Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:31:39 PM EDT
I sent out a package in a large flat rate box to a customer out in California on November 24th.  I never heard anything from him like "hey, I got it.  This thing is awesome.". Or "how do I put this together?". So I punched the tracking number into the USPS website.  It got checked into my local post office, then checked into the truck going to the sorting facility in Hazelwood, MO but it never got checked into the sorting facility.

I went to my local post office today to fill out some paperwork on it.

I feel like a schmuck because the guy sent me a check for it for $180.  If I was him, I would be thinking "That asshole stole my money!". Yes, I have been sending him updates via email.

Yeah, I should have sent it out insured.  Frick, now I gotta cut up more steel parts and drill them and weld them, and paint them.  Ugg this sucks!

So any advice on working with the USPS to find it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Go postal
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I like turtles.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
We have had this happen a couple of times.  The USPS is lousy at updating their tracking info. I would give it a week or two, it will probably show up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck any government run delivery service. Go ups or fedex next time
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. USPS is the worst way to send anything important.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just here for the gangbang
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've sent out like 6 to 8 of these swinging targets.  One was to a guy in Phoenix.  He said the box was like all shredded and taped back together when it made it to his doorstep.  That should have been my first clue.  I will be changing up the design so the corners aren't trying to press through the box.  There is only so much I can fit in a box that is 23.75L by 11.75W by 3T .  Yeah, I will check out what UPS and FedEx charge for shipping.  The great thing about the USPS large flat rate boxes was it only cost $16.20 to ship.  They are running 26 pounds, so to ship normally to California USPS would be $54.  

Porter-Cable makes these metal tool boxes  for their sawzall and hammer drill.  It would be awesome to ship in one of those but that adds the cost of the box plus NON-flat rate shipping.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've sent out like 6 to 8 of these swinging targets.  One was to a guy in Phoenix.  He said the box was like all shredded and taped back together when it made it to his doorstep.  That should have been my first clue.  I will be changing up the design so the corners aren't trying to press through the box.  There is only so much I can fit in a box that is 23.75L by 11.75W by 3T .  Yeah, I will check out what UPS and FedEx charge for shipping.  The great thing about the USPS large flat rate boxes was it only cost $16.20 to ship.  They are running 26 pounds, so to ship normally to California USPS would be $54.  

Porter-Cable makes these metal tool boxes  for their sawzall and hammer drill.  It would be awesome to ship in one of those but that adds the cost of the box plus NON-flat rate shipping.

Why not make a plywood or similar sub-box that fits in the usps box? It's flat rate regardless of the weight, right? Maybe that'll prevent it from punching through the cardboard?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I have thought of that.  I have lots of 1/4" MDF.  One of my customers made a video:
Swinger target video

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
USPS is the shittiest shipper. Those dumbfucks can never get anything right. Always raising rates and doing shittier service. Another form of our worthless govt and inept funding.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a large package shipped USPS to me and it arrived with a hole bigger than my fist in it, so as the lable said, I refused it and had it sent back unopened. Shipper claims they never got it back  and the tracking stopped at New Jersy just before Hurricane Sandy. Still waiting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Y'all do realize that FedEx handles alot of USPS stuff right? Also UPS has contracts with them to do some of their shipping. They all have lose stuff equally and they all try to fuck you when you file a claim.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#13]
unless it was destroyed it will eventually show up, send everything priority insured, it's worth it
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This.

Even the 'insurance' is next to worthless. You have to wait SIX WEEKS before you can even file a claim, and then the Post Office will conduct a 'search' for the missing package for MONTHS. Few people stick it out long enough to collect... which is EXACTLY what the USPS WANTS.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW the Postal Service has not been a gov't agency since 1974.

The rates they charge are by far much less than any other shipper.

They process more mail in a day than most shippers process in a year.

Always insure your shipments.

Proper packaging is vital.

The boxes the Post Office gives out free are the largest boxes that can be sorted by machine, so they will process quickly.

Non-standard size packages will require manual processing so they will process slowly and are more likely to be damaged in handling.

If you have the last post office/processing facility it went to just call them with the shipping number.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep using the flat rate boxes, just Insure it for $1000.

Still cheaper than the alternative and you make out when they lose it again.

It's been said, but this time of year, I'll bet it shows up in a week or so.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Tough week for USPS.

I just checked UPS tracking for my MidwayUSA order.

12/28/2012 12:46 P.M. An incorrect sort routed the package to the wrong local post office.
12/28/2012 11:29 A.M. Package transferred to post office
12/28/2012 5:31 A.M. Destination Scan
12/28/2012 3:03 A.M. Arrival Scan
Richmond, VA, United States 12/28/2012 1:08 A.M. Departure Scan
Earth City, MO, United States 12/21/2012 6:56 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 12/21/2012 9:29 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
i got one coming from AZ shipped priority friday was the last log for it. still not here.. Customer parts too.. yuppy skippy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balls.

Send it Registered /  Insured.

It'll get there.

But don't believe the delivery date the receiving clerk opines.

I send gold to APMEX Registered /  Insured. Hasn't failed yet.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I shipped a rifle out via USPS priority. Jap Arisaka, legally shipped to a C&R licensee. Took 2 1/2 weeks to get there and I was wondering at what point should I clue ATF in that there's a missing firearm.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Happened to me 3 times over the last 3 months. But all 3 were international. I ended up eating the cost of all 3, and stopped shipping USPS international. Luckily they were all fairly small items.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balls.

Send it Registered /  Insured.

It'll get there.

But don't believe the delivery date the receiving clerk opines.

I send gold to APMEX Registered /  Insured. Hasn't failed yet.

Sent a check on the 17th registered from TX to IL.  Still hasn't been seen and all I can get out of USPS is "it left the originating facility".  We canceled the check today to send out via Fed-Ex.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
As I type this I'm sitting in my postal truck waiting to transport mail from a post office to the processing plant in Providence. What happend to you has happend to me many times. It will most liky pop up but in the future spend the extra for insurance or at least a signature required. As bad as the Postal tracking is you can't beat priority shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top