Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2002 5:04:10 AM EDT
[url]http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/sports/wildcats/8_21_02wilbur_1a.html[/url]

Wilbur tamed: UA takes mascot's pistols

The decision to disarm Wilbur was ridiculed as "disgusting" by the co-owner of a local gun club.
University of Arizona

PAUL L. ALLEN
Tucson Citizen
Aug. 21, 2002
Wilbur Wildcat, the seemingly invincible mascot of the University of Arizona, apparently has met his match: political correctness.

Wilbur's had to turn in his six-shooters.
Phoebe Chalk, UA assistant athletics director for public relations, said the image of Wilbur packing pistols seemed to fly in the face of the campus's drug- and weapons-free rule.

"We talked a year ago about removing his guns, and the change took place," she said. "Wilbur's likeness is used for the Junior Wildcat Club, with children, and we didn't want to have guns in this day and age on a cartoon character."

The decision to disarm Wilbur was made this summer by a campus committee that reviews all UA trademarks and logos.

Call it PC, but in Chalk's opinion, it was the correct decision.

Others are up in arms.

"It's disgusting," said Rick Batory, a retired Pima County sheriff's lieutenant and co-owner of Desert Trails Gun Club & Training Facility, 7777 E. Valencia Road.

"When they were talking about it out here, some of the guys said they were going to cancel their season ticket orders," he said.
Batory ridiculed the move, blaming "a small group of vocal idiots running amok, telling everybody how to live their lives."

"If it goes any further," he said, "the Great Seal of the United States of America will have to be changed, too. The eagle has arrows. They'll have to disarm that sucker, too."
So, what's Wilbur supposed to do to defend himself against his archenemy, Arizona State University mascot Sparky, who's armed with a formidable-looking trident?

"I think Wilbur is a pretty fierce wildcat," said Chalk, who noted that the "live" Wilbur Wildcat, a costumed human who appears at UA sporting events cheering on the crowd, has never been armed.

"He's got teeth and claws and can handle it on his own," she said.

Tweaking UA's logos

The University of Arizona today will announce slight changes to its logos. But UA isn't messing with the "A" familiar to Cat fans.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the UA's take on it plus the new logo.
Complete fucking spineless moron liberal dummy-crap left-wing commies!
They spent two years erasing the pistols from his hands!
Ohhh, the kitty is snarling, it scares me. The kitty is dressed up as a cowboy, they oppressed the Native Americans. The kitty does'nt reflect the views of the gay community. The kitty is wearing a coyboy hat, it dosen't reflect the makeup of the diverse student population pool.
I hope this starts the biggest shitstorm in AZ education history.
[url]http://www.arizona.edu/spotlight/mirror/5957/MainStoryDetails.html[/url]
[img]http://www.arizona.edu/spotlight/mirror/5957/wilbur.jpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"PC" will be the ruination of America.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
GAWDDAMN.............!!!!!!!!!!!

this PC shit is really getting to me  !!

when i first read about this shit, my first reaction was, as Morgan Earp put it so delicately: "Kill'm All...!!"

you all shud have heard what Rick really said, it was unprintable...........

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"PC" will be the ruination of America.
View Quote

[b]WILL[/b] be???

It's already too late.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
"We talked a year ago about removing his guns, and the change took place," she said. "Wilbur's likeness is used for the Junior Wildcat Club, with children, and we didn't want to have guns in this day and age on a cartoon character."

Yosemite Sam
Elmer Fudd
Etc.
Are they going to ban them now?

Hmm. . .Foghorn Leghorn promotes cruelty to dogs.  BAN HIM!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Now it looks like he's reaching down to pull up his saggy-assed pants.
[img]http://www.arizona.edu/spotlight/mirror/5957/wilbur.jpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now it looks like he's reaching down to pull up his saggy-assed pants.
View Quote

Ha-ha!

That's so true!

What the hell is he reaching for anyway?

For those who don't know, Tucson is the most liberal city in Arizona. It elects the ONLY Democ[b]rat[/b]ic Representative to Congress from Arizona (Ed "El Bandito" Pastor) and so it doesn't surprise me one bit that the brainless PC crowd runs the show down there.

They'd never get away with it ANYWHERE else in Arizona except in Tucson.

Tucson politics sucks. It caters to the liberal birkenstock-college crowd as well as the Mexican-Immigrants who don't want to assimilate into AMERICAN culture.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Without the guns he looks like he belongs in a gay "pride" march.  Nice leather chaps.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
While they're at it - they might want to remove his SPURS, as that would be cruelty to animals, ya know. Can't be sticking horses with metal spurs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought this went out of style in the 90's....

In Milwaukee, Marquette U changed it's mascot/team name from 'Warriors' to 'Golden Eagles' (although one local talk show host called them the 'Golden Chickens'. That fits much better, IMHO) to (a) avoid offending the indian-er-'native american' population (the mascot was an indian, and (b) not promote war and militarisim. They did it without the support of a single indian group, and without the support of most of the campus....

Many still want 'Warriors' back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#12]
PUSSIES!!! (pun intended)

Here's the stuff! (I was born and raised in Stillwater):

[url]http://www2.okstate.edu/lam2717/PISTOLPETE.html[/url]

The Man
[img]http://osu-ns03.cis.okstate.edu/tools/webtools.nsf/Images/Millis/$FILE/PeteShoot.jpg[/img]

"My boy, may an old man's curse rest upon you, if you do not try to avenge your father...You must never stop until they are all accounted for!" These words, according to one of Eaton's many stories were spoken by a family friend following the brutal murder of his father, and guided the formative years of Frank's life.

Born in 1860, in Hartford, Connecticut, Frank moved with his family to Kansas shortly after the close of the Civil War. When Frank was eight years old, his father, a former Union soldier, was shot and killed by a group of lawless former Confederates. Frank was a witness to the murder and each of the murderers' faces was imprinted in his memory.

After being challenged to avenge his father's death by Mose Beaman, (the family friend) Frank set out to learn how to handle guns. Mose gave him a gun and holster, and taught him how to handle and shoot guns. Frank quickly learned to "shoot a snake's head off with either hand". During the next few years, Frank's days were spent helping his mother with chores and practicing shooting. With each passing year, he became faster and more accurate with his guns.

The Mascot/Logo

[img]http://www2.okstate.edu/images/gifs/pete2color.GIF[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top