Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2002 12:05:10 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting one of these.  I have read that the colors and resolution are not as good as a CRT.

I have also read that they are slower than a CRT.  

Does anyone have one of these?  How do you like it?  Games play ok on them?
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a bunch on my work computers, I am using twinview for most of the computers here and they are phenomenal.  I have a main screen, and then a secondary desktop screen for charts and graphs.

Way cool.

For games, they are great also, no problem see yet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad bought a new gateway and opted for an 17" LCD. I originally told him to get the 19" regular size model. After using the flat panel Id have to say he made the right choice! ITs very very nice. The color and picture are great. Im not sure if there are any drawbacks but I cant visually see any. It looks alot nicer on your comp desk and it just makes for cleaner more open area. I recommend one if youve got the dough!
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Sony Trinitron 19" CRT.  I thought about the flat panel Sony, but figured in the next year or so prices would go down on the LCD monitors.  I think the resolution on the CRT is better than the LCD monitors.  If you go with the CRT make SURE you get a Sony Trinitron flat screen.  They are SWEET, but big!
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm viewing a MAG LT501, parent company "Proview".  Looks good!  15" LCD replaced a Sony 19" CRT.  I was apprenhesive, at first(size), but I'm happy now.

This is a replacement for the original LT501 I bought.  The first one had serious issues.  It was crap.  

I had a 2 month email and phone battle with these people over whether my monitor was bad or not...

I finally got a replacement monitor after countless hours of "customer service" and "tech support".  All BULLSHIT!

As I said, I am happy with my current monitor, but the customer service I received at Proview was AWFUL!!!

I hope someone here has had a better experience.

my .02

Link Posted: 8/17/2002 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
yes most one you find in best buy, CC, ect are "slow" they have on average a 40-50ms Rise/Fall (50 rise, 50 fall). you can get better ones on the net. BUT they cost you. 15ms Rise/Falls are good for gaming/movies. but for office use the 50ms's are fine.

Planar & Cornea Systems, both make good gaming/movie LCDs Cornea has a 25ms Rise/Fall unit, planar has a 15ms Rise / 10ms Fall.

rise means how long it takes to turn the pixel from full off to full on. and fall is the reverse.

faster = better for games/movies

One more thing to note, LCDs must be run in their recommended mode to look good, 1-1 pixel usage. running the below their recommened setting causes it to look "rough".

A 15" LCD is 1024x768, so the best res to run it in is 1024x768. Running it at 800x600 leaves 224x168 extra pixels. Since the picture extends from edge to edge regardless of setting. It will then stretch over those pixels. Roughening the image. This does not happen on a regular CRT as much. But it does happen, though far less noticable. Why I cant fully explain, because I do not know. Goto BB, CC and change the monitor res for a LCD from its current to another. Watch what happens to the text. Then set it back to its normal mode. See what I mean?
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been running a ViewSonic VE170 Viewpanel 17" and I really like it.

Quality, and clarity are excellent.

I'll stick with the flat panels.....I'm not buying them...  
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I use 6 x 17" flat panels and they are a life saver. If you are only going to use one you really do need a 17" or larger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the replies.  I have found some info on them and it says they are slower then CRT's.

I was wondering can an individual actually SEE a difference?

Maybe?

I really love the size of the flat panels too.  I just wish they wasnt so damn expensive.

I am actually considering a sony and a view sonic.  I am gonna go to best buy and compusa tomorrow and look for myself.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
302HO,

I have been selling these for about 2-3 years.  The best I have seen are the KDS brand.  They don't cost more than the Viewsonics, NECs, and Sony's but IMHO the KDS has the BEST color.  They also have a kick ass warranty where they will advance swap a defective LCD and pay the freight both ways.  I have an LG which is good, but the KDSs are better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
shadow its time to update your stock then, look at both Planar and Cornea Systems. both have flats that rea as good as CRTs for games/movies.

the reason i keep saying games/movies is those 2 move far faster than you moving amouse across the screen or draggin a window about.

can you see the dif? goto BB, CC use one with a flat and open a window. now drag it around at high speed. see the trail? if you do that on the higher end ones like Planar you wont see it as much. CRTs may show it a small bit less than the planar, ect.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#11]
LCD's have become very affordable.  I got a 15" for $350.

15" doesn't sound big, but the screen size on LCD's are measured differently than on CRT's.  It's the actual usable screen, rather than the width of the cathode ray tube inside the monitor.

Sales guy said that they're not as good for games, but on Operation Flashpoint it's only detriment is for seeing small targets far off in the background.  I'm sure it'd be a lot better if I had a bigger screen.

I want to have a setup like Hielo's, for the same application.  But I'm still po'. [:(]
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Well gentlemen, i have decided to go with a 19" CRT flat trinitron.  I looked at some flat panels earlier today.  I really wasnt impressed with them.  The contrast wasnt very i thought.  Clearity didnt seem right either.  I figured i would play it safe for now and go with the CRT.

Hell, next year or so the flat screens will be alot cheaper.

Anyhow, thanks for the information you have shared.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Good choice! [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top