Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2001 2:26:49 PM EDT
What kind of hair gel do you use?

This is a serious question..

I am getting sick of this white flakes mine leaves behind, I've had it!

I'm currently using LA LOOKS #5 Mega Mega Hold, finished off with LA LOOKS #4 Mega Hold hair spray.. The flakes are beyond beliefe(sp?).

Every kind I've tried, from LA Looks, and DEP, to fairly spendy salon brands still leaves those flakes..

Does anyone know of a super strong gel, mouse, wax, etc. and or spray that does NOT leave those white flakes??

All help VERY much apprciated!

The Great Captain Obvious
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard 10W30 in the winter 10W40 during the summer. [@:D]
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
real men shave thier heads. no need for that sissy jel crap[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Then I'm a sissy...

Notice when I said, "This is a serious question".....

Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Captain,

I use Conair Shine, mega hold styling gel and Shine, super hold hair spray. You won't have flakes as this stuff is formulated to prevent them. It works quite well in styling my spiked hair style and I have nearly an inch and a half of hair on top.

You can find the Conair Shine stuff at Wally World pretty cheap.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
real men shave thier heads. no need for that sissy jel crap[}:D]
View Quote

High and tight or none at all![:D]
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:
Then I'm a sissy...

Notice when I said, "This is a serious question".....

View Quote

well the other day you couldn't wait to use that name for fun. so serious or not, summer's near so just shave it. much easier to wash & dry then your out the door
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry if i'm kinda "snippy" had a bad couple days...

Edited to say: Shaving my head is not an option..hehehe..sorry  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I am so damn poor that I have to use the whites of the thrown out cracked eggs I find in the grocery store dumpster.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I am so damn poor that I have to use the whites of the thrown out cracked eggs I find in the grocery store dumpster.
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
TTT
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

you know that's more then likely the best & most natural stuff to use[:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

you know that's more then likely the best & most natural stuff to use[:D]
View Quote

Ever see, "Something About Marry"?
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
TTT
View Quote

did you try an go down to the local girlie hair saloon. ask them what to use, i know most shops have some light& fancy not-flaking stuff they use especially on people how are having photo's taken that day.  

don't laugh or ask, did you forget i live in ny.where all those high-class C.A. people with thier answers
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
b.t.w. just how much of this stuff are you using at time. would the valdes alaskan oil spill look like a can spilled beer compared to your head?

never seen the whole movie
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Stiff enough so it can't mess up, or extreamly hard to mess up. LA LOOKS does a damn good job of that, execpt I just can't stand the flakes..

Did you see the part of the movie then the guy who was looking for marry, found her, and they went out on a date?

The hair gel incident.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you know that's more then likely the best & most natural stuff to use
View Quote

Some people might disagree w/ ya there...
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I had to laugh when I saw the subject, but here I am answering.  My wife is a cosmetologist...she say's to walk into a salon and ask the girls there, they can tell what hair type you have, and recommend stuff.  Almost all the stuff you get from grocery stores will dry and flake because it has cheap ingredients like alcohol.  Or try using "leave in conditioner" instead of gel and see how that works.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried this 16 dollar for 5oz stuff, called redline or something like that. Got it from a salon.. pretty girly one too... left no flakes, but isnt very strong.... I'll be heading back there i guess.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Wore a burr for 15 years, now I shave my head, so I never have used the stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#19]
It's the dandruff that gives the flakes, or the spray. I've never had gel give flakes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I do not have dandruff. I can assure you that.

When I use the gel alone, i get tons of flakes.

when I use the spray alome, i get tons of flakes

When I use the gel and the spray i get even more flakes

When I use nothing, not one flake.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Just a question about hair gel...

You wear a tampon with that???

Well do ya???

BIOOOOOOTCH!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a gel but a leave-in conditioner.

[size=6][blue]Infusium 23[/size=6][/blue]

Makes your hair real shiny and healthy looking. No flakes either and does not have a cheap perfume smell.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]
what's your email address and i'll email you some info on a great product.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have flakes, you have to ditch the 2 dollar crap. Try some bigger name brands, like Tresseme, or another new brand called Sexy Hair. They have a gel made by Sexy Hair called Hard Up. I know the name it a little odd, but it works well, leaves no flakes, and holds like a mother.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Try a pomade (like a wax).  Looks and holds like gel, but doesnt make your hair crunchy and flaky.  There are a few different brands, paul mitchell, crew, et al.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well do ya???

