Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2002 7:42:39 PM EDT
Anyone counting down till the new handgun licensing requirement scheme starts.  I won't be buying anything new after the first of the year so I gotta get what I want now.  All thats left is:
HK USP.45
some .357
some .44
maybe a PPK if there is time and money.

Gotta love this state. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Countdown?  Never....not us nice peace lovin' beatniks here in Kali.  We're not in favor of guns at all right?  

So pre-2003 I've still got 3 spots left and am considering a few things.  Depends on how well I can space the unemployment checks.  

a HK P7M8 is #1 if I can get the $$$ together.
Um...a revolver in 357 probably.  
Probably another glock, since my wife is getting picky about me using hers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
[:(]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[:(]
View Quote

[;)]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Y'know, at some point in the future, all the Kali gun control bs is going to come crashing down, just like it will in Britain and Australia.  Remember prohibition?  We only have a little of that crap left today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Y'know, at some point in the future, all the Kali gun control bs is going to come crashing down, just like it will in Britain and Australia.  Remember prohibition?  We only have a little of that crap left today.
View Quote

God I pray it does. I want to someday retire or go back to CA. But right now FL is looking good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It sure seems that way....

I bought an HK USP 45 full-size

and i'm hoping to get the following before the end of the year:

Springfield Trophy Match

HK USP 40 full-size

Coly Python (Back in production & Cali approved)

Maybe a S&W 686 too...??

My wife wants a Colt Cowboy (if they approve it before the end of the year).
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what will the new laws be now?
View Quote

Wolfpack, how are the laws there in NV?  Any of that crap from Comifornia spilling over?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what will the new laws be now?
View Quote

Handling test, 5 yr. liscence, thumbprint for each purchase, and of course new fees.  Might be other stuff as well.

Anyway, any excuse to make more purchases. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't this doing their job for them?  

Instead of passing an outright ban, they'll just make it harder to get a handgun.  That way we all get pissed off and refuse to buy anything else.  

Who does that hurt?  Who does that help?  Whose agenda does that promote?

When no gun stores are even stocking handguns anymore and the gun show circuit is even more wilted, who will be able to consider themselves the victor?

I don't like these laws.  I'm trying to move out of CA.  But if I'm still here next year and I want a handgun, I'm going to jump through their stupid hoops and get one.  They must not be allowed to win so easily.

That being said, I will be at the gun show in San Jose this weekend looking for a good deal on a Valtro, Les Baer TRS, or maybe even a Wilson CQB.

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
California will officially have stricter gun control than Canada... sad isn't it?

Good luck you guys
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't this doing their job for them?  

View Quote

Actually it has turned out quite the opposite.  Because if these laws I have purchased as many guns as it would have taken me years to getting around to if they never passed them.

Hell, with the "assault weapon" ban I have four friends who bought an average of two each that they NEVER would have purchased without the ban looming.  Plus at the range soon after the ban passed there were many people with military style rifles.  I'd say a good 75% that I talked to purchased strictly due to the ban.

It is called the law of Unintended Consequences.[:)]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
....and everyone busts on New Jersey?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm trying to buy 'em as often as the calendar (and the bank account) will let me.

California sucks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
....and everyone busts on New Jersey?
View Quote

Hey, at least we still don't have to get permission from the local constable to purchase one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Huh? Say what? Licensing scheme???

I'm gone for, what, only 7.5 years & look what happens! Good grief! What is this licensing scheme? Who concocted it, & what is it supposed to fix (that wasn't even broken to start with)?

What the [devil] is going on down there?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI :  [url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.

[size=1]1.  A fee schedule (what to do with the money from all the
registration & licensing schemes, including legal action against
gun owners),

_Five year Plan:_
_Licenses:_

1  National Licensing of all Handgun purchases
    This is at the top of our list, however, the political climate may
    be right to initiate this step immediately.  Please refer to our
    memo outlining our ideas on how this should be executed.

2  License for Rifle and Shotguns
    We should take our cues from Great Britain.  Strict licensing
    should be mandatory for all firearms, whether handguns or not.

3  State Licenses for ownership of firearms

a)  Handgun License Fees:
Year 1 to 2:  
Program can begin at a relatively low cost to discourage non-compliance:
_Suggested Fee Schedule:_      _$50 - $75 annual fee_

Year 3 to 4:
Fees would be raised to reflect the cost of enforcement and discourage new
ownership:
_Suggested Fee Schedule:_      _$150 - $250 annual fee_

Year 5 to 8:
If private ownership has not been prohibited by this time then fees can be
gradually increased to discourage private ownership:
_Suggested Fee Schedule:_      _$550 - $625 annual fee_

[b]IV. _Reduction of Gun Owner Population and Potential Yearly Revenue_[/b]

V. _Possible Uses for the Revenue:_

(A)  Institute a _mandatory_ national and comprehensive educational campaign
in the public schools (K-12) to de-glamourize guns and gun ownership and to
tell the truth about the 2nd Amendment (that it does not address an individual
right but a community right) and the years of NRA propaganda to the contrary.
(B)  A well funded and concerted campaign to add credence to the calls for
eliminating the 2nd amendment entirely via constitutional amendment.
(C)  Provide a revenue source for the cost of enforcement of the new laws by
Federal and State Law enforcement officials.
(D)  Provide an offsetting monetary fund to provide medical services and
legal services to victims of gun violence.
(E)  Establish a nationwide system of toll free numbers for reporting
violators of the new gun restrictions and non-licensees.  A certain sum may
be set aside for cash rewards for tips which result in conviction.[/size=1]

^[size=1]
[url]www.cures-not-wars.org/[/url] Truth Will Liberate Earth.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/[/url]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY Human Implant Micro-chip

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR
[/size=1]
FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Only a few more I want if I can come up with the funds. . .

