Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:55:36 PM EDT

At my parents place, diagonally across the street, lived a single elderly lady who has no family left and has lived in her house since it was built in the late 70s.  In the 80s and early 90s we had no issues with her.  But in the early 2000s she started to change.  First she would call the county on any thing she didn't like about other peoples property.  Second when you would bump into her when she was walking her dog she would talk to you about off the wall subjects and didn't really make any sense at times.  It got the point if I saw her coming down the street I would avoid her.

About 3 years ago it started to get worse.  She erected a 6 foot razor wire fence (yes just like the prisons have) around her yard complete with flood lights.  She claimed men were climbing into here back yard spying on her.  She also would acuse the neighbors of building on her property.  Structures that have stood there for 20 years she claimed were moved onto her land.  She accused the neighbor that lives across the street from my parents place of moving their drive way onto her property (it has never moved). That neighbor actually had a survey crew from the county come out and prove it to her.  Didn't stop her from accusing them weekly.

About 1 year ago it go really bad.  She would walk into peoples back yards and stuff to talk about off the wall subjects as previously mentioned.  It reached a stopping point when she went inside our across the street neighbors house in the middle of the night when the entire family was sleeping and accused them of spying on her and video taping her while showering.  

After that the county and state deiced enough was enough and had her put into a facility.  

About a week later we received word she escaped and if she showed up again we needed to call ASAP.  Luckily they found her a few hours later.

Any one else deal with a neighbor like this?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
most of my neighbors are boring pricks

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
most of my neighbors are boring pricks

This; nothing nearly that fun!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
So how old is this little old lady?  Are you fearful you will wake up with her standing over you and cutting your balls off?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Did OP hit that or what?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
No, just ones with yappy little punt dogs that I sincerely hope will get into the owners' pool cleaning chemicals and yak on a chlorine tablet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Growing up I had an old German lady as a neighbor who reeeeally liked drinking. She would do hilarious shit just to piss off the neighborhood for her amusement. She once told me as a child her and her brothers were forced into the Hitler Youth. She was really cool for being an old Nazi lady. She recently passed away from lung cancer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]
We can all look forward to a vacation at a lovely FEMA Resorts International. $350 airline credit if booked prior to inaguration...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago, my wife was home alone with the kids and an elderly lady walked in the front door.  The lady asked if John was home.  My wife told her no.  Then the elderly lady asked if she could have a pepsi, then excused herself.  

We called the police, who had no reports of missing people.  We also called the nursing homes and they were not missing anyone.  We never did see her again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to have a neighbor that I and my friends called Crazy Alice.  She would do stuff like set fire to the bushes in her back yard and then stand behind what was left wearing a fur coat and sunglasses.  She came over and knocked on my door while I had some company.  I didn't want to start a screaming fit on the front porch so I let her in.  She sat on the couch talking nonsense while we were all straining hard not to bust a gut.  Took a while to get rid of her.

One day she came over to my place while a friend and I were working on a car.  She wouldn't leave and was acting crazy.  After a while her middle aged daughter came over to tell me she had called the police and they were on the way.  The daughter was all banged up, had a black eye, and missing some teeth.  I didn't even know the daughter was living there for years.

Two cops arrived and talked to her for a while and then called for a paddy wagon to take her to the mental hospital for evaluation.  One of the cops turned to me and said "boy, she's nuttier than a fruitcake".  When the wagon arrived they got her to step into it but she wouldn't sit down - wanted to go for a ride standing up in the rear doorway.

Never saw Crazy Alice again.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope I don't get that point one of these days, getting old sounds like it kinda blows
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like Dementia and Alzheimers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I hope I don't get that point one of these days, getting old sounds like it kinda blows

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a friend who's neighbor was the HOA president. Guy was a real prick. Would knock on the door that the trash bin was out too long by the road and other super minor things. Anyways this guys wife copied my friends front yard landscaping. Friend puts a tree in. So does the neighbor. Even yard ornaments. So one day my friend goes out and rents 40 pink flamingos and puts them up in his front yard. It was cheap for him. Neighbor goes out and does the same thing. While I'm there the neighbor mentions he spent over a hundred and fifty bucks on these stupid pink flamingos. I smiled and told him that my buddy rented his for a party. The look on his face was priceless.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#16]
We had one, it came in as a fire call, that teh bushed were on fire at this house.  Got there, and it was an olderCape Cod with a chain link fence and boxwood hedges all around it, on fire in like 5 or 6 places.  Get the fire out, the old lady had taken an extension cord, cut the end off and wired it to the fence to electrify it.  She was afraid that people were sneaking into her backyard at night.  She was lucky her son lived nearby so he moved back with her to take care of her.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
We have a neighbor that does all sorts of stuff.

