Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2002 6:18:20 PM EDT
Aug. 21, 2002
[size=4]HU bomber worked on campus[/size=4]
By ETGAR LEFKOVITS

Wearing perfumed gloves to disguise the smell of the explosives that he had hidden in some bushes the night before, Muhammed Odeh, 29, showed his worker's ID card to the security guard, and walked right into the Hebrew University's Mount Scopus campus.

It was the morning of July 31.

The suspected bomber of the cafeteria of the Frank Sinatra Pavilion had jumped the fence that surrounds the campus and hidden his bomb, before heading to his home in the Silwan neighborhood.

Odeh is part of a 15-member Hamas cell uncovered by security forces on Saturday night. The cell is believed to be responsible for several attacks and the deaths of at least 35 people. Like three other members of the cell captured so far, he had a Jerusalem resident's identity card, which allowed him to move freely around the city.

Odeh worked as a painter for a contractor employed by the university and knew the campus well. [b]He chose the most popular cafeteria, knowing it was not much frequented by Arabs but was a favorite of foreign students.[/b] He knew that lunchtime was its busiest hour.

The morning of the attack, dressed in his work clothes, he stopped at a kiosk to pick up a newspaper, which would help him carry out his plan.

After retrieving the bomb from the bushes, Odeh took the bag in which it was hidden and placed it in the building he was working in until lunchtime, when he made his way to the bustling cafeteria.

Choosing a centrally located table, he left the bag, covered it with the newspaper, and left quickly.

Once outside the campus, he met up with another suspect, Wa'el Kassem, and the two detonated the device using a cellphone.

Nine people were killed in the blast, [b]including five Americans[/b], and dozens others wounded, including a 21-year-old woman still in critical condition.

In a bitter twist, the day after the attack Odeh was summoned by his employer, and returned to the university to paint the very building he had bombed.

He returned to the campus several times in the three weeks it took to track him down.

[url]http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1029920493638[/url]

[size=4]Jerusalem Hamas cell broken[/size=4]
By MARGOT DUDKEVITCH

A Hamas terrorist cell, including four members who live in east Jerusalem, was arrested late Saturday night, the Shin Bet revealed Wednesday.

The cell was involved in recent terrorist attacks in which 35 Israelis and foreigners were killed and hundreds wounded, according to security sources.

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon praised the security services for their accomplishment.

"Following the uncovering of a murder cell which perpetrated the most serious acts and the most serious and dangerous attacks, I would like to congratulate the security services, the Israel Police, and the IDF for this impressive achievement," Sharon said before meeting US Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Washington).

"This is another piece of dedicated work by the security forces in halting and eliminating terror, so that we can make progress to achieve quiet and a subsequent political process. I believe that with God's help, we will reach peace."

The east Jerusalem terrorists were employed by Israelis, worked inside Israel, possessed Israeli identity cards, and were able to drive vehicles with Israeli license plates, security sources said.

The cell members were reportedly involved in the bombing at the Hebrew University's Mount Scopus campus in July in which nine were killed and 84 wounded, the suicide bombing at the Moment Cafe in Jerusalem in March in which 11 were killed and dozens wounded, and the attack at the Rishon Lezion pool hall in May in which 15 were killed.

The cell also reportedly participated in failed attempts to blow up the Pi Glilot fuel depot north of Tel Aviv.

The four took advantage of the fact that they were able to travel unrestricted inside Israel, a situation that allowed them to compile intelligence information and look for locations where attacks would cause the most casualties. In some cases, they participated in the attacks themselves.

After the attacks, the cell members continued working at their jobs while planning more attacks.

Shin Bet agents and police arrested the five cell members as two of them were en route to perpetrate a bombing in the Tel Aviv area. After being taken into custody, they confessed that they had left a bomb inside a bag placed in Lifta, an abandoned Arab village at the entrance to Jerusalem. The bomb was found and detonated by police sappers on Tuesday afternoon, causing police to close down portions of the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway for several hours.

According to the Shin Bet, the Hamas leadership in Syria gave instructions to Hamas headquarters in Judea and Samaria, which notified Hamas headquarters in Ramallah, where the suicide terrorists were recruited and the bombs were made. A Hamas operative who was in contact with the cell supplied the bombs and gave other assistance.

Security officials have yet to crack down on the infrastructure that activated the cell or to locate the sites where the bombs were made and the explosives purchased.