Glock 27 (.40 cal compact) to go with my model 35.

A Desert Eagle in .50AE just because  :-)

A nice 1911 model .45 just because I don't have one.

That's it for now.

(this list subject to change without notice)
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
We'll, my unemployment checks were used productively this year.

Springfield "Parkerized" PX9109L
CZ 75B

I am planning on an S&W 629 .44 mag and hopefully a Wilson Combat 1911 before the end of the year.

Add to that what I already have, and I should be okay for a few years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Matt,

Where do you buy your stuff around here?  I just picked up a P99 from traders cause they had them for $499, but I don't like to go there if there aren't any sales.  Last couple I've gotten from Hogan's.  My wife and brother really like the manager/owner there, though it is often a little more pricey than I like.  I've picked up a couple from Canyon, but I get a weird vibe in there sometimes.  I might get my .44 or .357 used from the shop in downtown Walnut Creek.  They had a model 29 in the old wooden box there not too long ago.  Where have you been getting your toys?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Good Grief! I get angry with some of the crap going on in the state I live in but thank God I don't have to deal with the lunacy in Kali! can someone explain to me the attraction of living there?? Please!
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good Grief! I get angry with some of the crap going on in the state I live in but thank God I don't have to deal with the lunacy in Kali! can someone explain to me the attraction of living there?? Please!
View Quote

Um, the weather.  that's about all I can think of.  NV and AZ are looking better all the time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I tried since the beginning of the year but between paying for school and a few other things it just isn't possible.  Between now and the end of the year I'm going to be getting a few guns that I wanted for CCW and if possible a 1911.

Because of the huge fee attached to the license I'm unsure if I'm going to bother with it.  $50 or $60 I think...maybe more.  And I thought it had to be renewed every 2 or 3 years.  If it is 5 maybe I'll rethink doing it, problem is its a pain and waste of time.  I wouldn't mind the whole banning of guns if they'd at least be honest about it.  I mean quit with the freakin' "safety" crap and just flat out say you want to ban guns...
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey Matt,

Where do you buy your stuff around here?  I just picked up a P99 from traders cause they had them for $499, but I don't like to go there if there aren't any sales.  Last couple I've gotten from Hogan's.  My wife and brother really like the manager/owner there, though it is often a little more pricey than I like.  I've picked up a couple from Canyon, but I get a weird vibe in there sometimes.  I might get my .44 or .357 used from the shop in downtown Walnut Creek.  They had a model 29 in the old wooden box there not too long ago.  Where have you been getting your toys?
View Quote

I use a guy who sells out of his home in Martinez. He's totally cool, doesn't rip you off, very friendly guy (ex LEO).

If you're interested, I'll IM you his e-mail address and you can tell him I sent you. He can get just about anything you want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Matt, I used that guy a couple of times and he's alright, but he bumped his prices this year.  I use a guy in antioch now.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:53:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Oh, how it amuses me (although it is somewhat frightening) to watch you idiots scurry about, frantically trying to purchase as many implements of evil you can with the income we allow you to keep before we make you submit to our rational pre-purchase requirements before granting you the privilege.  

Yes, yes, please, don't buy any more handguns after the first of the year.  The gun stores that still have the audacity to conduct business are like the naturally drug resistant mutants in any colony of bacteria.  Quite stubborn and difficult to eradicate.  So, like any good scientist, we've changed our treatments.  We will now drive them out of our state by using their very customers!

muhahahaha!  I wallow in the sheer poetic justice of the notion that you are going to cut off your own access to firearms for us!  Not only do many of you seem to be submitting to the ultimate reason of our ways (i.e., realizing that weapons, while technically still legal, are no longer tolerated), but the gun stores will start folding quickly once a large source of the revenue (evil baby killing handguns) quit selling.

As such, I feel that a word of thanks is actually due to you, the stupid gun owners of our otherwise great state.  Thank you.  With your cooperation our plans for utopia will advance just that much quicker.  

Sure, buy lots of pistols now.  How long will they last?  You're never going to want any more?  What about new shooters you attempt to indoctrinate into your evil ways?  Be a shame for them because the gun stores won't stock handguns anymore!  hahaha...that's if they're even still in business.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh, how it amuses me (although it is somewhat frightening) to watch you idiots scurry about, frantically trying to purchase as many implements of evil you can with the income we allow you to keep before we make you submit to our rational pre-purchase requirements before granting you the privilege.  

