Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2012 1:26:32 PM EDT
So what is the law in CT in regards to firearms? Friendly, non friendly?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
the brady bunch ranks them 5th if that means anything

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
About to post the same question

Don't they have an assault weapons ban?

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

permanent AWB.

permit required to even purchase handguns, but if you have then it's cash and carry.

14 day waiting period for long guns unless you have a permit, then it's cash and carry.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally onerous.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun? Did he live in CT or NJ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to the NRA's web site for more info.  I have been posting their informaiton on every news site I can find.  Because I'm tired of all the ignorant BS put out by the media.

Connecticut;
Permit to Purchase= Rifles: No*, Handguns: Yes
Registration of Firearms= Rifles:Yes**, Handguns:No
Licensing of Owners= Rifles: No. Handguns: Yes
* 2-week waiting period.
** "Assault Weapons".
No person shall possess any "assault weapon" unless that person possessed that firearm before October 1, 1993 and received a certificate of possession from the Connecticut State Police prior to July 1994. The commissioner of public safety shall maintain a file of all certificates of transfer at the central office.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

permanent AWB.

permit required to even purchase handguns, but if you have then it's cash and carry.

14 day waiting period for long guns unless you have a permit, then it's cash and carry.
pretty much this

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm
We have an AWB no sunset since 1994, no magazine limit, pistol permits required to carry outside the home. Pistol permit or Eligibility certificate required to purchase handguns. Waiting period to purchase rifles, waved if one has a pistol permit, EC or several other documents/permits. Does not recognize other state's pistol permits, but does have a non resident permit available.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have an AWB no sunset since 1994, no magazine limit, pistol permits required to carry outside the home. Pistol permit or Eligibility certificate required to purchase handguns. Waiting period to purchase rifles, waved if one has a pistol permit, EC or several other documents/permits. Does not recognize other state's pistol permits, but does have a non resident permit available.

Can you have a pre 1994 AR/AK? Any semi-auto rifle?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I think 21 to buy a handgun is federal law. Connecticut laws really suck if you don't have a CCW, but if you do they just suck a lot. Getting a CCW isn't difficult in most towns, unlike my native state of Maryland, where it's all but impossible.
No AK 47s in 7.62x39, evil feature count on semi-auto rifles, blah blah. Frankly, I don't care about flash hiders and bayonet lugs, but the whole idea of banning prticular guns based on largely cosmetic items is silly. However, if the antis had any clue as to w2hat they were and weren't banning, they'd come out with some even more draconian laws.

BTW, did anybody ever figure out what Barbara Boxer's  "shoulder thing that goes up" is?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, the only "room for improvements" in CT are::
1) magazine capacity limits - feel good measure that's gonna just make life a PITA for anyone owning a full size semi-auto that carries 13+
2) mandatory waiting periods even with CCW being a requirement - you gotta admit, it's another feel good measure that "could save just one life!"
3) one gun a month laws - "why would you need to buy more than 1 unless you're up to no good"
4) Addition of the word "type" to every banned by name firearms in our current AWB

(2) and (3) are just a nuisance. (1) is a royal pain in the fucking ass. (4) is downright asinine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
so no magazine limit?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#13]
AWB very similar to the old federal one but with different wording regarding prebans, also worded very strongly against AKs, no mag restrictions
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw on cnn the weapons were "registered" to his mother.  she lives in jersey.

Here in Texas we have no such animal as this "registered" so i'm not entirely certain who does the registering in Jersey.   Fox and others are also reporting the shooters brother as having Aspergers syndrome which is a form of autism.  This guy should not have had a firearm to begin with.   no new law needed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here in Texas we have no such animal as this "registered" so i'm not entirely certain who does the registering in Jersey.   Fox and others are also reporting the shooters brother as having Aspergers syndrome which is a form of autism.  This guy should not have had a firearm to begin with.   no new law needed.

handguns require a permit in NJ

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

handguns require a permit in NJ

Permit to purchase.
One gun a month in effect here too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't matter

He left the AR in the car

Free

Quoted:
About to post the same question

Don't they have an assault weapons ban?

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#18]
So a CT resident can't legally purchase a new Colt AR-15 or NHMTG magazine, both of which are manufactured in CT?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So a CT resident can't legally purchase a new Colt AR-15 or NHMTG magazine, both of which are manufactured in CT?

new mags are good to go in CT. ARs need to be neutered if they are new
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hope to god if he was autistic that his fetish (most of them have some sort of passion) was NOT guns. It would be a sad situation if his mom bought him the guns as toys to stimulate his autistic fascination with them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Just no Colts for the most part, no AK in 7.62x39.  AK in any other caliber is ok.

Full auto colts and AK-47's are ok
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Just no Colts for the most part, no AK in 7.62x39.  AK in any other caliber is ok.

For some reason, I suspect dealers are going to be a little more cautious of their interpretation of "type" in our AWB purely as a CYA measure. God forbid that evil black WOODEN rifle was used in a crime and they were the ones who sold it. AR's on the other hand, I don't know. I think they are too profitable to pass up selling.

