Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 7:59:10 AM EDT
My friend has one and the front sight somehow lost the little white bit that sits in it.

Now this is a factory model & while I suppose I could send itto them for free, I'd rather see about just replacing them with a nice night sight as a surprise.

Do I need a gunsmith to do this? What is a good rate/type?

My friend doesn't shoot this model much, just uses it as a bed side gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's just paint missing you can degrease it and put a drop of  typewriter white out in it. dries fast, stands out, and is pretty durable.
if you want to replace the whole sight, this video can help.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT:SV%2FHeinie+Front+Sights
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to replace the front sight, you'll need to know if it's dovetailed, or staked.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you want to replace the front sight, you'll need to know if it's dovetailed, or staked.

This
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
And I lean that where?

Doesn't appear to have any pins in it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You can add a dab or white paint to the sight with a toothpick to hold you over until the sights are changed.
Visit novak's site to give you an idea of what the cost of a new sight will be.
They have pictures and price lists for both staked and dovetailed.

I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd hotlink for you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And I lean that where?

Doesn't appear to have any pins in it.

If you cant see the dovetail on the slide, its staked..you can do it yourself but you need a tool to do it with.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
This is dovetailed.

This is staked.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Dove tailed then.

Gunsmith qouted me $40 plus the cost of the sites.

This was sight unseen though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This was sight unseen though.

He knows what he's getting into and probably has a fixed price for the service.
The last time I dropped off a pistol to have the sights changed, the gunsmith was even in the store, and they still told me what he charged for the service.
The only thing thing they wanted to know from me was that I had the correct sights for the pistol.

If he has to do anything extra, I'd assume he'd contact you.
I took my XD to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain. He broke his sight pusher, and had to send my pistol out to have the front sight milled off. He didn't charge me anything extra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top