Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 12/5/2012 5:57:05 PM EDT
I saw a long thread on another site about thing people found on on trails, things like bodies and stuff. Whats the oddest or creepiest things you guys have found?

EDIT: Assume this is allowed, if not someone please let me know. This is the thread i got the idea from in case anyone wants to read it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/847470-weirdcreepy-things-youve-found-on-the-trail/
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A pair of glowing yellow eyes, at night.  I hit it with my Surefire, nothing there.  I ran like a sumbitch.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been many threads like that here. Probably with the same stories as the other site.

Was out shooting with some friends from work(security), we were in an ex-police Caprice... Got flagged down about halfway down the mountain, some guy had pulled into a muddy pulloff on the side of a NF road and put a rifle in his mouth...

Family went camping in the Grand Tetons when I was a kid... Woke up in the morning with a moose standing outside the tent.

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Not in the woods, but in the wild.  In a canyon, in the desert, in northern Arizona.

Anasazi ruins:

Anasazi pottery shards:

Anasazi granary with very old corn cobs:
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not in a forest, but in a canyon, in the desert, in northern Arizona.

Anasazi ruins:
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/5936/img0544nk.jpg
Anasazi pottery shards:
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/3662/img0623ym.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/7485/img0620dp.jpg

Thats crazy, you just happened to stumble upon that?
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not in a forest, but in a canyon, in the desert, in northern Arizona.

Anasazi ruins:
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/5936/img0544nk.jpg
Anasazi pottery shards:
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/3662/img0623ym.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/7485/img0620dp.jpg

Thats crazy, you just happened to stumble upon that?

I was with someone who had learned about the area from friends.  He showed me quite a few sites.  These are pictures from 3 of them.  The first is about 10 miles from the other two, which are separated by about 1/2 mile.  All are more than 20 miles from the nearest road.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Was walking the woods squirrel hunting, or maybe it was deer. I was young forgive me.

Walked upon a tree that had a ball or long hair hanging in it. The hair/fur was about the size of a basketball. Nothing discernable just that t was hair. It was hanging by either a vine or a rope about 2 feet off the ground.

This was on a property that belonged to a family that had a crazy guy as a cousin. The crazy guy was known to abuse dogs and do really bad things to them. It's was creepy for a 12 year old.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
A lemon party in progress. I backed out quickly
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Cousin and I were walking through woods when we were kids and came up on a KKK ralley. They were wearing the hoods and all. We set a land speed record running home.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Got turned around while hunting in Louisiana near Ft Polk.  Pushed through the brush into a graveyard with open graves and old rotten caskets laying everywhere.  The smell was horrible and the Lt and I looked at each other, white as sheets and started running down a trail away from there.  It was the scariest thing I have ever come across.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]
While hiking in the woods around Red Stone arsenal I stumbled upon some black box cars with plastic coffins, leg shackles, and  a guillotine mounted at the front inside.

True story.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was a kid, I found an unexploded hand grenade once. One of the old "pineapple" type. I called the cops and they send a Sheriff's deputy to come get it. Meh...
Before anybody says it was one of those training grenades sold at gunshows, this was found not far from an old training camp.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
While walking in the woods scouting I heard something following me.

Freaked my dog out to no end, she kept turning around and growling low at whatever was behind us.

Never saw what it was, when I stopped, it stopped, when I walked I could head it snapping twigs behind me.

Got to the truck, threw the dog in and drove like hell.

She has never acted like that before or since, I snapped a picture of her looking back while we were walking out

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
In, I love these threads
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Freaked my dog out to no end, she kept turning around and growling low at whatever was behind us.

Never saw what it was, when I stopped, it stopped, when I walked I could head it snapping twigs behind me.

She has never acted like that before or since, I snapped a picture of her looking back while we were walking out

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/Ember/IMG_3252.jpg

Wow, her fur is standing up!    
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Once, while lost, I found a complete pony skeleton. It had been picked and bleached completely clean where it died, and was in perfect anatomical position. I was surprised scavengers hadn't scattered it.

We stopped to photograph a waterfall next to a very steep mountain road. Cliff face on one side, and sheer drop on the other. There was just enough room to park our car, and the waterfall started 100 feet above the road, and dropped well below it. Sitting at the base of the falls was a pickup truck. We traced his tire tracks back, looked like he was drunk or sleepy and nearly went off the cliff, instead he drove into the creek, a good 30 - 40 foot fall. There was dried blood in the cab, and a trail up to the road. Tools and stuff were scattered all over the place. Evidently he made his way up to the road and either walked or hitched out.

