Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2002 12:49:25 PM EDT
We're in the market for a new sofa.  Our household is very rough on furniture -- our last high quality cloth sofa has seen it's better days and is about 5 years old.

At this point, we're seriously contemplating leather replacements because what we've been told of their durability, stain resistance, etc.

Anyone here have leather furniture?  How does it hold up to dogs, cats, mud, kids, feet, dirt, and anything else an active family throws at it?  Are all the stories of their resistance to stains, dog/cat claws, etc. true?  Anything in particular I should look for (or watch out for)?

FWIW we're considering an ivory color.

TIA
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Leather all the way!

Herculon was cat killed in a month...5 years and the leather is still swell...use conditioner and leather cleaner for cars on it.

Get a Binkie though, cause leather does get cold in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Leather, but it is important to get QUALITY leather though.

We have two leather couches, one is very worn and scuffed up, but it was a cheap couch. (The most comfortable couch in the world though)  And in the living room we have an actual nice leather couch.  The dogs are on it daily, actually two 100lb. dogs jumping on it, and it looks as good as new.  Nice quality leather pays for itself many times over.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a leather LaZBoy recliner, it is great for lasting. It has lasted longer than my cloth LaZBoy. And everything wipes off of it really easily. I use leather conditioner on it every 6 months or so, and it is still looking brand new

So yeah, my vote goes to Leather
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for leather. Got rid of the cloth stuff about 5 years ago and don't regret a minute of it. As has been said, watch the quality of leather and educate yourself on the different types. You'll find out that you get what you pay for every time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
What about Natuzzi?  I hope the spelling is right.  Salespersons (from two different stores) say that its a very popular mid-priced line of Italian leather furniture.  They use straps to suspend the cushions, versus springs IIRC.  I think they run around $2,200-2,300 for a sofa and chair combo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Leather is great!  Easy to care for and you just wipe up spills.  You just have to watch out for scuffs and scratches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
We just recently went for the leather couch and loveseat to replace the old cloth ones, ourselves.  So far, so good.  We have 1 dog and 2 cats in the house.  It was really getting to be a pain vacuuming and scrubbing the pet hair off the cloth furniture.  Now I just dust it, and it's clean!  The scuffs and scratches just add character, I think.  And it's super comfortable.  We've only had it a few months and haven't needed to use the conditioner yet, but I think it's going to work out just fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
We don't abuse it as much as it sounds like you do. However, we have had the same set for about 5 years now. Still looks good. We got a fairly high end set. About 5000 for the couch, love seat and easy chair. It has a life time warranty on the frame, and 10 year on the leather. It is italian leather, so there are no scars on it. Also it is leather all the way around. You can get a cheaper set if the backs and sides are not leather.
This is more like a bomber jacket type leather instead of sude(the fuzzy type of leather) (sp) because the claws can scratch that up.
It is much easier to get the dog hair off.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
That flexsteel framed stuff is kind of cool.

I had a cool leather chair until the cat decided it made a good scratching post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top