The identities of the five are Wa'al Mahmud Ali Kassem, 31, of Ras el-Amud, the cell's commander; Wissam Sa'id Musa Abassi, 25, of Silwan; Al'ah Adin Mahmoud Mahmad Abassi, 30, of Silwan; Muhammad Itzhak Shehada Odeh, 29, of Silwan; and Mahmoud Hassan Ahmed Arman, 37, of Harbata Beni Harras near Ramallah, who coordinated the cell's activities with the leadership in Ramallah.
Odeh worked as a handyman at the Hebrew University and planted the bomb.

Wissam Abassi worked as a glazier for a firm in the Rishon Lezion area and scouted the site for the attack in the pool hall. He informed Kassem that he had found a suitable site without any security guards and compiled information regarding access to the club.

On the night of the attack he and Al'ah Abassi drove the suicide bomber to the club and gave him clear directions how to enter.

Wissam Abassi also tracked down the fuel tanker after spotting it parked outside the driver's home in Holon and followed it to the Pi Glilot fuel depot. His operators liked the idea of blowing up the depot and the cell was ordered to carry out the attack. Wissam placed the bomb under the tanker and the following day, after following the vehicle to the depot, detonated it by cellphone.

The location of the suicide bomb attack at Jerusalem's Moment Cafe was spotted by Kassem and Odeh as they drove around the city scouting for a site. They arranged to pick up the suicide bomber at a mosque in Beit Hanina after he was taken there by Arman. They drove him to the cafe, followed by Wissam Abassi, who drove a second car to "check the route."

Kassem and Odeh let the suicide bomber out and all three returned to their homes.

The last attack occurred on August 7 when Wissam Abassi spotted the fuel tanker and was determined to carry out a mega-attack. Arman brought him a bomb from Ramallah and gave it to him in Jerusalem. Wissam then met with Kassem and they went to the Pisgat Ze'ev neighborhood where they spotted the tanker and placed the bomb.

Wissam planned to follow the tanker to the fuel depot and detonate it, but a policeman stopped him near the tanker and questioned him, so he fled. Hours later he detonated the bomb via his cellphone without knowing the location of the tanker. The bomb exploded in Rishon Lezion, wounding the driver.

Janine Zacharia contributed to this report.

[url]http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1029920494527[/url]

Eric The(WayToGo!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Never have to worry about how the Israelis will handle this batch of gaqrbage.

Nice grab, nice police work. String'em up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the POS Bomber's son. Wonder if he understands that his father is a murderer of students? Doubt it!

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020821/mdf91765.jpg[/img]

Caption: 6-year-old Hamzah Oudeh shows a picture of his father Muhammed, arrested by Israeli police August 21, 2002 on suspicion he participated in the bombing of Jerusalem's Hebrew University. Israel said it had arrested Hamas militants suspected of carrying out the University bombing last month which killed nine people, including five Americans. (Mahfouz Abu Turk/Reuters)

Here is the POS, himself:

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020821/capt.1029948300.mideast_israel_arrests_jrl104.jpg[/img]

Look at the murderer of [b]FIVE AMERICAN CITIZENS[/B]!

Eric The(TheCheckIsInTheMail!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Good work in tracking down these MASS MURDERERS!!  Unlike America where the FBI fumbles around and the hand wringers want them let go......

I can think of a number of apropriate things to do to these vermin but feel the Israelies will do just fine - if Washington stays out of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here is the POS Bomber's son. Wonder if he understands that his father is a murderer of students? Doubt it!

[url]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020821/mdf91765.jpg[/url]

Caption: 6-year-old Hamzah Oudeh shows a picture of his father Muhammed, arrested by Israeli police August 21, 2002 on suspicion he participated in the bombing of Jerusalem's Hebrew University. Israel said it had arrested Hamas militants suspected of carrying out the University bombing last month which killed nine people, including five Americans. (Mahfouz Abu Turk/Reuters)

Here is the POS, himself:

[url]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020821/capt.1029948300.mideast_israel_arrests_jrl104.jpg[/url]

Look at the murderer of [b]FIVE AMERICAN CITIZENS[/B]!

Eric The(TheCheckIsInTheMail!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Sad to say, but the only thing that kid will "understand" is that "the Jews took daddy - I must kill them!"
We'll see a picture of his head in the street after a murder bombing soon......
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Post from sOulzerO -
Sad to say, but the only thing that kid will "understand" is that "the Jews took daddy - I must kill them!"
We'll see a picture of his head in the street after a murder bombing soon......
View Quote

Around the time of the Black September fiasco in Jordan, in 1970, there came the story that Arafat became angry with a subordinate of his and pulled his gun and shot the man in the head, killing him in cold blood.

Later that day, Arafat made his appearance at the man's home to console the grieving widow and her children.