When we were in jr. high, we found a makeshift camp near the creek about a mile from our house. Shortly after, a pot grow operation got busted there. Lucky we didn't surprise the growers, or step on their traps.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to Teoc
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
A few buddies and I hike around a small lake near Emigrant Pass here in Ca. It is at 6,000 ft elevation and we hike and camp at it to start conditioning for the yearly Shasta climb. We sometimes will go up for a quick fishing trip as well. While out hiking a marked trail near the lake  eight years ago, I spotted something way out of place. It was 8" rubber pink dildo. We poked it with a stick, had a good laugh as to who dropped it the year before, and left it there. We named the finger on the lake dong point and see the pink rubber pleasure stick there each year we go back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Abandoned 55 gallon drums of agent orange that had rusted open creating pools of nothing growing around them. Creepy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Hell if I know, it's up in the hills, I live in the delta, those hill folk are fucking weird.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A Squatch? In WI? I'll be right over!
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
lets see heres a creepy thing that happened while I was at work with coworkers, not really in the woods as I was about half a mile outside the city of snohomish in washington state, we pulled up to our tie off point I looked up river and knoticed something odd so we motored up to the object and it turned out to be a capsized aluminum dingy, it had been pretty nasty out weatherwise so we were like crap we will be callin the police to come pick up a body, so we flipped the boat and it was empty no body but there were several bags down in the rocks where the boat was turned over, one backpack had a pisspot ton of knives in it, almost ran my hand down a friggin kitchen knife that had been mounted on a bamboo pole like a spear needless to say that got secured and a coworker hopped up on shore and found several purses with various credit cards and id's etc, called the cops it was an interesting time
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#25]
In the late eighties we found a 15' pentagram carved in earth with dead critters amongst it. I did a donut on it with my RM80
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Two bikes doing a lesbian.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#27]
These are the greatest threads ever.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A few buddies and I hike around a small lake near Emigrant Pass here in Ca. It is at 6,000 ft elevation and we hike and camp at it to start conditioning for the yearly Shasta climb. We sometimes will go up for a quick fishing trip as well. While out hiking a marked trail near the lake  eight years ago, I spotted something way out of place. It was 8" rubber pink dildo. We poked it with a stick, had a good laugh as to who dropped it the year before, and left it there. We named the finger on the lake dong point and see the pink rubber pleasure stick there each year we go back.

LOL!  It wasn't in the woods, but on the shoulder of a road going through woods that my wife and I were walking down.  I didn't see it, but of course she did.  What a disturbing find
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Back at my moms old house in Colorado in the mountains, she lived right next to a national forest. Being an adventurer I decided to walk one of the trails, apparently there was a crazy guy who hated people for going on "his" trail and wrote and carved " I see you" or "im watching you" or "watch your dog" on all of the trees, being 15 at the time, I had a really fun time writing swears and things under his writings. Every once in a while I would hike the mountains, going up those was fun and once found a old campsite with empty beer cans that have been there a long while, farher up I found a rotting and crude pouch half way burried in the ground. Nothing fancy but exiting that day
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in the woods quite a bit. At night I see deer, coyotes, owls,, and the usual assortment of kittehs.

The weirdest thing I've ever found was 3000 quaaludes. Also some women in comfortable shoes grooming each other.

ETA: forgot about the Beavers, with 4 legs

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Somebody wrecked a Lockheed T2V (1960s jet trainer) in the woods in West Milford where I used to live. I never heard the details of the landing, but it was largely intact. Whoever operated it removed the electronics and engine but left the body in place. The woods were pretty thick and there was a marsh in between it and the road, so they probably decided it was easier to leave it there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Two tombstones. Whatever was buried underneath wasn't buried very deep as the mound was pretty pronounced. I just kept walking...
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I had just moved to Sparta, MO and a chunk of Mark Twain National forest was about 15 minutes away. I was used to pretty much hunting in and around my parents' farm in Polk county, so I thought that hunting strange woods with slightly different flora/fauna was the reason things just "didn't feel right" the first time I went squirrel hunting in there.  Woods were quiet, no titimice, no blue jays, no "lbb"s, nothing.  Walking out toward the trail head where my car was,  I found saw a sheet of college-ruled paper, inside a clear document protector, nailed to a white oak.  It was a hand-scribbled note from a woman's father, stating that this was the draw where his daughter's body was found and that if anyone knew anything about the homicide to contact the Christian County Sherrif's department.  Creeped me the fuck out.  I've been back and the woods never felt as moody as they did that day.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Somebody wrecked a Lockheed T2V (1960s jet trainer) in the woods in West Milford where I used to live. I never heard the details of the landing, but it was largely intact. Whoever operated it removed the electronics and engine but left the body in place. The woods were pretty thick and there was a marsh in between it and the road, so they probably decided it was easier to leave it there.

