Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 5:38:07 AM EDT
I am going to go look for this answer...

I am curious when and where the first gun Law was written and if any of the founding fathers was alive and to see if they had a commentary about it..

if you know the answer please post it as well...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The first gun control laws were written in Colonial New England in the 1600's.

They delt with selling firearms to Indians or other folks.

And also prohibited things like, firing guns in town (Mass/CT etc.. had laws that you were not permitted to fire a gun near town unless you were lost or were killing a wolf).

Most metropolitan centers had gun control laws in the 19th century, but if you knew someone or the authorities failed to keep up on it (frequently), you were all right.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
1813 In Kentucky a law that was later struck down against concealed carry...I think
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

And also prohibited things like, firing guns in town (Mass/CT etc.. had laws that you were not permitted to fire a gun near town unless you were lost or were killing a wolf).

Most metropolitan centers had gun control laws in the 19th century, but if you knew someone or the authorities failed to keep up on it (frequently), you were all right.

I am talking about in the U.S. by a U.S. Governing body...after the 2nd amendment was written

sorry for not clarifying
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
When the US bought Lousisiana in 1803, they acquired the French arms control laws that had been passed in 1751. Carrying of arms of any sort has been prohibited in Louisiana continuously for 262 years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
1640, in Virginia.

it forbade slaves and former slaves from possessing
"armes".
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am talking about in the U.S. by a U.S. Governing body...after the 2nd amendment was written

sorry for not clarifying

The gun laws in place when the 2nd Amendment was ratified are the most germane to the discussion.

And there were several.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When the US bought Lousisiana in 1803, they acquired the French arms control laws that had been passed in 1751. Carrying of arms of any sort has been prohibited in Louisiana continuously for 262 years.

i don't understand.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The guarantees in the Bill of Rights did not operate to restrict the states until the 14th Amendment was ratified and the courts had deemed those guarantees "incorporated".
Those who drafted the Constitution would have understood that a state or local law could not violate the Federal Constitution and would have concerned themselves with the question of whether the law violated the state constitution.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry for not clarifying

The gun laws in place when the 2nd Amendment was ratified are the most germane to the discussion.

And there were several.

The goddam Germans got nothin' to do with it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry for not clarifying

And there were several.

where do I need to go to read more about this?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, not so much.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry for not clarifying

And there were several.

where do I need to go to read more about this?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Founders-Second-Amendment-Origins/dp/1566637929
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't understand.

I think he is confusing the Black Laws of 1751 with something else.  Per laws enacted then, slaves carrying arms could be beaten by any non-slave, and shot if they attempted to flee the beating.  A few years later it was changed, and even free people of color were barred from carrying arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top