Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2002 5:20:24 AM EDT
I am looking for something for under $200 with basic features. Garmin?  Magellan?  Anybody know who has the best prices?

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out [url]http://www.jpunix.com[/url]

Mr. Perry has lots of links to GPS related stuff.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one 4 years ago, whatever one you buy make sure it is user friendly, mine had a book of directions and I still don't know how to use all the functions, it is not user friendly, it is a Garmin two, discontinued model. I hear they have easier to use models now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Garmin E Map. Lots of things it will do. Has a good database with it, and you can load all kinds of things like Marine, Topo, travel into it if you want. Works very well.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a great GPS, water-proof and backlit, with a detailed basemap.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=138047[/url]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used Loran C and later GPS and since the 80s. My first GPS was a Magellan 5000 hand held that cost over $1200.

Boy these things have really come down in price.

I currently have 2 gps units. One is a Lowrance LCX 15 mt w/GPS  fixed unit and the other a Magellan 330m hand held, both have WAAS capability. I use my Lowrance GPS primarily for fishing offshore and the Magellan as a back up, but I also use the 330m hand held in the field.

Here is a great site for GPS comparisons. These guys are the GPS gurus. They have objective reviews on most of the GPS hand helds available.

[url]joe.mehaffey.com[/url]

Here is what they have to say about the new Magellan Sport Trak Pro.

[b]The Sportrak Pro GPS appears to represent a significant step forward in WAAS enhanced GPS position accuracy.  In experiments the Pro was able to achieve 95% confidence accuracy of less than one meter on two out of the three tests we made in the open.  It also achieved its specification accuracy of 3 meters 95% of the time under moderate tree cover on all tests.  [blue]No other consumer handheld GPS  we have reviewed has achieved this accuracy.   [/blue] [/b]

full text : [url]www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html[/url]

Good luck on your selection

Joe
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
If you just want a basic GPSr then you will probably do fine with a Garmin eTrex which sells for around $110 most places.  If you want a step up, the eTrex Venture has more memory, download capabilities, and recieves WAAS corrections that will bring the accuracy down to below 20 feet.  The Venture usually sells for around $170.  

Magellan uses a different antenna design that is supposed to receive better under heavy foliage, but they cost more and aren't as user friendly.

Don't forget; without maps (and a compass) a GPSr is virtually useless. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like my Garmin EMap.  Large display that shows your location and path on a map in addition to all the normal GPS stuff.  I think I paid $175 for it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top