Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2002 5:05:41 AM EDT
I got a call lst nite from the NRA soliciting $$$ to defet the McCain gun show loophole bill.

Think its legit????

Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a letter asking for money for that. I sent them $20.
I did get a phone call yesterday from them. I told them I cant vote yet and they left me alone.
BP
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Just yesterday I think they sent a couple of guys in suits out, asking if I knew why there was such strife in the world.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I regularly get phone calls from them asking for $$$$.  Usually it goes something like this "Hello, Mr. (insert name here).  My name is cathy and I am also a member of the NRA.  I don't know if you are aware, But, there is current legislation which greatly affects your rights as a gun owner.  Wayne LaPierre has recorded a message for you to hear.  If you would, please stay on the line after Wayne's message."

Then she returns and asks for a pledge of $100, and spices it up with a "free gift" of some sort.

Anything like what you got?
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Kiwi -

BINGO - that was exactly it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kiwi -

BINGO - that was exactly it.

View Quote

Yea... I think it's legit.  I get those about twice a month.  Before I became an NRA instructor last October, and was just a member, I rarely got them.  I guess that somehow put me on a calling list or something.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone else ever wonder how much money they spend soliciting members for more money?

Wy wife and I joined, and we have been nothing but bombarded with solicitations.  I'm not renewing my membership, firstly because it would be financially irresponsible during my current financial troubles, but also because I'm not really impressed with them.  I'd rather they quit making magazines and did something worthwhile with our money.  We get two different ones and my brother gets the third, and the content is virtually identical in all of them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wy wife and I joined, and we have been nothing but bombarded with solicitations.  I'm not renewing my membership, firstly because it would be financially irresponsible during my current financial troubles, but also because I'm not really impressed with them.  I'd rather they quit making magazines and did something worthwhile with our money.  We get two different ones and my brother gets the third, and the content is virtually identical in all of them.
View Quote

I get endless solicitation letters and phone calls too, which is an annoyance, but that is the price of owning in firearm. Who would you rather have to defend you 2nd Amend rights - Chuck Schumer or Chuch Heston? There are liberals out there that are seething in anger when even the word of NRA is mentioned, you know the NRA is doing their jobs; they're not paid to be nice guys, they're paid to defend your 2nd Amend rights. Of course it is real expensive to fight lawsuits. For example just to get one page of a official court transcript of testimony costs something like $2/page. If you have 10,000 pages.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I get endless solicitation letters and phone calls too, which is an annoyance, but that is the price of owning in firearm. Who would you rather have to defend you 2nd Amend rights - Chuck Schumer or Chuch Heston? There are liberals out there that are seething in anger when even the word of NRA is mentioned, you know the NRA is doing their jobs; they're not paid to be nice guys, they're paid to defend your 2nd Amend rights. Of course it is real expensive to fight lawsuits. For example just to get one page of a official court transcript of testimony costs something like $2/page. If you have 10,000 pages.
View Quote

just to expand on that....

i'm pretty sure that the people in the NRA machinery have figured out that the mailings are cost effective and the results gleaned from the solicitations more than pay for the solicitations themselves.  otherwise, they couldn't remain in the business of protecting our 2nd amendment rights.

as for the content being nearly equal in all 3 magazines?  each magazine is geared toward a slightly different reader, but the information needs to go out to all types of NRA members, so there's bound to be overlap in some of the information. sure wouldn't make sense to have information missing from one of the publications that could help protect our 2nd amendment rights, would it?

besides, having received both the First Freedom and American Rifleman rags, i think they're pretty different.  the former is fairly focused on the political/legislative aspect of firearm ownership.  the latter focuses primarily on historical and factual aspects of firearm themselves.  not familiar with the third (American Hunter, isn't it?) but would assume it's more heavily skewed towards hunting information.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Considering the ad density, the magazines are probably "profitable".

The NRA is useful as a pressure source against antis, but probably won't help much with NFA, the 68, and 86 acts. I have not seen much about the 94 bill from them either. I bring those 4 items up every time they call me.

I gave them money to help in 2000, and signed up additional members. Now, I am waiting... [sleep]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who would you rather have to defend you 2nd Amend rights - Chuck Schumer or Chuch Heston?
View Quote

Honestly? Neither.

[url]http://www.gunownersalliance.com/moses-1.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
otherwise, they couldn't remain in the business of protecting our 2nd amendment rights.

View Quote

The key word is [b]business[/b]. Anyone know what exactly is the percentage spent on executive salaries, perks, etc. to political action programs? IMO the NRA has evolved into a mini government where those in power try to do everything possible to stay in office including CHANGING THE CHARTER RIGHT BEFORE ELECTIONS and spending members dues on their own re-election ads. If you think about it, keeping gun control in existence is in the best interest of the current NRA. No gun control= no incentive to join= no income.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
otherwise, they couldn't remain in the business of protecting our 2nd amendment rights.