Called the police whenever we were shooting in the backyard.. it's rural..

Called the EPA and well inspectors when we drilled a hole for a water well for the cherry trees in the farm.

Poisoned our chicken when they went into his yard.

Shot at our dogs despite them being in our property.

A neighbor across the street is an old guy and Korean war vet who flew The black Widow for the Air Force and has received several medals.

Old fart asshole, decides to go to his property and the war pointed a gun at him and held him until the police came.

He was charged with trespass and disorderly conduct.

We were called to the ATF one time by him years ago about automatic machine guns.

ATF saw my Form 4 for my RR AR15 and M11 Sten conversion.

Old and weird neighbor doesn't like the vet defending us.

My mom makes meals for him sometimes because his wife died.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, my wife's grandmother... Great woman but she had something that when she didn't get enough oxygen she would see things to the point she could not be left alone. She's gone now and I really miss her. She was the best grandmother a 40yo could have!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#20]
At my previous house, a neighbor man had Alzheimer's. He would get loose in the neighborhood. Somebody would eventually find him
or recognize he had a problem. If the cops were called old Mr. Sebastian would tell them he couldn't remember his address but lived in
a house with a blue boat upside down against the house.

I had a small rowboat leaning against the deck in back. They always brought him to my house. I then had to take them next door to wake
the wife or his live in nanny.

The old guy bonded with me for some reason. He would show up in my driveway wanting to talk. Mostly while I was busy. He always wanted
to "...do his part to keep the base up and running..." I finally gave in. One time, I gave him a can of paint, brush and cardboard. Told him to
paint the "...hours of operation. Don't bother me until you're done..." Poor guy struggled for a few hours to make a sign, just couldn't
remember how to write. He did paint that cardboard a perfect white... I hung it in the garage. The next day he didn't even know he painted it.
I left it hang.

I'd let him hold a wrench or cup of nails while I was working in the garage. He seemed content to be helping.

The convoluted, rambling conversation could get mind numbing. Repeated EVERYTHING...

Some of us will be there someday if we live long enough...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#21]
This is why I love living out in the country in North Carolina,, ride atvs, piss in yard if I want, shoot in yard or field beside house,  doen't get much better than that, .
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:20:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ehhh...Sort of...

We've had a neighbor who waltzed onto our property with a chain saw and chainsawed some trees he didn't like, then threatened to shoot us and burn our house down.

But when the state got involved, they didn't help.  They threatened to arrest us for trespassing if we set so much as "one foot" on the neighbor's property.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Alzheimer's?  Scares the living bejeezus out of me, and the older I get and my memory isn't as sharp, the more it frightens me.  Seriously, if I get dementia like that, I don't want to live anymore.

No shit man...

My grandmother is coming down with it BAD, and it weirds me the hell out because I can't figure out what, if anything, to do.

A couple months back she spent hours showing old photos to empty air.

She constantly insists that theres a little girl in the house who dances and sings to her, but never talks, and won't eat anything, and so she's going to call the police if her mother doesn't come get her and start taking care of her.

We visited them a few weeks ago.  Granddad and I went out and picked up pizza.
When I got home I took my jacket off and tossed it over the back of a spare chair at the dinner table.
Grandma spent half an hour trying to feed it pizza.

I couldn't figure out if I should be trying to convince her it was a piece of clothing and not a person or just going along with it.

ETA: For what it's worth, just because you're getting old doesn't mean that you'll loose your mind.  My grandfather is 93 now.  He's got more titanium in him than an F-14 and his shoulders are shot, but he's still on the ball.  About the only thing he has trouble remembering is if he's told us a particular story from "back in the day" or not.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I had to check what state you were in.  

I had a friend in Arizona that had to get a restraining order against his next door neighbor after she repeatedly called the police against him and his son, accusing them of entering her house and rearranging her furniture.  The police actually took them and interrogated them the first time it happened.  The son worked for either the Pima county sheriff at the time or Border Patrol and the father worked for another agency in the USDOJ.  

The old lady went off the deep end and after about 6 months of this her husband and adult children had her removed from the house and institutionalized.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#26]
What's her screen name?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Thread title is misleading. You make it sound as if the SS drug her out in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:39:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At my previous house, a neighbor man had Alzheimer's. He would get loose in the neighborhood. Somebody would eventually find him
or recognize he had a problem. If the cops were called old Mr. Sebastian would tell them he couldn't remember his address but lived in
a house with a blue boat upside down against the house.