Yes, yes, please, don't buy any more handguns after the first of the year.  The gun stores that still have the audacity to conduct business are like the naturally drug resistant mutants in any colony of bacteria.  Quite stubborn and difficult to eradicate.  So, like any good scientist, we've changed our treatments.  We will now drive them out of our state by using their very customers!

muhahahaha!  I wallow in the sheer poetic justice of the notion that you are going to cut off your own access to firearms for us!  Not only do many of you seem to be submitting to the ultimate reason of our ways (i.e., realizing that weapons, while technically still legal, are no longer tolerated), but the gun stores will start folding quickly once a large source of the revenue (evil baby killing handguns) quit selling.

As such, I feel that a word of thanks is actually due to you, the stupid gun owners of our otherwise great state.  Thank you.  With your cooperation our plans for utopia will advance just that much quicker.  

Sure, buy lots of pistols now.  How long will they last?  You're never going to want any more?  What about new shooters you attempt to indoctrinate into your evil ways?  Be a shame for them because the gun stores won't stock handguns anymore!  hahaha...that's if they're even still in business.  
View Quote

You ain't funny dude.  Go back to the Kofi Annan persona.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#30]
It won't matter if we stop buying after Jan 1, as the goons in Sacramento are doing their level best to drive out firearms companies from doing business here (or make it too damned expensive for us to buy their products).

From the LA Times. The site requires registration, so that's why the cut-and-paste.

Senate Passes Gun Liability Bill

Capitol: The measure would revoke immunity of manufacturers to lawsuits over deaths, injuries or damage.

By CARL INGRAM, TIMES STAFF WRITER

SACRAMENTO -- The Senate narrowly voted Wednesday to strip gun manufacturers of their exemption from liability for the damage and death that can result from firearms. Supporters of the bill said gun makers should be held responsible for their products, as are the manufacturers of many other goods in California, from cribs to lawnmowers._ _
_ _
Approval of the bill marked a leap forward for gun control advocates, whose initial campaign to strip away gun makers' 19- year-old liability exemption stalled last year.

On a party-line 22-13 vote, one more than needed in the 40-member Senate, AB 496 by Assemblyman Paul Koretz (D-West Hollywood) was passed and returned to the Assembly for approval of Senate amendments.

The Assembly, meantime, is expected to vote soon on an identical bill, SB 682, by Sen. Don Perata (D-Alameda), a leading gun control advocate. The proposals are sponsored by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
A spokesman for Gov. Gray Davis said the governor has not taken a position on the bills.

In his first year in office, Davis signed several far-reaching gun control bills, then imposed a moratorium on comprehensive new firearms laws. He has signed only a few bills since then.

The immunity legislation would have the effect of overturning a ruling last year by the state Supreme Court. The court upheld the gun manufacturers' shield against product liability challenges for damage caused by criminals and others who misuse firearms.

The ruling came in a case filed by survivors and relatives of those who were shot in a massacre at a San Francisco high-rise law office in 1993. Armed with a pair of semiautomatic pistols capable of firing 32 rounds each without reloading, the gunman, Gian Luigi Ferri, killed eight people and wounded six. As police closed in, Ferri killed himself. The plaintiffs sued the manufacturer of the guns, Navegar Inc., for damages, noting that the two TEC-DC9 pistols were knockoffs of assault weapons that had been outlawed in California.

When the case reached the high court, justices ruled in favor of Navegar, saying the company was properly protected by the industry's exemption. If the Legislature wanted to change it, it was empowered to do so, the court said.

The immunity law essentially says that guns and ammunition are exempt from product liability attacks because the value of their benefits outweighs their potential for causing serious injury, damage or death.

During debate, Perata insisted Wednesday that the bill was not "aimed at taking anyone's gun away," but was intended to hold gun manufacturers legally accountable for their products in the same fashion as other manufacturers are held liable. He said Navegar made appeals to criminals in the promotion of the TEC-DC9, including advertising it as "fingerprint resistant" and "able to fire without aiming."

But Republicans, led by Sen. Ray Haynes (R-Riverside), attacked the plan as another assault on gun ownership and an attempt to pin the blame for misuse of guns by criminals on the manufacturers. "What we are saying here is that it is not the criminal's fault; it is the manufacturer's fault," Haynes argued. "This takes the issue of personal responsibility and turns it on its ear."

Sen. Jack Scott (D-Altadena), whose adult son was killed in an accidental shooting several years ago, countered that guns kill 30,000 Americans a year. "If you do something that is irresponsible and terribly harmful to the public, there is a price to pay," Scott said.

The bill was supported by the Million Mom March, the city and county of Los Angeles, California police chiefs, trial lawyers and various medical and health organizations. It was opposed by the California Rifle and Pistol Assn., the National Rifle Assn. and other gun-owner organizations. The National Shooting Sports Federation, a trade organization that says it represents the firearms industry, did not take a position on the bill. Its officials were unavailable for comment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:14:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I think CA. is lost, no chance for it, it is a done deal, the fringe groups have won, time to write it off as a loss.If you want to have freedoms, you will have to move to a free zone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top