About the same thing here.  Some friends and I heard the story of a small one engine plan that crashed into a ridge near where we grew up.  We were bored teenagers, so we went and searched for it - took us 2 days but we found it.  
Too hard to get out, so they left it there.
We knew the guy died in the crash, and all was cool till we were poking around and found the sole of a shoe and a wristwatch......it got a little more somber at that point and we boogied outta there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, I found an unexploded hand grenade once. One of the old "pineapple" type. I called the cops and they send a Sheriff's deputy to come get it. Meh...
Before anybody says it was one of those training grenades sold at gunshows, this was found not far from an old training camp.

Coincidence??  
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cougar I guarantee you. They will trail you for miles if they think they can get the drop on you or your dog.

I have found bodies but not in the woods. Also offroading in Freetown State Forest I found a kind of a village settlement in the middle of it.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#37]
when i was in high school me and one of my buds found an operating still while we were riding dirt bikes in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I have always wanted to go explore this. It's not far from me.

Long read, but great pictures of the abandoned Nuclear Facility in Dawson Forest.

Dawsonville, GA
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I met a guy while coming down from the Chimney Trail in the Smoky Mountains, where it intersects with the Appalachian Trail, he was in a business suit, complete with dress shoes and everything and asked me where the nearest parking lot was.  I let him pass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Two bikes doing a lesbian.

Wat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Hiking in the woods and found a small makeshift shelter with wood stove and a table both made from rocks and spray foam. There was a pack of smokes on the table with a bag of weed inside.  Couple years later it was in the news. Place burned down and caught half the mountain on fire.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Jersey ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I met a guy while coming down from the Chimney Trail in the Smoky Mountains, where it intersects with the Appalachian Trail, he was in a business suit, complete with dress shoes and everything and asked me where the nearest parking lot was.  I let him pass.
View Quote

Did he look like this guy?

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#45]
My friend invited me out to a bush party in an area I did not know. I was deep in the woods and knew I went the wrong way but could not turn around. I went around a turn and there were 5 people holding spears, swords and torches walking towards me. I kept on driving at the same speed and forced them off of the road. I did like a 30 point turn 50 yards away as they walked towards me. I just floored it and drove down the road and did not stop until I hit pavement. I texted my friend asking if they were playing a joke or something on me.. he gave me better directions after that but I just went home.

big deal, I know.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Sasquatch.  Clearly.

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#47]

One moon-lit night over 6 years ago, I was out at a lake about 40 minutes from my house fishing for smelt (never caught any).  It was about a mile walk from where I parked my car.  The stream that fed the lake had this animal in it and I fished it out with some sticks.  I posted it here but no one was able to identify it.  It was a creepy night.  Two drunk guys show up and started to build a fire while I was wading in the water.  They were going to fish later:

This is was still in my photobucket account.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q5WwoO5R5ig
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#49]
A friend and I were wandering around in SE Costa Rica near Panama when we decided to trek down the coast.  We originally started our hike on the beach but as the beach turned into jungle we ventured onto a trail that lead into the woods thinking that perhaps it doubled back onto the beach we had already passed.  So after walking a little bit we saw a clearing ahead and assumed it was about to open back up to the beach.  As we entered the clearing we noticed a very old looking cabin with some kind of orchard laid out around it.  Area looked very run down and abandoned.  Realizing we weren't where we thought we were but still seeing the opportunity to a explore a little we began towards the cabin.  As we did we stopped when we heard something originate from the cabin.  Sounded like a spoon being scraped against the inside of a pot.  We sat there listening to this eerie sound when the realization suddenly came over us that we were on someone's land that didn't appear to be open to visitors in a foreign country where we weren't all that familiar with the language and on top of that we were lost.  We quietly made our way away from the area in an attempt to retrace our tracks.  By this time dark was beginning to fall and for the first time on our trip we began hearing the howling monkeys.   Ended up making our way back to the coast where we were able to make our way back to the car but it was definitely an interesting experience.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#50]
One summer years ago, a friend and I were exploring a WMA not far from Seneca Rocks in WV.  We were checking out the area for that falls hunt.  We went up into the WMA for several miles.  We came upon a camp site with a couple out doing the romantic thing.  Said hi and moved on.  We took a different trail out.  

That fall, we went up and passed the same point while hunting.  The tent was there, cooler, sleeping bags, etc. but all of it was shredded.  No bodies or anything like that but you could tell that it had been that way for a while.  Called the sheriff and reported it.  Couple had disappeared up there over the summer.  We told them about our encounter, they came out and collected the tent and gear.  The deputies that came out had a very uncomfortable look on their faces.  One mentioned that we needed to be very careful in "these woods" and that this probably wasn't the best place to hunt.  We asked why but they wouldn't say.  My friend said that he heard one of the deputies comment to another "I wonder if it got 'em."  

We left and found another place to hunt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top