I had a small rowboat leaning against the deck in back. They always brought him to my house. I then had to take them next door to wake
the wife or his live in nanny.

The old guy bonded with me for some reason. He would show up in my driveway wanting to talk. Mostly while I was busy. He always wanted
to "...do his part to keep the base up and running..." I finally gave in. One time, I gave him a can of paint, brush and cardboard. Told him to
paint the "...hours of operation. Don't bother me until you're done..." Poor guy struggled for a few hours to make a sign, just couldn't
remember how to write. He did paint that cardboard a perfect white... I hung it in the garage. The next day he didn't even know he painted it.
I left it hang.

I'd let him hold a wrench or cup of nails while I was working in the garage. He seemed content to be helping.

The convoluted, rambling conversation could get mind numbing. Repeated EVERYTHING...

Some of us will be there someday if we live long enough...

You are extemely kind. That old man may not have known exactly where he was or why, but he trusted you and enjoyed your company. I'd like to think I'd humor him and handle myself the same way you did.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#29]
No pics of neighbor?  You should know the rules.  

Seriously next door neighbor was similar.  The police were there once a month or so.  The house was a wreck -- no maintenance performed in the past 25~30 years.  

Finally they put him in an county nursing home, he died, and his house was repossessed.  

Some guy moved in and spent $150k+ updating the house.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

At my parents place, diagonally across the street, lived a single elderly lady who has no family left and has lived in her house since it was built in the late 70s.  In the 80s and early 90s we had no issues with her.  But in the early 2000s she started to change.  First she would call the county on any thing she didn't like about other peoples property.  Second when you would bump into her when she was walking her dog she would talk to you about off the wall subjects and didn't really make any sense at times.  It got the point if I saw her coming down the street I would avoid her.

About 3 years ago it started to get worse.  She erected a 6 foot razor wire fence (yes just like the prisons have) around her yard complete with flood lights.  She claimed men were climbing into here back yard spying on her.  She also would acuse the neighbors of building on her property.  Structures that have stood there for 20 years she claimed were moved onto her land.  She accused the neighbor that lives across the street from my parents place of moving their drive way onto her property (it has never moved). That neighbor actually had a survey crew from the county come out and prove it to her.  Didn't stop her from accusing them weekly.

About 1 year ago it go really bad.  She would walk into peoples back yards and stuff to talk about off the wall subjects as previously mentioned.  It reached a stopping point when she went inside our across the street neighbors house in the middle of the night when the entire family was sleeping and accused them of spying on her and video taping her while showering.  

After that the county and state deiced enough was enough and had her put into a facility.  

About a week later we received word she escaped and if she showed up again we needed to call ASAP.  Luckily they found her a few hours later.

That could be a lot of older folks with dementia or Alzheimer's.

My Mom had it, but she didn't do near as crazy stuff as the one in your story.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I, for one, plan to embrace my insanity when it happens to me! Fuck everyone else if they can't take a joke!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Wish I had some neighbors like that
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hajji doesn't scare me.

Riyadh driving kind of scares me.

Jumping out of an airplane is downright fun.

Alzheimer's?  Scares the living bejeezus out of me, and the older I get and my memory isn't as sharp, the more it frightens me.  Seriously, if I get dementia like that, I don't want to live anymore.

Yup.  I don't know how I'm going out, but I dammed sure ain't going out like that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hajji doesn't scare me.

Riyadh driving kind of scares me.

Jumping out of an airplane is downright fun.

See the problem is that you will nt remember that you don't want to live anymore.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Not sure if she was a neighbor but here is my story.

I live in a small town (pop less than 1000)

Occasionally this old lady would walk up and down the road by my house, screaming into a bullhorn that you needed to go to church or you were going to burn in hell.

My Father in law was the town cop and said she got taken away for walking into the school and a couple of the banks in town and doing the same thing a few times as well.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#36]

A neighbor? No.

A relative who thinks she determines God's Will, and that he smites down anyone who crosses her?...    yeah.

But at least she's not a neighbor!   Cos I can at least avoid her by filtering her emails to trash.  If she was a neighbor I'd have to deal with her in person.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#37]
We have a neighbor down the street that has early onset dementia.  It is really sad.  He is in his 50's and is almost incapable of taking care of himself.  

