding instinct but you can train them to stop this.

Ours is well mannered due to training and she is always listening and waiting for instructions.  You need to be an alpha in the pack otherwise the dog will run all over you.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]
The other type of Corgi is Cardigan. I'd have one if I could have a dog in my place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#42]
We've got a Cardigan, rough coat.  Has the tail.

Corgis are a little bossy; they like to get their way.

Fantastic dogs;  you'll love them.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hateful dog.

When I rise to power, they will be scrubbed from the earth and all those who protest will be sterilized, unless they piss me off... then those people will be made an example after they have been sterilized.

fuck those worthless biting POS and their owners who think they are children and get pissed off when you squirt the fucking biter with a garden hose or shoot at it.

I like your style...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The more I read on this dog the more I think I will like them. Any weird temperament problems I should know about

The only real temperament issue is that they will herd you.  To the dish at feeding time (not good for free food access as they fatten up like pot bellied pigs), to the door when you take them for a walk.  Really smart dogs, great companions.  Shyness is a breed fault, so when on the leash or out with you they've never met someone they wouldn't potentially like.  Behind a closed door, they sound like a bigger dog, so the friendliness isn't an issue.  Best breed I've ever owned.  Mine is 8 now.  Got her in Alabama, when she was two I realized I wanted to breed them.  Wound up with two breeding pairs, and always a favored pup from each litter that I gave to a trusted friend rather than sell.  Got out of breeding because I realized I'd wind up with a Queen's herd of Corgis.  I can't say enough about how good they are as a house dog.  Great companion.  Easy to train like any smart dog, but you need to be consistent and start young.  
Might not be as imposing as a bigger dog, but they make up for it in personality.  Good with other house pets like cats, good with children.  I don't think you can go wrong with a corgi.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#45]
High maintanence(sp) unpredictable shitheads with a built in mean streak.
May as well be a cross between a pitbull, chiwawa(sp) and a constantly sick mutt that nobody loves but your local veteranarian.

My ex had to have one. The dog was gone before she was.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's nipping at the kids legs because it's trying to herd.  They are heelers when herding.  Mine doesn't herd children though, it's learned that that is not acceptable.  She doesn't heel me either, just herds by running around and barking.  I let her express her instinct that way.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#47]
They are definitely a dog that will attempt to hold a conversation with you.  Those of you that own one know what I'm talking about.

Great dogs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#48]
We have a large book of dog breeds. The Corgi is the only breed mentioned to do better when kept as a brace (a pair). No idea why or how important that is though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a 2 year old Corgi, great dog but not the kind of dog to sit in the house all day.
The Wife walks him when she gets home then i play with him for about an hour when i get home, and he still has energy.

Damn smart dogs, learns tricks pretty fast.
Bossy and can be stubborn.
But they have more personality then any dog i have owned.

Mine does well in the house all day, she basically guards the bed.  Just needs a quick walk in the morning, and some deadicated walk / play time in the evening at 8 years of age.  She needed more activity when she was younger, but it starts to taper off at 5 or 6 years.  Mine was always good alone though,  once when she was about 4 years old, I had to leave home for 28 hours.  I put her up on the bed she couldn't get on by herself, she was still there with no mess when I got back.  Only time I did that though.  When I lived in TX, she spent a lot of 13 hour stretches while I was covering long work days for a plant on 12 hour shifts, also no issues.  She was 6 at that point.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's a few of my family's corgi "Shelly" named after Urban Meyer's wife.

1 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

2 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

3 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top