Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 12:08:57 PM EDT
Who makes the best mattresses in the $500 range for a queen size?

I need the mattress and box spring

Where do I get the best deal?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Costco has Bed-in-a-box in Queen for $499.  12'' combination gel over egg crate foam and foam. We went with the gel topper only because we already had a foam mattress. After 6 years it's just a little too dense but the gel on top really made a big difference.  You can use any cheapo box spring or none at all. Just cut some plywood and keep it low.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordered a mattress online from this place a month or so ago:
US Mattress

First time I ever ordered a mattress online.  Everything went very smooth.  Takes a couple weeks because it's built when you order it.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck.
First off nobody can tell you what's the best mattress for you as there is firm, plush, ultra plush, etc. and everyones idea of comfort and support is different.
Second no mattress store will have the same mattress by name. They change them so you can't shop prices. You are better off going to a few stores and tring them out yourself make a list of what you like and where and buy the one you feel is the most comfortable for you in your price range. I went thru ths a few years ago and almost went crazy. I finally said f it and picked a store with a salesman I felt comfortable and stayed until I tried every mattress and found one I like.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, thats been pretty much my experience
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Very pleased with stuff from Denver Mattress.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you at in PA?

Speed
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Sleep Number is the only mattress I can sleep on anymore.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Where are you at in PA?

Speed

I was just going to suggest he go see you.
OP, go see him.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you at in PA?

Speed

I was just going to suggest he go see you.
OP, go see him.

Lol, well, not if he's 100 miles away

I was asking so I could recommend a dealer close to him.

Speed

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where are you at in PA?

Speed

In a van

down by the river

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
After 32 years of marriage and many matresses we stumbled on the best (for us) that we have ever found - IKEA foam - it rocks, takes a beating (trust me) and the cover zips off if you want to wash it.  You need a good boxspring but the matress is awesome

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/10629/
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Subscribing to this for the knowledge that will hopefully be thrown around. The wife and I will be in the market for a new one sometime soon.
She is dead set on a sleep number but I think it is more hype than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Original Mattress Factory. They were at or near the top in a recent issue of consumer reports.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Avoid Simmons Beautyrest.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I absolutly love my Temperpedic ergo bed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Speed is the man when it comes to this. He helped me when the local guy was less than knowledgeable. Sleeping good now. Not really but is comfortable.

This is what i ended up getting and is near your price range.

Bed
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#17]
DO NOT! Go cheap on a mattress! You spend 1/3 of your life on it. Get a serta icomfort
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who makes the best mattresses in the $500 range for a queen size?

I need the mattress and box spring

Where do I get the best deal?

Thanks

Btw 500 for Matt and box is almost impossible
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Avoid Simmons Beautyrest.

We sell Simmons, Tempurpedic and Englander.

I've seen mattress failures from all three.

Simmons' failure rate is no worse than the others.

OP, the questions you need to ask:

Comfort exchange?  What if I get the mattress home and after three nights decide it's not the mattress for me?  Can I exchange for a different model?  Does it cost me money to exchange, or do I get full credit for the money I've spent?  Or is this is a "it's in your house, it's yours forever" kind of deal?  A reputable dealer will usually give you at least a week to comfort exchange the mattress without a restocking fee.

Warranty?  Pro-rated or not?  Exactly what qualifies as a warranty failure?

Tempurpedic offers 90 days, though you have to keep it for 30 days and you have to pay return shipping.  Tempurpedic is not $500, so don't worry about it any more.

$500 for a queen mattress & box spring is not going to get you top shelf stuff.

If you happen to end up at a Simmons dealer, you should look at M11582.70.xxxx - that's a medium-ish kind of mattress that we sell for $599/set (queen) and occasionally have on sale for $499/set.  It's got a 10 year warranty (not pro-rated) so if you get a broken spring or a lasting body impression of >1.5" you should be able to get your full purchase price in credit toward a replacement.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you at in PA?

Speed

In a van

down by the river

You'll pick it up then?  No delivery needed.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you at in PA?

Speed

In a van

down by the river

You'll pick it up then?  No delivery needed.  

Lol, I know it's come up before, but I can't remember where OP is at in Pa.

Anyway, it's certainly not my intention to try and make OP feel obligated to come to my store. I don't sell online, and arfcom is where I hang out all day at work

You can find something decent for $500 in a queen set, but you'll have to poke around.

I sell a 2 sided plush set, 460, 13ga coil spring set, foam encased for $499 in queen (includes box).

I also sell a 2 sided firm set w/ a 390, 12.75 coil spring set (thicker coils), not foam encased, for $499 a queen set (both pieces).

Neither of them use any junk fillers like polyester fiber or lightweight foam like you'll find in most stuff in that price range and they are "flippable".

They are both decent beds, but you're probably not going to get 20 years out of them The more expensive beds will use denser foam and/or memory and latex foams in the comfort layers which will hold up longer.

Original Mattress Factory should have something similar in quality to that firm set, but it will cost more. They have much more overhead than a small guy.

Other than that, you might find some other local guys with decent smaller, or "boutique" brands, but generally speaking, all the stuff from the big names in that price range is going to be one sided and have cheap fillers that will crush and leave body impressions.

Hope that helps,

Speed

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Speed were are you located at in Pa?
We will be looking to get a new mattress Jan or February I'm south of Pittsburgh.  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sleep Number is the only mattress I can sleep on anymore.

good for sleeping on alone. no spooning or other activities with the great barrier reef like thing that goes down the middle
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Here.  I've had mine for about a year, and it has held up well and is head and shoulders above any box spring and mattress that I've slept on.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#25]

I'd go with a cheap mattress and memory foam pad from Walmart. Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Probably the cheapest too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll say the same thing I always do:

Sleep Innovations 10" Queen @ Amazon

Best $370 I ever spent.  Had it a year and a half now, and still lovin' it...  I went to the sister's up in the high country for Xmas, and dang, I missed my mattress.  Took a loooong and blissful nap when I got home.  Dream great on this  mattress, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top