Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 8:27:50 AM EDT
I watched Stargate:Continuum the other day on Science channel and later found it went straight to DVD.  Why?  It was well-written, had good fx, all the characters from the tv series; wouldn't it have made money at the theaters as well as sold well on DVD?

Isn't SG more popular than Firefly?  Am I gonna get raped for that?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Indeed it is.

3 TV Series accounting for 17 seasons of TV shows along and three movies.

Firefly on the other hand...did well on DVD.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#2]
they released one movie I think in theaters it started the series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111282/

it had kurt russell

not the greatest turn out besides most movies on the SCI FI channel are there for a reason......
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The ending of the last season kinda sucks, it was like no one had a clue as to how to make it happen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The core audience wont fit in the chairs at the theater.   Besides, our screens at home are almost as big as at the movies, and the seating and food is mo betta.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
My girl eats that caramel coated shit up.  Basicly a chick flick featuring the most popular chick flick actor of all  time mcgyver.   She wanterd a p-90 last year.  I explained the logistics of the 5.7 and said no.  Thisyear its  "all anyone needs is a pump shotgun"
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
SG had a few movies that aired once then went to dvd.  not cuz they were bad; just cuz that the release cycle
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Stargate kinda burned itself out with more and more watered-down versions of itself.

Stargate Universe had some interesting characters but the story line seemed cobbled together.

17 years of Stargate is obviously more popular than roughly 17 episodes of Firefly...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The ending of the last season kinda sucks, it was like no one had a clue as to how to make it happen.

they were suppose to make a movie to solve that but funding went to other shows like "warehouse 13" "eureka" "face-off" "scare tactics" prrtty much the retarded shows
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My girl eats that caramel coated shit up.  Basicly a chick flick featuring the most popular chick flick actor of all  time mcgyver.   She wanterd a p-90 last year.  I explained the logistics of the 5.7 and said no.  Thisyear its  "all anyone needs is a pump shotgun"

Are the logistics of a P90 bad?

Sounds like you talked yourself out of a gun. Smooth move!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Stargate kinda burned itself out with more and more watered-down versions of itself.

Stargate Universe had some interesting characters but the story line seemed cobbled together.

17 years of Stargate is obviously more popular than roughly 17 episodes of Firefly...

SG benefited from starting out as a pretty good movie then being a series made by Showtime.  this allowed it to build up a good audience early...exactly the opposite of what Fox did to Firefly

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
The SG1 movies didn't feel like movies, but more like 2 hour long episodes.

The problem with that, is that if you aren't a fan of the series, you'll be pretty lost as to what was happening on screen. This seems to be the problem with TV shows made into movies, Star Trek and X-Files for example.

I was hoping the Stargate SG1 movies would be more like "Star Trek: First Contact". A stand alone story, that didn't require viewers to know anything about the lore of the series.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the logistics of a P90 bad?    

Sounds like you talked yourself out of a gun. Smooth move!

Considering the nature of the 5.7 he was lucky he could worm his way out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Good series, watching the original movie right now...

SG1 was good until the stupid ass Ori
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted for truth, one of the worst scifi group of enemies ever created.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Stargate Neverending
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4 What a bunch of uninspiring brown pounders.  K-rist sake Ori

I have the whole series on dvd.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I stopped watching when that story arc come into play. I liked the first few seasons where the Goa'ould threat was constant but there were other story lines interjected. That and a realtime sense of character growth. I started on atlantis, but deloyments never really allowed me to keep up. I watched the first episode of SGU and said fuck it, they ruined the whole thing for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Indeed it is.  

3 TV Series accounting for 17 seasons of TV shows along and three movies.

Firefly on the other hand...did well on DVD.

Firefly was almost deliberately killed by Fox.

Stargate was a great show and I'd definitely watch more. I'd really like to see the Syfy channel go back to SCIENCE fiction shows rather than wrestling and wizards. I'm encouraged by the trend in streaming video. It allows networks like Syfy to tailor programs to the long tail in the market and get real, relevant feedback as far as what viewers actually like. BSG: Blood and Chrome is an example of them dipping their toe in this medium. I think if things work well and the fans support the good shows, we may see a lot better programming soon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they were suppose to make a movie to solve that but funding went to other shows like "warehouse 13" "eureka" "face-off" "scare tactics" prrtty much the retarded shows
Plus the studio that was making SG went tits up.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The found out mid-season that they were not going to have an 11th season, which I think was intended to be the last season.  So they had to come up with something quick; they used the movie Ark of Truth to finish off the story arc from seasons 9 and 10.

Personally I think both SG-1 and Atlantis would have ended much better had each had an additional season.

SGU was getting quite interesting when it was cancelled.  Really disappointed that it didn't get renewed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top