I'm curious to see if the guys behind the counter in gun shops act a little differently towards customers for a little while. I can't recall CT having an event like this, ever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, the only "room for improvements" in CT are::
1) magazine capacity limits - feel good measure that's gonna just make life a PITA for anyone owning a full size semi-auto that carries 13+
2) mandatory waiting periods even with CCW being a requirement - you gotta admit, it's another feel good measure that "could save just one life!"
3) one gun a month laws - "why would you need to buy more than 1 unless you're up to no good"
4) Addition of the word "type" to every banned by name firearms in our current AWB

(2) and (3) are just a nuisance. (1) is a royal pain in the fucking ass. (4) is downright asinine.

This.

We have machineguns, silencers, DD's, SBR's, SBS's, AOW's, etc, etc.

Concealed carry laws are excellent.  About the only place you cannot carry are schools and the capitol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
so no magazine limit?

none.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason, I suspect dealers are going to be a little more cautious of their interpretation of "type" in our AWB purely as a CYA measure. God forbid that evil black WOODEN rifle was used in a crime and they were the ones who sold it. AR's on the other hand, I don't know. I think they are too profitable to pass up selling.

I'm curious to see if the guys behind the counter in gun shops act a little differently towards customers for a little while. I can't recall CT having an event like this, ever.

We will see.  We had that massacare that everybody in the media forgot about because the shooter was a black guy on a racist anti-white rampage who killed 10 old men two years ago in manchester....
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We will see.  We had that massacare that everybody in the media forgot about because the shooter was a black guy on a racist anti-white rampage who killed 10 old men two years ago in manchester....

Damn. I didn't even know. Goes to show how stories like this fall through the cracks, never to be unearthed, because they don't fit the media's agenda.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. I didn't even know. Goes to show how stories like this fall through the cracks, never to be unearthed, because they don't fit the media's agenda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Distributors_shooting

This one gets forgotten about whenever recent massacares are listed.  10 dead.  Racist rampage.

This was in my hometown.  I drove right by it as it was occurring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure about the gun laws in CT but I'll go out on a limb and speculate that shooting people is against the law there except in a very narrow range of circumstances.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sure you do, haven't you seen the documentary film "Red Dawn."
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The AWB is a pain in the ass, but could be worse. Essentially, if you want to have a new AR, it cannot have more than a certain number of "evil" features listed in the bill. When I brought my AR back from AZ (a new production Spikes with a 16" barrel and collapsible stock)  all I had to do was remove some of the evil features to make it OK. I pinned the stock, removed the flash hider and replaced it with a pinned bake, and then I ground off the bayo lug. BAM. CT legal carbine.

Preban lowers are valued here because you can have as many evil features ( collapsible stock being the big one) as you want, as if you lived in any free state.

ETA:  Also, handguns are registered, or at least no sale is legal until paperwork signed by both parties is submitted to the DPS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The AWB is a pain in the ass, but could be worse. Essentially, if you want to have a new AR, it cannot have more than a certain number of "evil" features listed in the bill. When I brought my AR back from AZ (a new production Spikes with a 16" barrel and collapsible stock)  all I had to do was remove some of the evil features to make it OK. I pinned the stock, removed the flash hider and replaced it with a pinned bake, and then I ground off the bayo lug. BAM. CT legal carbine.

Preban lowers are valued here because you can have as many evil features ( collapsible stock being the big one) as you want, as if you lived in any free state.

ETA:  Also, handguns are registered, or at least no sale is legal until paperwork signed by both parties is submitted to the DPS.

arms-length handgun transfers are registered.

I inherited a half dozen handguns that the state of CT can go blow themselves over.

You can also move to CT with firearms previously owned in another state without any registration.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I inherited a half dozen handguns that the state of CT can go blow themselves over.

You can also move to CT with firearms previously owned in another state without any registration.

Technically only Assault Weapons and Machine Guns are registered. But realistically everything bought with a DPS-3c is "known about."

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nope. NJ now has (since IL appeals ruling) the most restrictive gun laws in the US. No "assault rifles", no "high capacity" mags over 15 rounds FPID required for any gun purchase, pistol permit required for each and every handgun purchase. Besides, mom was from CT and all firearms were registered to her there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically only Assault Weapons and Machine Guns are registered. But realistically everything bought with a DPS-3c is "known about."

I want a machinegun.  Hey you coming to the CT HTF shoot on the 23rd in Wolcott?

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey, get this shit......

If you own a machinegun in CT, it has to be Full-Auto or bust only.  Can't select between Semi and auto/burst.

The stupid libs though they were banning machine-guns when they banned "select fire", and ended up stepping on their cocks, but gave us one of the more interesting machinegun laws on the books in the USA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I want a machinegun. Hey you coming to the CT HTF shoot on the 23rd in Wolcott?

So do I.

Highly unlikely, family is flying in from all over.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey, get this shit......

If you own a machinegun in CT, it has to be Full-Auto or bust only.  Can't select between Semi and auto/burst.