He took the oldest son into another room and told him that the Israelis killed his father, handed the boy the same revolver he had used to kill the boy's father and made him promise that when he grew up he would use the revolver to kill Israelis!

Now [u]that's[/u] [i][b]Chutzpah![/b][/i]

Eric The(Truthful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's yet another charming photo of the son of the Hebrew University bomber:

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020823/capt.1030073287.mideast_israel_torn_allegiances_xem107.jpg[/img]

Caption: Hamza Oudeh, 6, right, and his mother Huda, 26, sit at their house in east Jerusalem's Silwan neighborhood Thursday Aug. 22, 2002. His father, Muhammed Oudeh was arrested by Israeli police on suspicion that he planted a bomb at Jerusalem's Hebrew University. The arrest of Oudeh and three more Arab residents of east Jerusalem on charges of planting explosives has focused attention on the divided allegiances in the city at the heart of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.(AP Photo/Enric Marti)

Wonder what young Hamza wants to be when he grows up?

Eric The(No,Seriously)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
These guys aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree are they???

He shoulda watched more American TV - "Never return to the scene of the crime."

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's yet another charming photo of the son of the Hebrew University bomber:

[>]:)]
View Quote

So what's yer point Eric, in REPEATEDLY showing a pic of this kid??

To foment hatred against the kid???

Why don't you put some action to your mouth, go pick up a gun and kill the kid???

[rolleyes]

Soulzer makes the right point . You just foment hatred.

And yer good at it.
[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Soulzer makes the right point. You just foment hatred
View Quote

Huh? Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything in that message that had Soulzer critisizing Eric.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Shamayim -

Lemme explain.

Soulzer says:
View Quote

His post shows a fundamental understanding of the problem. The kid is a pawn of evil people.

Eric's post is :

Here's a picture of the kid, so your hatred can have a face to target.

My interpretation, but that's what I see and hear.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just when I was worried that Gman was sounding too pro Israeli, he returns with accusing the Hun of fomenting hatred.  .
View Quote

Well, what a logical person MIGHT conclude from that is that my problem is NOT with Israel at all. But with the viotrilic rhetoric that I read around here.

AND that people who think me not allowed to DARE to question their rhetoric and have nothing to defend their indefensible rhetoric will invariably just shout me down with charges of antiSemitism.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Post from garandman -
Eric's post is :

Here's a picture of the kid, so your hatred can have a face to target.

My interpretation, but that's what I see and hear.
View Quote

Why would folks who call themselves Christian hate a child?

Why would anyone hate this child simply for what his father did?

But why would the press, particularly the AP, continue to show this distraught family over and over and over again, and yet, particularly the AP, never run any photos of the families of the [b]FIVE DEAD YOUNG AMERICAN STUDENTS[/b]?

Why?

I mean, this picture just got published today!

Care to express your opinion on [u]that[/u], [b]garandman[/b]?

Eric The(Wise)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why would folks who call themselves Christian hate a child?

Why would anyone hate this child simply for what his father did?

[>]:)]
View Quote

that's what I keep asking myself about you, Eric.

Soulzer saw the problem.

You saw only the "POS bomber's son." REPEATEDLY.

So, you'll have to answer your OWN question, and NOT to us, Eric,  but to yourself.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't we all just get along?
[:D]

s0ulzer0 (that's like s0ul & zer0)
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Caption: Hamza Oudeh, 6, right, and his mother Huda, 26, sit at their house in east Jerusalem's Silwan neighborhood ...
View Quote

Not for long. I hear the bulldozers coming...

Maybe they'll do the world a favor and roll Papa under the treads...
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Post from garandman -
You saw only the "POS bomber's son." REPEATEDLY.
View Quote

No, [b]dim bulb[/b], that's not what I saw at all. I saw the Western Media consistently presenting the horrible 'aftermath' of the arrest of this young fellow's POS father, without bothering to show us the 'aftermath' of the POS father's brutal murder of [b]FIVE DEAD AMERICAN CITIZENS[/b] and the effects that their murders had upon their families stateside!

You can climb down off your judgmental high-horse (hmm, where have I heard that before), [b]garandman[/b], and quit assigning terrible motives where none exist.

Trust me, [b]garandman[/b], you will not be my judge in this world, nor in the world to come.

And the One Who will, specifically tells us [u]not[/u] to judge.

Well, He told me and others that, Lord knows what He told you.

Eric The(OrWhatYouThoughtYouReadHeSaid)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wonder what young Hamza wants to be when he grows up?
quote]

I imagine mom will have a hard time letting him go to the university for a higher education.

Think 'construction' young Hamza.  There's going to be a lot of buildings needing rebuilt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top