He walked into another neighbors house while he was sleeping.  Scared the shit out of the guy when he woke up to another man in the room.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes. Almost exactly like that. She claimed we were drilling holes in her walls and spraying poison into her home. She also called the police constantly about people in her attic. Unfortunately, she didn't have an attic. It was pretty sad but it very rapidly turned annoying, for both the police and her neighbors, when they had to come out non-stop, nearly every day, over stupid and imaginary things.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Dementia is a terrible thing.  I feel sorry for your neighbor.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I had a neighbor who wasn't quite like that, but he did try to shoot me with his Winchester 1300, which I had to take away from him before he manage to do so.

I didn't go to his funeral when he died about a year later.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I AM that neighbor.

That could get downright scary, actually. I recall meeting a gal while working as a service tech for a security company many many years ago. Similar thing, she thought her neighbors were using the overhead wires to break into her house through the attic.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Some of the meanest folks I have ever dealt with when I worked EMS were elderly patients from nursing homes that suffered from dementia. They'd verbally and physically assault you without blinking an eye. One time I witnessed an old lady (probably 85 years of age) land a well thrown punch on my partner while he was leaning over her to strap her into the gurney. I laughed until I cried. This old lady was something else. The older personnel would always introduce her to any new EMT/Medics and she always responded after looking them up and down that "he/she looks like a damn fool to me". Though we all took it in strides, sadly, many of these same people were physically abusive to other residents in these homes. For them, they posed a serious threat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#43]
President Reagan suffered from Alzheimers. When he was still ambulatory they'd take him to the park so he could watch the softball games. He would also "rake leaves" in the back yard with his agents spreading leaves behind him so that he could rake more. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not making fun of him. But if you remember when he was younger he loved sports and of course worked at his ranch clearing brush. It kind of makes me wonder where in his mind he was.

Also, there's a story of When George Shultz came to visit him he wasn't recognized. When he left, the President asked, "he's an important man, isn't he?"

Be kind if you can. You never know what kind of life they had or what adventures they went through.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#44]
The truth is that situations like this are very very sad. If we are lucky enough(depending on how you look at it) to live that long it will happen to many of us. All we will be is that crazy old man or lady across the street. Not the fireman, soldier, cop, basement dweller that we are now.

I truly believe that we as people are made from our experiences in life. Tragedies and losses, celebrations and good times, our families most importantly. When you get that age and dementia sets in, you lose who you are as a person. If you make it to 90 plus years, I can almost guarantee you will bury a spouse, children, most if not all of your friends and will not remember much if anything about your amazing life.  You will be called the crazy person and institutionalized against your will for your own safety(rightfully so) to live out your remaining years as a pseudo prisoner.

We will be there sooner than you think. I am younger than some and older than a lot. I just had my 20 year high school reunion and finished 17 years as a career fireman. It goes so so fast is what I tell the young guys on the job. I blinked and 20 years were gone. We do not have many more blinks.
Ain't life grand!  Btw. Yes it is!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is why I love living out in the country in North Carolina,, ride atvs, piss in yard if I want, shoot in yard or field beside house,  doen't get much better than that, .

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#46]
It's not uncommon to get DHS involved with the elderly. Calling 911 3 times a day for a lift assist is a good way to get the process started.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sounds like Dementia and Alzheimers.

Classic systems ,a very bad way to go.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#48]
My crazy neighbor introduced herself to us by screaming at the top of her lungs from her trailer that my wife was (insert every filthy expletive you've ever heard). This went on for more than an hour.
I have vid of this somewhere. I comehome 2 hours later and shes been going non stop.
Cops were called and despite her being indoors and out of eyesight of the cops she immediately came outside when they arrived
cops agreed she was crazy, but that wasnt the last time we would meet.

Middle of the night i hear a car in the driveway, driver is on the phone and looking at something in the distance.
crazy neighbor was walking down the street at 3am. The concerned citizen drove up to her slowly, I assume to see if shes ok.
She leaned in the drivers window and screamed loud enough to wake my wife "I have just as much right to be here as you do"
She got in her door just as the pd showed up.
Knock Knock.
"GET THE FUCK OFF MY PROPERTY YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKERS"
I remember that line because it worked! The cops left.

Next episode.Commotion outside, I look out the window to see her doing her best Michael Jackson dance moves for passing cars. Moonwalk, crotch grabbing, etc. all while wearing an open bath robe.

The last time I saw her she was trimming the trees between my property and the trailer park with a kitchen knife. She turned several healthy oleanders into charlie brown christmas tree look alikes.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like a typical arfcommer

What is her SN?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The behavior change in 2000 is a sign of alzheimers and dementia.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top