Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2001 5:36:33 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting a nice Beretta 686 or Browning in the near future, but I caught the CDNN ad in the latest Shotgun News about the Fabarm/HK O/U shotguns.  I was going to spend close to $1000 locally, but for a little more, I could get 2 of the Fabarm guns (I was considering the lightweight and the 3 1/2" gun).  I have a Rem. 870 Express Turkey, and a Beretta AL390 (both very nice guns) and an old Win. SxS (I believe it is the model 24--definitely not the more collectable 21), but wanted to get a nice O/U gun (again--I had an inexpensive Italian gun I sold to my brother a few years back, but it shot well and mounted nicely).

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Fabarm guns (I know all about the HK marked Benelli guns--they are very well made, and I am assuming that HK wouldn't put their name on something that was not).

Or, maybe I should wait for the Speshul Weapons model to come out??

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a "fabarm" red lion. I thought it would be good cause it's distributied by H&K. Oh how I wish I would have listened to my friends. It wasn't very expensive and came with 4 chokes and a nice case. I seems to be made cheaply as hell. Plastic everywhere. I didn't realize it, it didn't say anywhere on the box or book, but it only holds 3 shells!!!! It jammed till I took out my dremel and polished it, it works good now. On the positive side it is VERY light. And it was cheap. The other models are not so cheap. I wouldn't take a chance in my opionion. Stick with whats tried and true.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I just re-read your post and remember seeing that same article. I remember thinking about what a bunch of BS it was. RUN! Save yourself! Sometimes you get what you pay for, and less. Reading this post made me relive the ripped off feeling I got when I realized what a big mistake I made.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Gitarmac,

A couple of questions--If I remember right, the Red Lion is a semi-auto?

I am not adverse to plastic on a gun (witness an AR-15, Benelli M1, HK USP, etc.), but I hate to see it used to save a few pennies (the selector switch, trigger guard only, etc.).  

How much is "wasn't very expensive"?

I hesitate to ask, but did you check to see if the magazine is plugged--my Rem. 870 only holds 3 rounds (1 in chamber, 2 in mag) with the factory plug in place, but holds 3 more in the mag when I remove the plug--most hunting shotguns are required by law to only have 3 shells max.

One more question--how would you compare the overall fit and finish to a comparable autoloader (such as a Rem 11-87 or Beretta AL390)?

Thanks,

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it's not plugged, it's just a little bitty magazine. The trigger housing is plastic along with some of the other stuff. It was about 425 bucks when all was said and done. Yep it's a semi. The finish was ok I guess but I always have to have my stocks cut down to fit me, which was easy in this case because there are no parts in the stock, as opposed to some other brands. But the real kicker was how I had to polish and grind it to get it not to jam. It has a little screw in bead at the end which catches on everything. I put some truglow stick on sights on the rib, they work great! I have to check it after I shoot it a few times. Some of the pins almost worked out. They regularly come loose. If they ever come out I don't think I'll be able to get them back in again, they hold little microscopic springs to the catch that keeps the shells in, stuff like that. It's way lighter than all my friends shotguns, a lot easier to lug around. And it's easy to take apart, a nice simple gun. I'm making the best of it but I wish I would have just waited and saved more money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Two of my co-workers bought Black Lions a little while back. All I can say is that they look nice,come up like a dream and shoot better than I ever will.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't it just hold 3 rounds also? I think the red lion is the bottom of the barrel. The others might be better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top