View Quote

The key word is [b]business[/b]. Anyone know what exactly is the percentage spent on executive salaries, perks, etc. to political action programs? IMO the NRA has evolved into a mini government where those in power try to do everything possible to stay in office including CHANGING THE CHARTER RIGHT BEFORE ELECTIONS and spending members dues on their own re-election ads. If you think about it, keeping gun control in existence is in the best interest of the current NRA. No gun control= no incentive to join= no income.
View Quote

The NRA has the best force of firearms trainers in the USA, some of the best shoots in the USA, etc.  I think the NRA has more value besides its ILA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Please don't quit the NRA because of the constant mailing & calling! You can stop it with ONE phone call to member services. Call member services and ask to be put on LIMITED MAILING STATUS & NO CALL LIST. Bingo - no calls, no mail.

All I get now is my magazine and maybe one or two renewal notices per year. Cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny. I 've been a member for 22 years. Life memember for 7 years. I've never gotten a phone call from the NRA begging for money. The most annoying thing I get is a letter once in a while asking for money to defeat the anti-gun morons. If I don't want to give them anything I don't. If I do, I send them a check and don't expect anything in return. I don't see any anti-gun politicians shivering in their boots over anything the GOA, SCRKABA, or any othe pro-gun fringe group sez their gonna do. But when Losers like Bill Klinton say that the NRA cost the Democraps the election, I listen. So should you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys, I'm sorry, but re-read what I said.  I'm not renewing because I'm unemployed, have been for over 5 months now, and I'm barely making ends meet.  I've relied on the generous contributions of some of the memebers of this board this month so that I didn't lose my home or my car.  Sending the NRA money would be absolutely the last thing on my list of priorities.

I had to spend almost $100 on two books yesterday so that I could be ready for a tech interview tomorrow for what has been the most solid job prospect I've seen in the last two years, and I felt horrible because I was doing it with other people's money!

And that's just the financial reason why I'm doing it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
as for the content being nearly equal in all 3 magazines?  each magazine is geared toward a slightly different reader, but the information needs to go out to all types of NRA members, so there's bound to be overlap in some of the information. sure wouldn't make sense to have information missing from one of the publications that could help protect our 2nd amendment rights, would it?

besides, having received both the First Freedom and American Rifleman rags, i think they're pretty different.  the former is fairly focused on the political/legislative aspect of firearm ownership.  the latter focuses primarily on historical and factual aspects of firearm themselves.  not familiar with the third (American Hunter, isn't it?) but would assume it's more heavily skewed towards hunting information.
View Quote

I noticed in the recent American Rifleman that they have a new magazine that focuses on women and women's issues.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't get calls from the NRA anymore[rolleyes]

Just tell them that as soon as you can get their knife out of your back you will stop by and sick it up their a$$es.

Worked for me[:D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who would you rather have to defend you 2nd Amend rights - Chuck Schumer or Chuck Heston?
View Quote

Honestly? Neither.

[url]http://www.gunownersalliance.com/moses-1.htm[/url]
View Quote

Kar98: Even though I am writing this in reply to your comment, but I'm addressing it to everyone who is concerned of about their 2nd Amend rights.

You can't be serious! Chuck Schumer is not our friend from day one. Are you the same 10-20 years ago? I don't know of anyone who has never made a mistake in his whole life, me included. In Chuck Heston's younger days, he made a few. During Chuck Heston's retirement, he personally help prevent Clinton-clone Al Gore from being president. I'm sure that Chuck Heston is working harder today in his retirement than he has ever in his life. It is a lot of work traveling from city to city, state to state.

I too, would like a wife that looks like Julia Roberts, can cook, owns a gun, has money, a good homemaker, is a banshee in bed, etc; but very few woman fall into that category in the real world. I personally don't agree with the NRA 100% of the time either. Like many things in life, you can not get 100% of everything on your list. If you are not a NRA member, then what have you done in its place to help defend our 2nd Amend rights? Remember what Sen. Diane Fienstein(D-CA) said, she was being very candid and truthful on CBS's 60 Minutes said something to that effect "if I can pick up every one of those things from ordinary people, I would." I behove everyone on bugging out of the NRA to re-think their position. Politicians are basically bean counters, the more members the more likely they will listen to the organizations views.

The NRA needs money and participation, but you don't have to support the NRA thru monetary means, how about volunteering for a few hours a week campaigning for a pro-gun political candidate.

I don't mean to come down hard on people who don't contribute, but only on those who are able to. It is true that the NRA is constantly soliciting money, but they are barred by law that only certain money can be used for certain purposes. The elections in Nov could shift the political balance in the House to the Democrats, in that case, you can expect to see more anti-gun legislation federally. For those that get the American Rifleman, better the read the story on the F-Troop. Can anyone even contemplate the thought of Calif. ultra-liberal Democrat Nancy Palosie as Speaker of the House? Everyone is talking about repealing the AW ban of '94, now is the time to do something.

GodBlessTexas: study hard buddy. I hope you land that new job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top