The stupid libs though they were banning machine-guns when they banned "select fire", and ended up stepping on their cocks, but gave us one of the more interesting machinegun laws on the books in the USA.

Yep. Obviously incompetent, full auto is ok but select fire is evil CT law. FAO is fine but, if it can cut a burst or a single shot in addition to full auto, it must be the work of satan.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
About the only place you cannot carry are schools and the capitol.

Coincidence?

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
About the only place you cannot carry are schools and the capitol.

Coincidence?

the school thing is actually a debate-able topic, there would be signs stating something to the effect that only licensed people can carry on school grounds, and having a CCW is a license to carry, however i don't know anybody who wants to be the test case for that one....
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Concealed carry laws are excellent.  About the only place you cannot carry are schools and the capitol.

We do not have any "concealed carry" laws. As of now, we do not have any state law/statute that mandates method of carry.
Quoted:
the school thing is actually a debate-able topic, there would be signs stating something to the effect that only licensed people can carry on school grounds, and having a CCW is a license to carry, however i don't know anybody who wants to be the test case for that one....

CCW license? CT does not have a CCW license. What we have is a "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". Take a look at the CT Pistol Permit,  the word "conceal" is not mentioned anywhere on it. Method of carry is not proscribed in the state statutes. We can carry concealed or openly.

In addition to the Hartford Beer distributor shooting in 2010 mentioned above, there is also the Conneticut Lottery Shooting that occurred on March 6, 1998. Lottery employee Matt Beck who was armed with a 9mm Glock pistol with a 19-round magazine, shot and killed four people before he shot and killed himself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ironic ain't it?

I wonder who the mother and son voted for in the last election?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:50:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one gets forgotten about whenever recent massacares are listed.  10 dead.  Racist rampage.

Such a good looking kid too, guess that racism sure pisses off people when caught on video stealing!
I believe his mother pursed the w"workplace racism" angle too...

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, it isn't debatable.  Possession on school grounds is a Class D felony. There used to be an exception for permit holders. Not so anymore.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's another "fun with CT firearm laws" moment...
If you have an Short Barred Rifle (SBR) that has a barrel shorter 12 inches, the state considers it a pistol. According to the state definition of a pistol, they define it as "any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches". And the state defines a firearm as "any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged." So its possible that your "rifle" could also be a "pistol" at the same time.
Pistol or Revolver
Firearm  

Another fun fact. CT is ranked #5 on the Brady Campaign 2011 state rankings list. Which puts us behind only four other states; New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and California.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link, I never heard a peep about this.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn't debatable.  Possession on school grounds is a Class D felony. There used to be an exception for permit holders. Not so anymore.

Actually one can carry on school grounds if one is "privileged" to do so.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/Chap952.htm#Sec53a-217b.htm
Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person's employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer's official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.

There is also a 2006 Office of Legal Research paper on possession of weapon on school grounds in which they state the following:

While a teacher or staff-member would be prohibited from bringing a gun to school without the district's permission, the statute appears to allow him to do so pursuant to an agreement with said district.

The OLR paper follows that up with; "a cursory review of related board of education policies reveals that this practice would generally be prohibited by school districts." So while the law does carve out the ability for staff/teachers to carry if the school allows them to do so, generally staff/teachers are prevented from doing so by board of education policies.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Funny how they got all these long waiting periods on purchasing guns, and it didn't stop a guy from mowing down a bunch of children.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Funny how they got all these long waiting periods on purchasing guns, and it didn't stop a guy from mowing down a bunch of children.

Which shows the fallacy of the Brady bunch's argument and the the cries for another federal AWB. None of what they have suggested would have prevented this or many past spree killings. As previously mentioned CT is ranked 5th in the nation when it comes to restrictive gun laws according to the Brady bunch. Yet they continue to call for more. What this horrible tragedy shows is that sadly no amount of laws will prevent someone from killing others. There is no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube when it comes to banning all firearms. The genie is out of the bottle.

Elsewhere (on an other gun board possibly) there was a picture posted that showed the murderer violated upwards of 41 state laws when he went on his killing spree. Yet the liberal solution is to call for more laws...
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which shows the fallacy of the Brady bunch's argument and the the cries for another federal AWB. None of what they have suggested would have prevented this or many past spree killings. As previously mentioned CT is ranked 5th in the nation when it comes to restrictive gun laws according to the Brady bunch. Yet they continue to call for more. What this horrible tragedy shows is that sadly no amount of laws will prevent someone from killing others. There is no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube when it comes to banning all firearms. The genie is out of the bottle.

Elsewhere (on an other gun board possibly) there was a picture posted that showed the murderer violated upwards of 41 state laws when he went on his killing spree. Yet the liberal solution is to call for more laws...

Yup...
at least CT has or had no sales tax on gun safes
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#50]
The picture I was refering to in my previous post is from Liberal Logic 101...
The Face of Abject Stupidity…

And then there are these two...
Disarming the victims…

Teenagers…

Posted edited to remove broken picture links.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top