BIOOOOOOTCH!
View Quote

I suppose you'd call me a fag if I told you that I buy the magazine GQ (Gentalmens Quarterly) every month? Well, I do, anything wrong with being a yuppie?? (but PRO gun)...

ARLady, my email is [email protected]

Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#27]
[%|]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well do ya???

BIOOOOOOTCH!
View Quote

ROTFLMGDAO [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]
After I make my sandwiches, I just pour the remaining TUNA OIL into my hand and give my hair the treatment.
My hair stays in place all day long, and the women gimme that "knowing smile" when they get a whiff...
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]

I suppose you'd call me a fag if I told you that I buy the magazine GQ (Gentalmens Quarterly) every month?

Thanks...
View Quote

Well, since you mentioned it, yes...
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I suppose you'd call me a fag if I told you that I buy the magazine GQ (Gentalmens Quarterly) every month?

Thanks...
View Quote

Well, since you mentioned it, yes...
View Quote

Cute... (just for the record... I'm not...)
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:10:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Were I live haircuts are $7. At Wal-Mart, hair clippers are $15.  I learned a long time ago that if my hair needs combing it is then time to cut it.

This is one funny thread...LOL

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#33]
CPT OBVIOUS: don't feel too bad - even here in the Army we got guys who use hair gel. If you think you are getting flack on this board here, imagine the stuff these guys get daily - especially when drinking is going on. A high and tight or shaved head just isn't for everyone, I guess. Works for me though. PLus I get too laugh at the pretty boys when they take off their kevlars.

Now before I get some comments from Jarheads - its the same in the Marines - I've known several who have an odd fascination with their hair.

I have no advice to give - when I DID have hair (its been over 8 years), I used hair spray - Consort - let it dry on, then brushed through it. I probably head a different hair style than you, though. A "mega hold" was not required.

Adam

PS: I actually got a strange sense of missing my hair just now - odd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Paul Mitchell's Slick Works... medium hold but doesn't look like you have much in your hair.. or Paul Mitchell's Wax Works... better hold, still flexible.

For the love of Pete, though, please avoid the "hair helmet" look.  One of my buddies at work styles his hair nicely but he's got so much product in it it's board stiff and I'm worried about tripping and putting an eye out on it!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Polyglycoate!lasts for 60 days!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Two words: [size=4]Lady Clarol[/size=4]

Jus kiddin, C.O.

[8D]

Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#37]
One word:

ELMER'S!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't believe you guys left out the obvious CLP.

Captain, It really does sound like there is a problem with the contents of the products and the reaction to your type of hair and scalp, I'd do like the others said and seek professional advice, maybe a dermatoligist.

BMB
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't believe you guys left out the obvious CLP.

Captain, It really does sound like there is a problem with the contents of the products and the reaction to your type of hair and scalp, I'd do like the others said and seek professional advice, maybe a dermatoligist.

BMB
View Quote

That may be true, execpt for other people I know, they get the white flakes too. but not as much, however they also don't use as much as me....
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#40]

I suppose you'd call me a fag if I told you that I buy the magazine GQ (Gentalmens Quarterly) every month? Well, I do, anything wrong with being a yuppie?? (but PRO gun)...
View Quote

Hey, I have no problem with you fellas whose barn doors swing the other way. Just don't let me catch you staring at my butt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Hey, I have no problem with you fellas whose barn doors swing the other way. Just don't let me catch you staring at my butt.
View Quote

For most people, flat, saggy & hairy asses are a real turn OFF.

(but either way, i'm really not gay. sorry.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Corporal Agarn on F-Troop used bacon grease.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread reminds me of a tee shirt I saw at Knob Creek yesterday it said: "Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!"  Hee Rock and Roll!
TF
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Okay here's a "serious" answer.  I used to use KY jelly but my finger kept slipping off the trigger!
BAAAAAAAAAAWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAA!
TF
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Okay here's a "serious" answer.  I used to use KY jelly but my finger kept slipping off the trigger!
BAAAAAAAAAAWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAA!
TF
View Quote

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Ummmm,  I don't think that was a trigger your finger was on(in?).....

sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top